Mageia 3 LTS to Educacional Linux 5.0 - Brasil/MEC/UFPR/C3SL

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Mageia 3 LTS to Educacional Linux 5.0 - Brasil/MEC/UFPR/C3SL

Postby macxi » Jun 16th, '12, 19:27

Hello,

I present below a suggestion (that I have also presented at the Mageia do Brasil Forum and MandrivaBrazil Forum). I decided to present here first, in this forum (and after in the Mageia Wiki), because this is not exactly a proposal to Mageia 3, but maybe for Mageia 4:

1 - The development of Mageia Educational - LTS to be used by public schools in Brasil.

a - It should be LTS (Long Term Support) with 5 years (2013-2018) or (3 years march/2013 - march/2016 - new), with collaboration between Mageia and Mandriva/Conectiva in Brasil (or others company that provide professional support to the Mageia distro).

b - The development would continue to be coordinated by the Federal University of Parana - keeping the character nonprofit - but with partnership/support of Mandriva and Mageia
      c - cooperation with the University that could coordinate directly with the Mageia Team, that has demonstrated great competence and professional organization.
      d - teachers and students of the University, could participate directly in the development of Mageia distro, learn and experience the development process with the community of users and developers of Mageia.
      e - the use of Mageia changes little for the end user because the graph environment is the same, is KDE.
      f - all the base packages and the repository should be Mageia. Mandriva and other companies will only give support and help in maintaining, under the coordination of Team Mageia. (new)

2 -Issues / challenges:

This proposal will depend of the:

a - continuity, quality and stability of Kubuntu in the future;
      b - decisions of the Brazilian Government and University;
      c - decision of Mageia and Mandriva/Conectiva, that can help the Federal University of Parana, to develop the "Educational Mageia LTS" and adapt it to the requirements of the Brazilian government.

This proposal does not intend to be:

a - does not a criticism of the defects of Kubuntu, because Mageia also has flaws, like all distros.
      b - does not a criticism of the government the option (or University) to choose Kubuntu, it really is the best option right now, mainly because it is KDE and LTS.
      c - does not propose to create a conflict between two distros (which can weaken a good project, which is not my intention).
      d - The only goal is to strengthen the project helping the work of University of Parana, helping teachers to improve the project,
      e - benefits the free software, creating one more choice, more quality, more support, especially given the best for the end-user.

3 - Why this is a goog moment?
    a - It's been a few weeks the release of Mageia 2, and Mageia 3 is already being planned.
    b - next week should take Mageia will discuss the creation of the foundation that will develop the Mandriva distro (see here and here). Maybe, If they find a good idea, may give the help that Mageia needs to decide to create the Mageia LTS (see blog).
    c - Kubuntu 10.04 support ends next year, in 2013. on the other hand, the Educational Linux 5.0 is beginning to be discussed now, and the natural choice (and correct) is Kubuntu 12.04 (LTS 5 years). But what help they (teachers and students) will get to do this task?
    d - The University could receive help to develop the Educational Linux 5.0 to be released together with the Mageia 3, with everything that has the best and most current.

4 - Why Mageia?
    Because I believe the future of Mageia is promising and there are many favorable circumstances
    a - distro updated and with stability
    b - has a great KDE (and with Gnome also)
    c - has a great manager software which is the MCC
    d - has a great repository system software (with many software and stable)
    e - has an excellent community support, with great participation, great technical quality and solidarity, both in English and in Portuguese Brazil (pt_BR).
    f - is simple to obtain, install, configure and use.
    g - is all translated into my language Portuguese Brazil (pt_BR), since the installation process up to the interface after installation (and many other languages).
    h - is a great continuity of Mandriva 2010.1, except that the Mageia is made with the participation of the community and is getting better.
    i – Transparency with website, blog, forums, mailing lists, IRC, wiki...
    j - is a community distro and values ​​of non-profit organizations.
    k - have a good "error control system" (bugzilla, forum, mailing list etc.)

Historical Background:

a - In recent years, most Linux distributions "Brazilian" has been based on Debian (DEB / GNOME), especially those made by public institutions (universities, governments).
      b - I think this happened because Debian is a community distro, isn't a commercial distro (has a project stable for several years). But today, Mageia is also a community distro complete, standalone, with packages (RPM) own, and own team of developers.
      c - The Brazilian Educational Linux uses DEB packages, and opted to use the KDE graphical environment and is currently using KDE with Kubuntu (based on Ubuntu).
      d - However Ubuntu, with its graphical environment "Unit", it is spaced from the KDE / GNOME and may affect future compatibility with Kubuntu.
      e - If Mageia, which is still the 2nd release, have stability in your project, and sources of income (grants and donations) and be durable as Debian, will be adopted in long-term projects like this.

