If asked what direction I'd want Mageia to take...

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

If asked what direction I'd want Mageia to take...

Postby ca-on-adam » Jun 14th, '13, 05:43

Hi,

In IRC today it was mentioned that Mageia gets to be "what we make it" because there's no politics or corporate responsibility. This distribution is fortunate enough to be run by a community, and that means that its future is shaped in part by our values and expectations. I took a moment to figure out where I'd like to see Mageia headed, because I wasn't sure initially what I'd even want.

My affection for using the command line instead of GUI tools is going to give me a different perception of Mageia then the majority of users. That said:

In short, I'd like to see Mageia focus on (a) staying true to the core configuration of other "key" RPM distros (Fedora, CentOS, etc), and (b) continue to have the unique aspects inherited in a time before it became Mageia, such as implimenting the urpmi tools for software management. For reasons already stated, I'm not interested in it being 'flashy'. I feel that Mageia has inherited a style that's worth keeping.

As I've been using Ubuntu for the past 5 years, I must admit that I already have habits and expectations that I got from Ubuntu. I'll have to keep in mind that it isn't the right perspective to expect Mageia to follow the same path. Certainly, every OS will have strengths, but it will also have flaws. (take for example Unity as a default desktop). I want to get to know Mageia's style and help it to become better at being Mageia.
ca-on-adam

Re: If asked what direction I'd want Mageia to take...

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '13, 19:50

ca-on-adam wrote:In short, I'd like to see Mageia focus on (a) staying true to the core configuration of other "key" RPM distros (Fedora, CentOS, etc)

What do you mean by that?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions