Mageia User Repository (MUR) ?

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Mageia User Repository (MUR) ?

Postby ghostery » May 13th, '14, 22:16

Hi folks,

Do you have any plans to build anything closer to the archlinux AUR ?
I'm software developer and would like to expand my audience and include those of you that are running mageia.

By the way, if you could replace that ugliness the default application launcher with Lancelot like many other distros have done that it would be a perfect start and eyecandy combination for the newcomers.
You could also create your own desktop theme and window decorations too.

The package manager is god damn slow in comparison to other distros package managers, although I got brand new ssd that drakrpm feels awkward and freezes often.
There is one more thing that I don't get, why I get reminded about orphan packages like "dolphin" or my gpu drivers that should be removed, such crucial packages should not be removed by default, unless there's another gpu drivers or file manager installed.

Merge the package managers installation,removal,seeking,updating,upgrading in one package manager and not urpm(e,i,q). Last by not least, why the heck the installer doesn't have "back" button ? I find it annoying everytime to reboot my computer in order to reverse the changes. If the problem is in your installer, then fork the Anaconda installer(since Mageia is using gtk3 this shouldnt be a problem) and pimp it accordingly to the Mageia's needs.
ghostery

Re: Mageia User Repository (MUR) ?

Postby leuhmanu » May 14th, '14, 01:06

Ouch all these topic in one thread... :)

So the main question, the answer is no, nothing planned. But you can create rpm and show it in your website, and/or create a package request.

For everything else, it depends of feeling/design, or are bugs already reported (back button in the installer, old one, but switching back to the redhat fork is certainly not a solution), or should be reported with more detail (for the gpu drivers as example)
Help the bugsquad !
leuhmanu

Postby ghostery » May 14th, '14, 09:31

Take a look at the code of other distros installers and implement the back button in yours then, you know that the first impression is the most important.

In the Mageia's Welcome application that's 100% copy of the Manjaro's Welcome application, you don't have to use 3rd party module such as "simplejson", because json is included in all python versions.
The code in that applications isn't written in mind of perfomance, but "just make it work". Make it python 2 and 3 compatibile, it wouldn't take you more than 1 minute.

At the end, what is the reason to ship the mageia images with the library zeitgeist included by default ?
ghostery

Postby leuhmanu » May 14th, '14, 10:42

Open a bug report a propose your patchs.
Help the bugsquad !
leuhmanu

Postby napcok » May 14th, '14, 17:43

ghostery wrote:In the Mageia's Welcome application that's 100% copy of the Manjaro's Welcome application ...

Very interesting, I'm sure it is not a copy - as mageiawelcome author, but I have to look at Manjaro's one :)
ghostery wrote:The code in that applications isn't written in mind of perfomance, but "just make it work". Make it python 2 and 3 compatibile, it wouldn't take you more than 1 minute.

Feel free to rewrite it/improve it/send patches etc.
napcok

Postby ghostery » May 15th, '14, 10:27

I didn't came here to join your development team and re-write your applications, as I am busy to maintain and develop new applications for the company that I work for.
The Manjaro's Welcome application exist before yours and there are too many similarities between the design and the source code, for example is the module import naming "from simplejson import dumps as to_json" which is exactly the same in Manjaro's.

Look, I'm not blaming you for copying their application and partly the source code, but your applications need a lot improvement.
Learn more about the Object Oriented Programming and always prefer the standard modules over using 3rd party one.

Why isn't gcc installed by default ?

This is my last day with Mageia and I'd like to mention one more thing, in the SSD wiki page add the option "noatime" (discard,noatime). Verify Trim support with hdparm -I /dev/sda |grep TRIM
The "Security Settings" in the Mageia's Control Center is freezing and won't let me to configure the firewall.
ghostery

Return to Ideas and suggestions