5 - Why Mandriva?
    a - Mandriva decided to use the version of Mageia as the basis for some of their products.
    b - The Mandriva/Conectiva has headquarters in Curitiba city, Paraná (state in southern Brazil).
    c - Mandriva has experience in products for education and translation of documentation into Portuguese of Brazil
    d - The development of Mandriva should be done by a foundation, which may give more freedom of decision.
    e - the possibility of Mandriva sign contracts with the Brazilian Government to support Mageia Education in Brazil.
    f - Mandriva of France and Russia already have experience with educational products and partnerships with government and public organizations.

6 - Why in Brazil?
    a - Because the Federal Government of Brazil, since 2006, has developed four versions of Educational Linux:

The Educational Linux 1, 2 and 3 were based on Debian - KDE. The Educational Linux 4.0 is based on Kubuntu 10.04 (LTS 3 years) and is being developed by the Federal University of Parana (coordinated by the "Center for Scientific Computing and Free Software" - C3SL) since 2010, and is doing an excellent job (this university is in Curitiba).

b - it is likely that the Government has already purchased (from 2007 to 2011), more than 1 million computers for public schools, with Educational Linux (debian-KDE or Kutuntu) instaled (see oficial report, page 25, in portuguese).
    c - there is plenty of quality documentation (about linux KDE) being edited by schools and universities throughout Brazil
    d - The Federal Government has provided training for the use of Linux Education for thousands of teachers and users.

7 - What is needed?
    a - Mageia stable, mainly with KDE (Gnome appendable)
    b - with the entire set of packages required by the education sector of Brasil (in Brazilian Portuguese language)
    c - Mageia 3.0 LTS (Long Term Support) (5 years) - 2013-2018 or Mageia 4.0 LTS (Long Term Support) (5 years) - 2014-2019 (like Kubuntu 12.04)
    d - agreement of Mandriva/Conectiva to provide people and resources to support Mageia LTS (Long Term Support) for 5 years.
    e - agreement and support of Mageia

8 -Possible positive outcomes:
    a - Educational Magea be implemented in schools in Brazil and other Portuguese speaking countries
    b - May be adopted by Russia, with support from Mandriva/Rosa-Poca - Edu Mandriva.
    c - will strengthen the linux as an educational tool and Mageia, which is a community distro.

:)
Last edited by macxi on Sep 14th, '13, 15:32, edited 57 times in total.
macxi

Re: Educational Linux/BR Mageia-Mandriva/Conectiva colabora

Postby marja » Jun 16th, '12, 21:00

Thanks, Macxi :D

I really like your proposal and am curious to see how everybody reacts and where it leads to.

Cheers,
marja
marja

Re:Mageia 3 LTS to Educacional Linux 5.0 - Brasil/MEC/UFPR/C

Postby macxi » Jun 17th, '12, 00:41

marja wrote:Thanks, Macxi :D
I really like your proposal and am curious to see how everybody reacts and where it leads to.
Cheers,
marja

Marja,

I present this idea now, because it seems a good moment:

- On the side of Mageia, it's been a few weeks the release of Mageia 2, and Mageia 3 is already being planned.

- On the side of Mandriva, next week should take place a meeting to discuss the creation of the foundation that will develop the Mandriva distro (see here and here). Maybe, If they find a good idea, may give the help that Mageia needs to decide to create the Mageia LTS (see blog).

- By the side of Educational Linux 4.0, Kubuntu 10.04 support ends next year, in 2013, the Educational Linux 5.0 is beginning to be discussed now, and the natural choice (and correct) is Kubuntu 12.04 (LTS 5 years). But what help they (teachers and students) will get to do this task?

- On the other hand, the University could receive help to develop the Educational Linux 5.0 to be released along with the Mageia 3, with everything that has the best and most current.

This proposal is a very complex, may still be just a simple idea.

Cheers
Macxi
Last edited by macxi on Aug 5th, '12, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
macxi

Postby marja » Jun 17th, '12, 12:10

macxi wrote: and Mageia 3 is already being planned.
i

It is a pity that proposals for Mageia 3 specifications had to be made before June 15th :(

https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-May/016004.html

But there are still people working on
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Edu_SIG

marja

Re: Mageia 3 LTS to Educacional Linux 5.0 - Brasil/MEC/UFPR/

Postby macxi » Jun 17th, '12, 13:10

marja wrote:
macxi wrote: and Mageia 3 is already being planned.

It is a pity that proposals for Mageia 3 specifications had to be made before June 15th :(
https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-May/016004.html
But there are still people working on
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Edu_SIG

Marja,

No, the error is mine. I apologize to everyone for making this proposal as wide, outside the proper location, and within and outside the parameters suggested by the Mageia Team for the Mageia 3.

But I did so because I think it is a very complex proposal, which is not exactly the "Mageia 3." Maybe for the "Mageia 4".

