MCC showing Serial Number/SMART data of Hard Disks

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

MCC showing Serial Number/SMART data of Hard Disks

Postby elmago » Jun 14th, '14, 17:28

Hi,
As a mostly GUI user of Mageia I would like to propose that MCC show hard disk serial numbers. This would allow quick identification of disks in a RAID setup where the common procedure is to use the same disk model for all RAID members. This would also prevent a mixup of same model disks during partition table manipulation.

Currently I am struggling with a member disappearing from my RAID-1 array and neither the "Browse Configuration Hardware" nor the "Manage Disk Partitions" option in MCC displays the hard disk serial number. To someone unfamiliar with commands it would take some digging to know that "hdparm -I /dev/sdb" would show serial number. Wouldn't it be easier for the user to note down the last few digits of the serial numbers and check against the printed number on the hard disk stickers?

Attached are two screen shots which should display the serial number (particularly for Manage Disk Partitions). Disks (as well as SSDs) are getting cheaper and cheaper and quite a few of us use RAID setup for safeguarding data. Note that Fedora not only shows the serial number but also the SMART data to some extent.

Thanks.
Attachments
mageia4_mcc_BrowseConfigHW_HardDisk.jpeg
mageia4_mcc_BrowseConfigHW_HardDisk.jpeg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
mageia4_mcc_diskPart.jpeg
mageia4_mcc_diskPart.jpeg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
elmago

Re: MCC showing Serial Number/SMART data of Hard Disks

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '14, 20:16

Please report that as an enhancement request, after searching if it hasn't been reported yet already: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions