Desktop environment, install and uninstall

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Desktop environment, install and uninstall

Postby Mag » Jun 21st, '11, 21:14

Hi :) ... Long chat with some guys who had tried several distributions and they said that they would like a way to install and uninstall easily, fast and secure desktop environments: KDE such a complete uninstall and install a full Gnome, GNOME least remove and install a complete LKDE or LKDE minimum. E include changes in the KDM login manager for GDM, etc ... Not having to select packages and dependencies to mess with as I could understand ... bye...
Join us in creating the world day/week/month: Free and Open. By Mag... Also see: List International World Day.
One of the good things of Live CDs is that you can use Linux when and where you want included on borrowed computers or work :P
Mag

Re: Desktop environment, install and uninstall

Postby Lebarhon » Jun 21st, '11, 22:21

Hi,
You have the meta-packages. For example, task-gnome and task-gnome-minimal for the DE Gnome.
Lebarhon

Postby Mag » Jun 21st, '11, 22:27

:) thanks, I did not know :oops: ...
Join us in creating the world day/week/month: Free and Open. By Mag... Also see: List International World Day.
One of the good things of Live CDs is that you can use Linux when and where you want included on borrowed computers or work :P
Mag

Postby Mag » Jun 22nd, '11, 19:46

sorry for the double post, but add more information.

What I do is try to go further, innovate, put myself in the novice and non-technical users to not have to be using the package manager. And that includes an option to try a desktop environment, see if one likes, it feels good to him, that is something that a user with little knowledge in a matter of few clicks to change desktop, test it, choose a default desktop, or uninstall it if you do not like.

Another thing you have to do is if a person downloads the Gnome Live CD and do not like and feels uncomfortable, you want to try KDE and can do an easy and convenient.

Sorry if you do not understand, sometimes I get carried away by the imagination and I have no knowledge of advanced study ...
Mag

Postby Lebarhon » Jun 22nd, '11, 22:44

I think you aren't on the right way to improve Linux. I'm not an IT technician and don't know that much in computer science. However, I think that a linux based OS well installed with good drivers and codecs and so on, is more simple to use that any other OS and more productive (only one example, with Linux, I never had to redo a job because of a power failure or a forgotten save). You can change your DE as often as you like by a simple click in the login window. The Linux installation is far quicker than Windows' and needs the same knowledges. The Mageia Control Center is more user-friendly than the Windows settings panel too much complicated and confused.
In my opinion, novice users needs rather better drivers, codecs, and hardware detection. Help is the more often asked about this.
Lebarhon

Return to Ideas and suggestions