So it was not clear to me the best way to present this proposal, so I decided to first discuss here, on the forum, to present my personal way to understand this situation:

1 - On the one hand I see the Federal Government of my country promoting a important and big project to encourage the use of free software in schools.

2 - On the other hand, a university could receive more assistance for this project, so complex, that is to develop a linux distro.

I see the quality and beautiful work of Mageia Team, in an open process, and thought if in the future, there could be some help between these separate parts, that together, both could be strengthened.

Cheers
Macxi

Note: I added at the beginning of the text of my proposal, that this is not exactly a proposal for the "Mageia 3", but maybe for the "Mageia 4".
Last edited by macxi on Aug 5th, '12, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby marja » Jun 17th, '12, 13:55

macxi wrote:Note: I added at the beginning of the text of my proposal, that this is not exactly a proposal for the "Mageia 3", but maybe for the "Mageia 4".

Thanks. I have the feeling, to be able to collaborate well, it is first needed to get to know each other well, which takes time. Some things, like packaging certain educational software, might be done faster without collaboration.

In my country MS rules the educational world, with maybe an exception for some graphic schools that prefer Mac. Once pupils/students have gotten used to MS, they tend to stick with it later on. So the more schools use Linux, the better.
marja

Postby macxi » Jun 17th, '12, 15:03

marja wrote:
macxi wrote:Note: I added at the beginning of the text of my proposal, that this is not exactly a proposal for the "Mageia 3", but maybe for the "Mageia 4".

Thanks. I have the feeling, to be able to collaborate well, it is first needed to get to know each other well, which takes time. Some things, like packaging certain educational software, might be done faster without collaboration.
In my country MS rules the educational world, with maybe an exception for some graphic schools that prefer Mac. Once pupils/students have gotten used to MS, they tend to stick with it later on. So the more schools use Linux, the better.

Yes, the use of linux gets a lot of criticism because many people do not know, support is not fast, and sometimes the correction of bugs is takes a long time. Making a distro better, more stable, with good documentation and fast support, can help to consolidate the use of free software in schools, with all its benefits. Otherwise, it will be replaced the next government.

The Brazilian Federal Government has given the government incentive to free software since 2003, with the election of the President Lula. The new Federal Government, elected in 2010 (President Dilma Rousseff) continues with the policy of encouraging government to free software. This new government will end in 2014, when there will be new elections. There is also the possbilidade to be reelected for another four years (2014-2018). Therefore, government incentive to free software should continue until 2014. After that, maybe ...

I think the Mageia Team, with their professionalism and organization, can do a good job.

The Federal University of Parana - UFPR (coordinated by the "Center for Scientific Computing and Free Software"-C3SL) does a good job, with respect to the philosophy of free softwre, and provides the source code (see here and here) with all the tools of Educational Linux, exactly to share the contribution made, and to receive suggestions for improvements. Therefore, this work of this university needs to be praised and receive support to continue this excellent work of Linux development and formation of professionals in this area. We can not forget that this university, the UFPR, hosts an excellent mirror of Mageia (mageia.c3sl.ufpr.br - 10GB Bandwidth)

There have been similar educational projects that never became real.

In September 2010, Mandriva has announced that it would to create a specific education activity and distribution (see blog Mandriva):

Education distribution - A specialized version of Mandriva will be available in the coming months. It will allow to setup linux computers in a classroom within minutes with classroom control and class sharing possibilities. The configuration of the class computers will be extremely simplified.
And again, in January 2011, Eugeni Dodonov announced, as CEO of Mandriva at that time, in the MandrivaBrasil Forum (in portuguese), said:

(in free translation) For Mandriva 2011 we have the idea to package all (or at least most) of the free softwares used by the government, municipalities, schools, ... Ie, the software available on www.softwarelivre.org. As the distribution Mandriva is developed here in Brazil, I think more than fair, that it supports the free software made ​​here, and provide them with the distribution.
      This is in progress, and I will not promise miracles overnight, even more because it has many free software in Brazil, but our goal is this.

The continuation of this story everybody knows...

So I made this proposal here, for Mageia, because I believe that the possibilities for implementing this project (now or in future) may be in Mageia,

Last edited by macxi on Aug 5th, '12, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
macxi

Postby andre999 » Jun 17th, '12, 20:36

I have a few reactions to this proposal
1) You should make the proposal for Mageia 3
Not that it necessarily be completed for Mageia 3, but that it be contained in the radar of development for Mageia.
Note that the prototype page used for Mageia 3 proposals is oriented to all proposals for future development of Mageia, and not limited to Mageia 3.

