Greetings and a couple of friendly suggestions

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Greetings and a couple of friendly suggestions

Postby harleyrider1958 » Jun 2nd, '11, 02:40

I just downloaded, copied, and ran your new distro. Pretty good, but I feel it could be better. If the Linux community as a whole is going to win over Windows and Apple users then the distros that are put out should have compiled within them, at the very least, sound (Flash) already installed, WiFi cpabilities, and a huge volume of sotware such as Add/Remove Software or Synaptic Package Manager. These were the only shortcomings I recognized on my live CD. Other than that you've done great things here. I will still use Mageia in Virtualbox cause it is darn good.
THANK YOU for your time and consideration.
harleyrider1958

Re: Greetings and a couple of friendly suggestions

Postby isadora » Jun 2nd, '11, 02:57

harleyrider1958 wrote:...........................................If the Linux community as a whole is going to win over Windows and Apple users then the distros that are put out should have compiled within them, at the very least, sound (Flash) already installed, WiFi cpabilities, and a huge volume of sotware such as Add/Remove Software or Synaptic Package Manager. These were the only shortcomings I recognized on my live CD. Other than that you've done great things here. I will still use Mageia in Virtualbox cause it is darn good.
THANK YOU for your time and consideration.

It's not about Win'ning it's about "Choice of Freedom". To be able to run your "hard-earned money" on whatever you want, without restrictions laid through licenses.
And with the repositories configured in the appropriate way, one can get out of it whatever is needed.

SPM or MCC, whatever..........there mostly is a way to get, do what you intent to reach.

And, in the end, if you don't know what to find where. just drop a message right here in this great forum.

Very welcome to the Mageia-forum harleyrider1958, glad to have you on board!!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby ahmad » Jun 2nd, '11, 05:56

harleyrider1958 wrote:I just downloaded, copied, and ran your new distro. Pretty good, but I feel it could be better. If the Linux community as a whole is going to win over Windows and Apple users then the distros that are put out should have compiled within them, at the very least, sound (Flash) already installed

No can do, the Adobe Flash license doesn't allow Mageia to redistribute it, so it can't be installed by default. However in the official Nonfree repo you'll find a flash-player-plugin package, which is a skeleton package containing a script to download/install the Adobe Flash player.

WiFi cpabilities,

Please file a bug report at https://bugs.mageia.org and include the output of 'lspcidrake -v'.

and a huge volume of sotware such as Add/Remove Software or Synaptic Package Manager.

Open the Menu -> Install & Remove software, this will launch rpmdrake, which is the default GUI package manager in Mageia. After adding the online repositories, you'll get access to a plethora of packages of all sorts and for all purposes. For the highlights have a look at the relase notes.

[...]
ahmad

Postby Lebarhon » Jun 2nd, '11, 22:24

isadora wrote:And with the repositories configured in the appropriate way, one can get out of it whatever is needed.

On the sole condition that what you need aren't the proprietary drivers or firmwares for the Internet ! On the laptop Dell Inspiron 5150 for example, you can't have an internet connection with the Free DVD.
Lebarhon

Postby isadora » Jun 2nd, '11, 22:31

Lebarhon wrote:
isadora wrote:And with the repositories configured in the appropriate way, one can get out of it whatever is needed.

On the sole condition that what you need aren't the proprietary drivers or firmwares for the Internet ! On the laptop Dell Inspiron 5150 for example, you can't have an internet connection with the Free DVD.

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=372

But anyway, after enabling the appropriate repositories, one can get all these things not delivered standard in the Free-version.
Packages not available can always be requested through Bugzilla.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Ideas and suggestions