A universal package installer like "Alien" only better.

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

A universal package installer like "Alien" only better.

Postby madpuppy » Jun 6th, '11, 07:27

I have no skill in programming, (matter of fact,being specifically learning handicapped in math I am not sure I could even learn programming if I tried) But, I have been a Linux user and financial donate(r) to Linux for well over 10 years. Mainly a Mandrake/driva user since 5.3 Festen. I don't know if this is feasible, or if it is just much too difficult to make/program but, I think having an APP integrated into mageia that is similar to Alien but with better functionality and integration (read intuitive and ease of use) with an easy to use gui wrapper over perl script plug ins (or maybe python) for various package types and distros. I think it would be great to be able to easily install APT packages made for Ubuntu/Debian or RPM packages made for SUSE, RH, PClinuxOS or Mandriva ect. to mageia with just a few clicks. And have it do it cleanly, you know, a plug in that handles an Ubuntu APT package (maybe a specific version as well) that reads the apt config file and determines the dependencies as well as moving the individual files from where they go in an Ubuntu distro to where they need to go in Mageia's file structure to operate properly. I think something like that would really expand greatly the software base of mageia. Or at least assist in giving the user access to apps and plug ins they may need without a whole lot of trouble or having the need to distro hop to get that specific functionality. especially since most developers (OSS or otherwise) lately always seem to have an Ubuntu package available for their software.

I hope that I explained my Idea correctly and that I get some feedback as to the pros and cons of such an app and if the Idea is good and feasible or just something that will turn out to be an ugly hack that could take away the incentive for developers to package for Magia specifically. ( I know that could be an issue, like when a dev uses wine to "port" over a windows app or game to Linux.)
madpuppy

Re: A universal package installer like "Alien" only better.h

Postby Zezinho » Jun 6th, '11, 16:31

Zezinho

Re: A universal package installer like "Alien" only better.

Postby peter1 » Jun 6th, '11, 19:57

I like the idea with a "Linux app installer" or what you want to call it. Any timeline when it will be implemented for real?
peter1

Re: A universal package installer like "Alien" only better.

Postby Germ » Jun 7th, '11, 13:08

Looks like it will be a while. They seem to be just getting started on it.
Starting in 1999: Mandrake > Mandriva > Mageia
Linux User #274693
Germ

Return to Ideas and suggestions