2) I think it would be constructive to have more than one desktop. KDE is the heaviest desktop of Mageia, Gnome somewhat lighter, and LXDE a much lighter desktop available. There are others, but at the moment these are the main 3.
So I think that at least KDE and Gnome should be included, preferably LXDE as well.
It is more than just being compatible with Mageia. Many users, particularly students, will have computers less much less powerful, so lighter desktops will be a definite advantage.
Note that the Drak* tools distinguish Mageia/Mandriva from other distros, and contribute largely to the friendly look and feel of Mageia. So the difference between the desktops will be less important for end-user support.

3) The 5-year support cycle is more than the 3-year cycle already suggested for Mageia. However with the support of the university mentioned, this should be workable.

4) It would be very useful to Mageia to leverage this educational , with additional translations as necessary, to other areas of the world. As already mentioned, introducing young users to Linux will do a lot to promote Linux among adult users.

5) Note that since Mandriva has adopted rpm5 in place of rpm for packaging, as well as dropping Gnome, it would be somewhat easier to support Mageia (compatible with Fedora and OpenSuse) than the new Mandriva.

That is my initial reaction. In sum, I think that it is an excellent idea. The new deadline for Mageia 3 proposals is monday June 18.
I'm tempted to add this myself, if you don't.
Good luck :)
andre999

Postby anaselli » Jun 17th, '12, 21:50

The idea sounds good to me, and the help and support offered by students and University can really help to reach the aim i had in mind when i wrote our wiki page, stopped by lack of spare time.

Some thought though:
1) LTS should be disccussed by and with mageia community, i think we cannot say yes we do without the "go" from other volonteers and developers, moreover that needs to have active repository in which release pacakges to be retrieved. So LTS is not only for an educational fork, we cannot afford a fork :)
2) A project like this cannot think only portuguese and brazilian, and localized packages must have local maintainers. We also need people who design educational layouts ( themes, wallpapers, maybe different icons for tools based on the age target, etc).
3) I think it's not that easy to work with mandriva, or better to get a common distro, we can ofcourse cooperate (as i already do with Alexander from edumandriva for some pacakges) and maybe releasing software for both distro using a common spec file when possible.
4) My original idea was to have a live cd customized for our aim, this project is something more and i think we need more resources.

Is ennael aware of this proposal?

Cheers,
Angelo
anaselli

Postby macxi » Jun 17th, '12, 22:39

andre999 wrote: The new deadline for Mageia 3 proposals is monday June 18.
I'm tempted to add this myself, if you don't.
Good luck :)

Andre999,

I created the page in the wiki, not to stay out the deadline: Educational_Distro_LTS.

This is just a draft. I have many doubts if this is not a very specific proposal for Brazil. I just added it in the wiki as a proposal that may be useful for the development of Mageia. I think it would be nice if other people help me to adjust the proposal, to make it more objective, more realistic, or delete it from the planning, if inadequate

1 - ok - done
2 - ok, more than a graphical environment can be useful, but I think to editing helps standardize documentation for just one graphical environment reduces costs.
3 - I think that increasing the time of support, only with the assistance of other entity or company, such as Mandriva / Conectiva, Upstream, UFPR, etc.
4 - I think initially as a project specific to the project of the Federal Government of Brazil, which may help Mageia to receive more support. If it works, it can strengthen Mageia, and help edit other versions based on this.
5 - At my suggestion, I believe that Mandriva will provide support for the Mageia 3, as is developed by Team Mageia.

Angelo,
1 - I also agree, it would be best to develop one Mageia LTS version.

2 - If Mageia has a LTS version, then it can be used as basis for brazilian Mageia education, like Educational Linux 4.0 which have its own characteristics.

3 - This project is important to strengthen the Mageia. So I imagine that all the base packages and the repository should be Mageia. Mandriva will only give support and help in maintaining, under the coordination of Team Mageia.

Note-1: I think the university and the Brazilian government use Debian and Kubuntu to trust the system repository and its compliance with the philosophy of free software. Mandriva will not be able to change this with its business proposal and its problems of instability.
    The path of Mageia is very good, with community and very professional. This proposal can be good for Mageia, but without changing its direction.

I think the best would be that the Mageia team continued to coordinate the whole process.I have agreed all of the positions of Mageia Team with Mandriva. There is nothing to change in this relationship, just invite them to cooperate with the Mageia. This seems to be the best option for Mandriva now: collaborate with Mageia.

I think the University will not change the work they are already doing with Kubuntu, if not offered a better proposal, more structured, that they have not to make many changes in the help documentation already produced (see here and here).

Note-2: I think there are two essential information to evaluate this proposal more adequately:

a) a realistic evaluation of the Brazilian Educational Linux Project. Know the opinion of the developers of the university. Knowing the opinion of the technicians from the Federal Government. Know the assessment comunidadde users. This information may help to know if there is any advantage to them to replace the Kubuntu. I recognize that this information is essential. But I still do not have this evaluation. (The university is doing research to know what is opinion of the user).

b) The opinion of Mageia community, if has an interest in this proposal. And if so, what are the most important aspects of this issuen.

