Tricks

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Tricks

Postby RoyD » Apr 12th, '13, 10:16

Recently I was involved with Best PDF, under basic support. Someone with alot more experience than I suggested to make this program work better (Inkscape) ¨ The trick is, you need to install pdf2svg first. After that, you can open pdfs (inkscape converts them to svgs, and makes font substitutions according to what you have installed), and either select an object and "ungroup" it, or you can use the node selection tool (looks like a skinny triangle pointing at a circle inside a curve), to select individual objects for editing. The user interface definitely comes with a learning curve.¨
All really,really good.
The point I wish to bring across is maybe we need a forum for tricks to improve the programs we could/do use. I would have never known to install this program pdf2svg unless some one said try this.
Maybe this is too big of an ask?
Cheers Roy
Using Mageia 5 KDE 32bit on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600, Asus P5K-E, XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb, 4096 MB ram
RoyD

Re: Tricks

Postby Ken-Bergen » Apr 12th, '13, 10:36

RoyD wrote:The point I wish to bring across is maybe we need a forum for tricks to improve the programs we could/do use. I would have never known to install this program pdf2svg unless some one said try this.
Maybe this is too big of an ask?
Cheers Roy
We already have that, it's called "The magician suggests..."
Feel free to post your PDF editing solution there.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 12th, '13, 18:32

RoyD wrote:The point I wish to bring across is maybe we need a forum for tricks to improve the programs we could/do use. I would have never known to install this program pdf2svg unless some one said try this.

Best solution is to open a bug report against inkscape, as enhancement request, and ask that pdf2svg should be added
as Suggests to inkscape. That way everybody who installs inkscape normally will benefit, and the workaround with the
forum thread isn't necessary anymore.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby RoyD » Apr 13th, '13, 05:28

Thank you for the suggestion. Filled in the bug report
Using Mageia 5 KDE 32bit on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600, Asus P5K-E, XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb, 4096 MB ram
RoyD

Postby isadora » Apr 13th, '13, 09:26

Please RoyD, can you provide a link to the mentioned bug-report?

Thank you! ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby wobo » Apr 13th, '13, 09:50

wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Return to Ideas and suggestions