Linux is Bigger then you think

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Linux is Bigger then you think

Postby someonee » Dec 8th, '12, 09:19

I recently got into Mint Linux as a means of getting tired of windows 8 and I was impressed I tell you. Until my video driver stopped working or should I say it never worked. GT 430 L-Cheapo video card makes me happy on windows. So now I'm stuck in recovery mode.

Linux is on the edge of getting really big but I don't think it could ever take off if there such bad support for hardware. Maybe that a Microsoft conspiracy. Huhhh

Think about it Andriod - is Linux Mac - is Linux.... Mint is about as user friendly as it gets however better then windows 8 . then it goes down hill from there.

I go to get help from there forum What a missss information center... Enuf info to get you into trouble not enuf to do what you need. You could spend 5 hours and not get anything done. And after that amount of time would it be worth it. Even if I was smart enuf to change kernels WTF how complicated can it get.

So here is what they give me http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=117643 enuf to get it installed not enuf to tell me how to uninstall it after it does not work. What good is half information. Like half a plate of food. Half of what you need. One shoe fits right. that's all you need.

And that is where linux falls apart. It would be worth money it would be worth $5 tax to simply get the stupid driver working in under 5 minutes. But no its holy crap complicated is it not.

Maybe I'm off on a rant here.... But I'm trying to make a point...

LINUX is at the point where it could over take windows. But for whatever reason there still 10 years behind. I'm thinking next thing like nas. Taking a device installing a nas on $50 ebay device that has android. Because that is the power of linux. There all kinds of things linux could do.

Linux could be on phones/tablets it could be on home computers you name it.... but not when there is simple problems like this and miss information.

Think about it app store there money to be made. Who lives on free... Only so many people want to live in there parents basement.

YOU guys are so close its not funny.... I'm afraid is something does not happen then maybe you be left in the dark ages in the dust.
Android is not as open anymore as they used to be iphone is loosing steam Microsoft can't design a phone and Nokia is about as bad as Blackberry.

Its time to get serous it could happen. All those systems are basically based on linux.

Imagine having a system selling at Bestbuy

If everybody put there heads together it could happen. Pay $5 a year for hardware support pay nvidia or ati to make drivers that really work not just sort of sometimes. And require them to keep to not restrict the users. I know this make people not happy to think linux could cost money.... But if it it was better then windows 8 would people feel bad. You only feel bad if you had to pull your hair out because a driver is not working.
someonee

Re: Linux is Bigger then you think

Postby oj » Dec 8th, '12, 19:52

Hardware vendors don't often publish specs, so drivers have to be reverse-engineered. (except where the manufacturer releases their own Linux driver of course) It is a Microsoft 'conspiracy' in that MS gives vendors it's API and all the manufacturers care about is communicating with it. Microsoft drives hardware design.
oj

Postby M8R3t0f541 » Feb 5th, '13, 17:29

You have to thank Richard Stallman and his cult for creating this barrier between open software and commercial software.
Windows has a fixed API, the advantage is that yesterday's drivers still work, but there is no innovation.
Linux has an evolving API that may be different in each kernel release, the advantage is innovation, the disadvantage is that yesterday's driver doesn't work today.
M8R3t0f541

Postby simonhoare » Feb 14th, '13, 19:04

Well, 2 things:

1. If you lose your recovery partition e.g. by putting Mageia over the top, you might not be able to restore Windows to factory settings. I had this problem. Windows will always find a driver that's easy for it to locate but it doesn't have artficial intelligence and isn't capable of creative thought. The Intel driver was in my model's driver page on the OEM site. However, whenever I tried to install it at whatever stage of the process it said that my hardware doesn't support the driver. Huh? So let's not exaggerate how easy it is to install drivers on Windows. Most people simply don't have to do it. It's done by the OEM.

2. Installing Catalyst on Linux - i.e. the AMD/ATI driver - is often a slightly tricky process. Currently, I am currently running the Mageia 3 beta 2. First of all, I assumed major improvements had been made to the kernel or something, so quiet it was. However, randomly typing fglrxinfo into the terminal out of curiosity this morning gave a result. What had happened is that Mageia had installed the driver without even asking me. If that isn't good service, I don't know what is :-) Note that the confusion came from the fact that the beta was initially made available without the proprietary drivers, hence the confusion.

The reality is that Linux is a community of doers. If something is not right, people help each other out or get involved in the development. When you ask for help on a forum, it's not employees of a private company but other users like yourself who have varying experience levels. People try to be helpful but sometimes people think they know more than they do. I have been guilty of this. However, the advantage is that on the whole you are dealing with people who love Linux and have the same goals as you, so they generally are more motivated to help you and more knowledgable than a private company's customer service staff. I say "generally" because there are of course people in customer service doing a wonderful job.
simonhoare

Return to Ideas and suggestions