Cheers

Othes links:
- C3SL-UFPR which develops brasilian Educational Linux, since 2010
- features of version 4.0 of brasilian Educational Linux
Last edited by macxi on Aug 5th, '12, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby macxi » Jun 20th, '12, 19:59

Hi,

I have searched news about the "Educational Linux 5.0" in the internet, but there is no much information. I'm trying to answer the following questions:

1 - Is there any timeline for release of "Educational Linux 5.0"?

2 - The development of "Educational Linux 5.0" by UFPR/C3SL depends on the resources of the Brazilian Government to be implemented? If so, these features are already right?

3 - The changes at the beginning of the year 2012, between Ubuntu and Kubuntu (see here and here), or changes in techniques of Kubuntu 12:04 can interfere in the adoption of Kubuntu as the basis of "LE 5.0"?

4 - Are guaranteed the use of kubuntu as the basis of "LE 5.0"? (known as the greatest Linux deployment project in the world)
I have not found answers to these questions, and I will look for answers in the coming weeks, and I appreciate if anyone has any suggestions or criticisms.

Note-1:
    Note-2:
      I just remember, I am discussing the possible use of "Mageia 3" as the basis of LE 5.0, because, as I had commented last year (in MandrivaBrasil Forum), I consider that public authorities in Brazil (universities, municipalities, federal government and state governments etc.) have chosen to use "Debian" or deb derivatives, because it a "community project" and and because it is stable for many years. The Serpro (processing service data from the federal government), used was using fedora until recently (and not used RedHat, which is commercial). Now Serpro uses Ubuntu, Debian derived.

Note-3:
      Mandriva 2011 has innovated and has qualities, and Mandriva 2012 may be great distro in future, but the business profile and the instability hinders its adoption by projects like this, long-term. Mandriva is trying to create a nonprofit entity to develop the Mandriva distro, but is still in the beginning, with many aspects that have not yet been defined, everything will depend on the continuity of the project on time, ie, it takes time to build confidence in new model. Moreover, the Mandriva has announced that Mageia will be used in your products. Therefore, I considered possible a partnership between Conectiva and UFPR-C3SL to use Mageia, because Conectiva knows about Mageia, which is a version almost identical to Mandriva 2010.1, with updates, and Conectiva is in Curitiba, the same city of UFPR.

Note-4:
      The Kubuntu is also evaluating the creation of a nonprofit entity (see news of maio/2012 here in the 10th paragraph), following the option that Debian has already taken several years ago, the same model that Mageia already adopted in 2010, and the model that Mandriva is trying to adopt this year.
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 5th, '12, 17:53

Hi,

I think the package "userful-multiplier" is necessary for the Brazilian Educational Linux.
Wikipedia: Userful_Multiplier
Wikipedia: Multiseat configuration

I checked the website Linux Free Software and Packages Catalog Search ( http://pkgs.org/search/ ) and it seems that only the "Ubuntu 10.04 LTS" has this
package: Ubuntu Multiverse: userful-multiplier_341-20090901000926-0ubuntu1_i386.deb - Userful's Virtualized X-Server (Trial Version)

Edited:
        On the official website of "userful-multiplier", there are package RPM for "Mandriva 2008" and "Fedora 11" and "openSuse 11".

Unfortunately it seems it is a proprietary solution, is not free software, but it seems that does not have a free option for Multiseat, as the software used by brasilian Educational Linux of MEC/UFPR/C3SL.

There is the possibility of using Xephyr package (see Multiterminais/Multiterminal com Xephyr), that is in the repository Mageia (sse here), but this option is not used Linux in Brazilian Education.

My initial proposal was intended to suit Mageia to be the Brazilian Educational Linux.

But I observed that it is necessary first to contribute to edition of a Mageia Education International, and later get it to fit the Brazilian education.

So, I'll change my goal of a proposal (Feature: Educational_Distro_LTS) to first build Magea Education (which may be the basis for other distros later), and contribute to the excellent work that Marja is already doing in Mageia Edu SiG.

Cheers :)
Macxi
Last edited by macxi on Aug 6th, '12, 05:38, edited 6 times in total.
macxi

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 5th, '12, 19:06

Please also do a package request for it: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_repor ... ge_request
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby macxi » Aug 5th, '12, 19:46

doktor5000 wrote:Please also do a package request for it: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_repor ... ge_request

Ok Doktor5000,

Done: Bug 6960

Tks :)
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 10th, '12, 00:28

Hi,

The Feature:Educational Distro LTSl about "Brazilian Education Linux" was excluded from my proposal because, Initially is necessary to create a Mageia Education for all languages. Only after this Mageia General Education will be suitable for Brazil, in the future.

The proposal to create a Mageia LTS (long term support) require much more structure, I do not know how make possible, so this aspect of my proposal is being excluded.

