Modernize the package

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Modernize the package

Postby Louis » Jun 6th, '11, 22:30

Hi,

My first distribution was Mandriva Linux back in 2005.
It was nice and beautifully and it was difficult to install new programs and get hardware like my ipw2200 to work.
I switched to Ubuntu and I just works including my wifi, but in these days they make some "un-nice" decisions away from the community.
I've tried Mandriva now and then, but I always got mad about the package manager.
I didn't understand why I could see multiple versions of the same software packages and I didn't find EasyUrpimi easy at all.

Now I've shortly tried Mageia and it looks kinda nice :)
But I have some ideas for the package manager:

Why do I need to see booth 32 and 64-bit versions of software on a 64-bit system. Why don't you disable repositories thats not made for my architecture?
"Please insert Install DVD". Why do I need to do that? I've internet access and no problems with downloading software from the repositories. I'll recommand you to disable that. The most people have internet access and those who don't can manually enable the Install Media as a repository.
Louis

Re: Modernize the package

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jun 6th, '11, 23:12

Louis wrote:Hi,

My first distribution was Mandriva Linux back in 2005.
It was nice and beautifully and it was difficult to install new programs and get hardware like my ipw2200 to work.
I switched to Ubuntu and I just works including my wifi, but in these days they make some "un-nice" decisions away from the community.
I've tried Mandriva now and then, but I always got mad about the package manager.
I didn't understand why I could see multiple versions of the same software packages and I didn't find EasyUrpimi easy at all.

Now I've shortly tried Mageia and it looks kinda nice :)
But I have some ideas for the package manager:

Why do I need to see booth 32 and 64-bit versions of software on a 64-bit system. Why don't you disable repositories thats not made for my architecture?
"Please insert Install DVD". Why do I need to do that? I've internet access and no problems with downloading software from the repositories. I'll recommand you to disable that. The most people have internet access and those who don't can manually enable the Install Media as a repository.
You can disable the DVD repositories in MCC "Configure media sources for install and update", they are there for people with low bandwidth.

As for 32bit on a 64bit system, not everything has been converted to 64bit and much of what has still needs bits and pieces from 32bit to work.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby ahmad » Jun 7th, '11, 00:08

The DVD is added as a source by default, and it makes sense that it's an opt-out option; not all new users will be able to figure out that they could enable that source.

As Ken said, you're free to enable/disable the sources to your liking, so this shouldn't pose a problem.
ahmad

Postby Louis » Jun 8th, '11, 21:31

ahmad wrote:The DVD is added as a source by default, and it makes sense that it's an opt-out option; not all new users will be able to figure out that they could enable that source.

As Ken said, you're free to enable/disable the sources to your liking, so this shouldn't pose a problem.

But the most new users would be frustrated about that they needed to put in their installation medium every time they need to install new software and many of these people don't know how to disable it. You could add an option to pop up in the package manager when there's not internet connection and ask if you wanted to use the installation media.

And many people would also be frustrated about seeing two software packages for the same package in the package manager (on x86_64 bit) for x86 if the software package also is available for x86_64. It's a very little set of software there ain't available for x86-64 on Linux these days and you could just add this in the x86_64 repos.

The time changes and sometimes you just have to make it a bit more difficult for a few people to make it quick and easy to use for the most people.

You don't have xfree-drivers included in the standard installation for those who have hardware there ain't supported in xorg?
Louis

Postby ahmad » Jun 8th, '11, 23:32

Feel free to file enhancement bug reports about any issues you think should/can be improved.

You don't have xfree-drivers included in the standard installation for those who have hardware there ain't supported in xorg?

Actually, all the Xorg free drivers are installed in a default installation; this is to ease switching graphics cards:
Code: Select all
$ urpmq --requires x11-driver-video
--requires behaviour changed, use --requires-recursive to get the old behaviour
x11-driver-video-ati
x11-driver-video-cirrus
x11-driver-video-fbdev
x11-driver-video-glint
x11-driver-video-intel
x11-driver-video-mach64
x11-driver-video-mga
x11-driver-video-neomagic
x11-driver-video-nouveau