The proposal to create a "Mageia Education", will be limited to adding educational software packages to the repository's official Mageia, and add package "userful-multiplier" (see Bug 6960), in the official repository Mageia, because it is a useful package, to be a low cost solution for educational projects.

Macxi
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 15th, '12, 01:03

Hi,

I made adjustments in the proposal of Mageia Education, with following proposal:

The development of Mageia Educational (Mageia 3 Remastered Education DVD or Livecd), configured and with educational programs pre-installed, suitable for schools in general.

This proposed already existed: the "Mageia educational project", edited in wiki since November 9, 2011, with the contribution of Marja, Andre999, Matteo, Obgr, Anaselli, Dieter, Malo.

According to page Edu_Sig, the "Mageia educational project" aims to:

This a proposal to improve educational programs in Mageia.
    The purpose of this page is to present a list of educational packages that can be imported in Mageia, or that are already in.
    The project could grow as follows:
      add missing educational programs
      group educational programs in specialized meta-packages (such as math, chemical, primary school, etc)
      build one (or more) live cd -or improve draklive specs to make it buildable- to give to schools.

Cheers :)
Macxi
macxi

Postby marja » Aug 15th, '12, 08:21

macxi wrote:I made adjustments in the proposal of Mageia Education,

Thank a lot for figuring out which packages are still missing compared to the current Brazilian Educational Linux. :-D

I think, when it is sure we don't have a good replacement, it would be good to have package requests in our Bugzilla for the missing ones and to put them in a tracker.

For who doesn't know: a tracker is a bug report that is only made to keep track of other bug reports, so it gives a good overview of what needs to be done. It is set to depend on each of the reports it tracks. That means that the reporter and everyone in the cc of the tracker are automatically notified when the status of one of the other bug reports changes. The tracker isn't solved before all the bugs it depends on are solved.

Cheers,
marja
marja

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 15th, '12, 20:50

FWIW, we have a post/thread in the german forum, where somebody wanted to have the packages which are available under Seminarix http://www.seminarix.org/cms/ :
https://forums.mageia.org/de/viewtopic.php?p=4951#p4951
Maybe somebody wants to check those against the EDU-SIG list? I'd loved to do that, but i just lack the time ... :/
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby macxi » Aug 17th, '12, 23:50

doktor5000 wrote:FWIW, we have a post/thread in the german forum, where somebody wanted to have the packages which are available under Seminarix http://www.seminarix.org/cms/ :
https://forums.mageia.org/de/viewtopic.php?p=4951#p4951
Maybe somebody wants to check those against the EDU-SIG list? I'd loved to do that, but i just lack the time ... :/

Doktor5000,

I made the comparison as his suggestion, between Seminarix with software Mageia (see wiki: Comparison between "Seminarix" and "Mageia 2").

But I don't know what is most current list, the first table which has OpenOfice or the second one, with Libreoffice.

Link to the table: Re: Mageia für Teenager - Beitragvon Phoenix » Jan 8th, '12

Code: Select all
Educacional software - Mageia Repository?

1. Seminarix   
 2.1.1. Iceweasel   -   Don't have
 2.1.2. iTALC       -     ok
 2.1.3. KDissert    -    Don't have
 2.1.4. Kile        -       ok
 2.1.5. KImageMapEditor   - ok
 2.1.6. Krusader    -    ok
 2.1.7. KSociograma - Don't have
 2.1.8. LaTeX       -      ok
 2.1.9. Midnight Commander      - Don't have
 2.1.10. Okular     -     ok
 2.1.11. OpenOffice.org Base     - Don't have
 2.1.12. OpenOffice.org Impress  - Don't have
 2.1.13. OpenOffice.org Writer   -  Don't have
 2.1.14. Scribus    -     ok
 2.1.15. vym        -      ok
 2.1.16. XSane      -     ok
 2.1.17. Zim        -       ok
3.  Section Chemistry  <--------------------------------------------
 3.0.3. Chemtool    -    ok   (Cauldron - Mageia 3)
 3.0.4. GPeriodic   -     Don't have
 3.0.5. Kalzium     -     ok    (periodic system of the elements)
 3.0.6. KAtomic     -    ok
4. Abteilung Erdkunde   Departamento de Geografia
 4.0.3. Marble      -      ok
 4.0.4. SunClock    -     Don't have
5.Section E-Learning     <--------------------------------------------
6.Section Informatik   <--------------------------------------------
 6.1.1. Dia         -        ok
 6.1.2. Eclipse     -       ok   
 6.1.3. Gambas      -    ok
 6.1.4. KompoZer    -   ok
 6.1.5. KTurtle     -      ok
 6.1.6. Lazarus     -     ok
 6.1.7. Monkey Studio  ok   (Cauldron - Mageia 3)
7.   Section Art        <--------------------------------------------
 7.1.1. Blender     -     ok
 7.1.2. Digikam     -    ok
 7.1.3. Gimp        -     ok
 7.1.4. Gwenview    -  ok   
 7.1.5. ImageMagick - ok
 7.1.6. Inkscape    -    ok
 7.1.7. Kdenlive    -    ok
 7.1.8. Kino        -      ok
 7.1.9. KSnapshot   -  ok   
 7.1.10. LiVES      -    ok
 7.1.11. OpenOffice.org Draw - Don't have
 7.1.12. recordMyDesktop  -  ok
 7.1.13. Stopmotion -   ok
 7.1.14. TuxPaint   -     ok
8. Section   Educational Games       <--------------------------------------------
 8.0.3. BlinKen     -      ok
 8.0.4. Childsplay  -     ok
 8.0.5. Einstein    -      Don't have
 8.0.6. Gcompris    -    ok
 8.0.7. gTans       -     Don't have  (Tangram (puzzle) game )
 8.0.8. KAnagram    - (Word learning) ok
 8.0.9. Kartoffelknülch -  Don't have
 8.0.10. KHangMan   - (Classical hangman game) ok
 8.0.11. Knights    -     (chess board) ok
 8.0.12. KTouch     -     ok
 8.0.13. lletters   -      Don't have
 8.0.14. LMemory    -  Don't have
 8.0.15. Palapeli   -    (Jigsaw puzzle game)  ok
 8.0.16. Pingus     -    (a free Lemmings clone) ok
 8.0.17. qgo(SGF editor) -  Don't have
 8.0.18. Tipptrainer -   Don't have 
 8.0.19. Tuxmath    -    ok
 8.0.20. TuxType    -     (typing tutor game) ok
9.   Section Mathematic         <--------------------------------------------
 9.0.3. Dia                   Ok
 9.0.4. Gnuplot     -      (plotting mathematical expressions and data) ok
 9.0.5. KBruch      -      (Practice calculating with fractions) ok
 9.0.6. KCalc       -       (KDE Calculator)  ok
 9.0.7. KIG         -        (KDE Interactive Geometry)  ok
 9.0.8. KmPlot      -       (A mathematical function plotter) ok
 9.0.9. Octave      -       (High-level language for numerical computations)  ok
 9.0.10. OpenOffice.org Calc        Don't have 
 9.0.11. Qalculate  -     (desktop calculator)  ok
 9.0.12. RKWard     -    (IDE/GUI for R-language)
 9.0.13. TuxMath    -    (Math game for kids with Tux) ok
 9.0.14. wxMaxima   -  (algebra system Maxima)ok
10. Section Music        <--------------------------------------------
 10.0.3. Amarok     -      ok
 10.0.4. Audacity   -       ok
 10.0.5. Glame      -       don't have
 10.0.6. Hydrogen   -     ok
 10.0.7. Juk        -         ok
 10.0.8. Kaffeine   -      ok
 10.0.9. NoteEdit   -     don't have
 10.0.10. solfege   -     (An ear-training program)  ok
11. Section Physic         <--------------------------------------------
 11.1.1. Celestia   -     ok
 11.1.2. KStars     -     ok
 11.1.3. Planets    -    don't have
 11.1.4. Stellarium -   ok
 11.1.5. Step       -     (Interactive physical simulator) ok
12. Section Religion       <--------------------------------------------
 12.0.3. BibleTime  -    (Bible study tool)  ok
 12.0.4. itools     -     ??
 12.0.5. hebcal     -    don't have
 13. Section Languages      <--------------------------------------------
 13.0.3. Ding       -     (Kding - ok)
 13.0.4. Hanzim     -   don't have
 13.0.5. Kiten      -     (A Japanese reference/learning tool)  ok
 13.0.6. KLettres   -    (Language learning program) ok
 13.0.7. KWordQuiz  - (flash card program)  ok
 13.0.8. lletters   -      don't have
 13.0.9. Parley     -     (KDE Vocabulary training application) ok
14. Section Technology      <--------------------------------------------
 14.0.3. KLogic     -      don't have
 14.0.4. KSimus     -     don't have
 14.0.5. KTechlab   -    don't have
 14.0.6. LabPlot    -     don't have
 14.0.7. PCB        -      (An interactive printed circuit board editor) ok
 14.0.8. Qcad       -     don't have
 14.0.9. Xoscope    -    don't have

Or the table which has LibreOfice?

Link for this list of Seminarix Sitemap

Code: Select all
Educacional software - Mageia Repository?

Sitemap
General        <---------------------
LibreOffice    ok
Miro              ok
Scribus          ok
BlueGriffon    Don't have
Gimp            ok
Inkscape       ok
KImageMapEditor       ok
vym               ok
VLC - Media Player    ok
Audacity        ok
Avidemux      ok
Kdenlive        ok
BigBlueButton  Don't have
Gobby            ok
Krusader / Dolphin    ok
Ksociograma  ok
XSane            ok
Chemistry      <---------------------
Avogadro       ok
Chemtool       ok (Cauldron - Mageia 3)
Gperiodic      Don't have
KAtomic         ok
Kalzium          ok
Rasmol           ok
Geography      <---------------------
Lincity           ok
Qgis              ok
Sunclock        Don't have
E-learning     <---------------------
Computer science    <---------------------
Eclipse          ok
Monkey Studio ok (Cauldron - Mageia 3)
KTurtle         ok
Quanta        Don't have
Prologue      Don't have
Squeak  (just "Squeak VM)  ok
Art           <---------------------
Digikam       ok
Gimp           ok
Gwenview    ok
Inkscape      ok
Kono             ok
KSnapshot      ok
Stop Motion    ok
TuxPaint         ok
Learning Games       <---------------------
Squeak  (just "Squeak VM)  ok
Childsplay      ok
GCompris      ok
Tuberling       ok  (Ktuberling)
KHangman     ok
KTouch          ok
Mnemosyne   Don't have
Pingus          ok
Squeak         ok   (just "Squeak VM)
Tuxmath       ok
Mathematics   <---------------------
CARmetal      ok
DrGeo           Don't have
Music         <---------------------
Amarok         ok
Audacity        ok
Hydrogen       ok
Juk                ok
Physics       <---------------------
Celestia         ok
KStars            ok
Stellarium      ok
Religion       <---------------------
BibleTime      ok
hebcal           Don't have
itools            Don't have
Languages     <---------------------
Anki             ok
KWordQuiz    ok
Lincity          ok
Miro             ok 
Technology      <---------------------
KLogic          Don't have
KSimus         Don't have
PCBs            ok
Last edited by macxi on Aug 18th, '12, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.
macxi

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 18th, '12, 11:03

Probably the latter, but anyways, that wiki comparison page is pretty cool. Awesome, thanks :)
----
doktor5000

Postby macxi » Aug 19th, '12, 02:51

Hi,

Is important to the Brazilian Educational Linux project, to find a distro that has a multiterminal/multiseat solution, which preferably is free software.

Did the Mageia developers and packagersbe able to do this magic?

According to the comment in the Br-Linux site, of Laercio (on august.16, 2012), the updating of the Educational Linux 5.0, (Brazilian) may have been delayed because of the current incompatibility of Multiterminal software (software Userful's owner), with Ubuntu/Kubuntu '12 .04 '.

It seems that the latest updates from X.Org, created incompatibility with the Multerminal software, making it incompatible with the current Ubuntu 12.04.

While this doesn't is resolved, developers of Research Center C3SL, of Federal University of Paraná-UFPR, will have to continue with the Educational Linux 4.0 (based on Kubuntu 10.04).

Because of this incompatibility, the State Government of Paraná are using a distro called "Paraná Digital", which adopted a multiterminal free solution based on Debian 5.0 Lenny (2009-fev/2012), which is obsolete, is not supported since February this year .

Therefore, the brazilian developers of the C3SL/UFPR postpone the launch of Educational Linux 5.0, which would be based on Kubuntu 12.04, to continue with the Educational Linux 4.0, which is based on Kubuntu 10.04

According Laercio, Fedora already has a free solution for use as multiterminal (Plugable - see here, here and here), but is not the same solution adopted by the Brazilian Educational Linux.

In Plugabe site, there is a comment about the use of this product in linux:

New Distros and Linux Automatic USB Multiseat Support (Posted on 15. Aug, 2012 by Bernie Thompson in UD-160-M)

OpenSUSE and ArchLinux appear to be making good progress on integrating the latest version of systemd, which is a central element of Linux’s new Automatic USB multiseat support — letting you turn one machine into many with plug and play USB terminals.

Since this is all open source, we expect the porting process will happen in time.

For now, the best bet is the distro under which support was first developed — Fedora 17 and later. On Fedora, any supported USB terminal (like those on the right), will automatically pop up a fresh login when plugged in, no software install or licenses needed.
macxi

Postby macxi » Sep 14th, '13, 15:20

HI,

The federal government of Brazil launched in April 10, 2013, the Educational Linux 5.0 (see automatic translation), developed based on Ubuntu 12.10, with Gnome 3 desktop environment. The Educational Linux 5.0 is being developed by the Centre for Scientific Computing and Free Software (C3SL), of Federal University of Paraná (UFPR), by request of the Ministry of Education and Culture-MEC, of Brazil.

It would be great if Mageia can be in the future, the basis for the Brazilian Educational Linux.

See comments about this topic in the Forum Mageia do Brazil (see automatic translation).
macxi

Return to Ideas and suggestions