Integration of a copy tool as default in KDE

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Integration of a copy tool as default in KDE

Postby pmithrandir » Feb 10th, '12, 11:58

Hello.

I don't like KDE copy system.

Not because the datas are not copied, but because there is almost no option for the copy.

Here are the options I like to have :
- pause / restart a copy : DONE on KDE
- limit the speed of a transfert
- allow me to put the copy in queue of an existing one.
- Allow me to remove a file from a copy list, or to order it in a different way.

That options are available on some software. People knows ultracopier, or supercopier on windows.

ultracopier works on linux, but it's not fully integrated to replace the default KDE(or others) copy system.
Do you think Mageia could help the guys from ultracopier to integrate the software to KDE ? (CTRL C / X / V events)

Do you think it could be the new default systems to copy files on Mageia ?

Nobody think copy process can be different, but when you know and use such software, it's really a regression to come back on linux. It's a strange feelings because usually linux provide more user experience, but not in this field.

What do you think about it ?
Pierre
Creator of : http://www.jaiuneidee.net a "direct democracy" website for France.
pmithrandir

Re: Integration of a copy tool as default in KDE

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 10th, '12, 17:50

pmithrandir wrote:Here are the options I like to have :

- allow me to put the copy in queue of an existing one.
- Allow me to remove a file from a copy list, or to order it in a different way.

Because almost no user needs this kind of thing? Why do you want to limit the transfer speed?
Normally i'd like my copy operations to finish as fast as possible?
For both of the other wishes, f.ex. i do a lot of copy operations, but i never needed something like that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Feb 10th, '12, 18:01

Hmm, I had to read the initial post at least 3 times until I understood what it is about. Copy (cp) is a basic command, it even was 25 years ago, even before there was Linux.
Then reading what you actually want I started to understand, although I can't find any reason for any of the wishes you listed.

Thx for enlightening me that there is a special "KDE copy system", I always thought it would just display a GUI for the real tool :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby pmithrandir » Feb 10th, '12, 20:19

pmithrandir wrote:Here are the options I like to have :

For example, if you have a transfer of 200 GB to do on a network. You could be happy to limit the speed to 50MB to allow a little place for your lan game.

pmithrandir wrote: - allow me to put the copy in queue of an existing one.

It's faster to copy a file after another one, tahn to copy both at the same time. You can try, the difference is huge. (could take 4 time more)

pmithrandir wrote: - Allow me to remove a file from a copy list, or to order it in a different way.

On a list with 200 files, it's sometime pratical to get one before(for example the video you want to play during the copy), or to cancel the transfert of a single file without canceling all the transfer.

All people I know who tried supercopier on windows where more than happy to discover it(even non geek people). It's basically a tool you can't see the advantage until you worked with it. After that, you can't imagine working without.

I think super copier and ultracopier got 2 functions in addition to the simple move / copy :
- Check of the file integrity(maybe not so important on linux)
- The provide a nice GUI to very simple function.

You should try them. ultracopier is already in mageia, but you have to start the copy process manually.
Otherwise, I would advise you to try supercopier on windows.
pmithrandir

Postby jaywalker » Feb 12th, '12, 19:44

pmithrandir wrote:
pmithrandir wrote: - allow me to put the copy in queue of an existing one.
It's faster to copy a file after another one, tahn to copy both at the same time. You can try, the difference is huge. (could take 4 time more)
pmithrandir wrote: - Allow me to remove a file from a copy list, or to order it in a different way.
On a list with 200 files, it's sometime pratical to get one before(for example the video you want to play during the copy), or to cancel the transfert of a single file without canceling all the transfer.

I can see what you mean. I have been troubled by the spartan nature of file-copying using pcmanfm in LXDE. It caught me out badly recently when I was transferring 17 mp3 files to my player. I was expecting both that they would be copied in the order in which they were displayed (alphabetical) and that the player would play them in alphabetical order. I was wrong on both counts. It would be sufficient for me if I could determine the order of copying the files by conforming to the current file manager view, or by the order in which the files were selected. That would create the possibility of having almost complete control over the process without changing the gui or adding a new one.

In the end I think I got the ordering I needed by using mc to copy the files, but I might be mis-remembering.

On serial copying, I get the impression you are right about that. Transferring monster directories of PVR video files always seems to go faster using mc rather than pcmanfm, but again, I haven't measured it. If serial is faster in some circumstances then I would certainly like to have the option, but not just in KDE please. Other desktops may share the problem.

On the second point, when I need one file first I just copy it first and then block select the rest.

Richard
jaywalker

Postby pmithrandir » Feb 12th, '13, 20:56

Hello,

I want to know what could be the update on this topic.
I saw that this issue is open here : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161017

I was asking the question of the integration of ultracopier in KDE, on this topic (sorry in French) and the creator said that he was interested, but that he lacked of knowledge regarding Dolphin and KDE programation.

Do you know who could help him to go on the right way, or if there would be some way to find the right person in KDE / Dolphin team to give advice ?

Thanks,
Pierre
http://forum-ultracopier.first-world.in ... html#p1197
pmithrandir

Postby alf » Feb 12th, '13, 21:15

Did you ever had a look into krusader? It's fully integrated in KDE and has a queue-mangemant, but i don't know if transfer speed can be limited.
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby pmithrandir » Feb 12th, '13, 21:50

I just looked into it, but it doen't eem to support copy queue system.

Do you think it's something that is present inside this tool ?

Thanks,
Pierre
pmithrandir

Postby alf » Feb 12th, '13, 21:55

from krusaders manual:
Code: Select all
Queue manager
 The copy, move, pack and unpack operations can be queued. After selecting copy or move, hit F2 to use it. After selecting pack or unpack, hit F2 to use it. Or the direct shortcuts: copy by queue Shift+F5 , move by queue Shift+F6 . Queue manager performs actions one-by-one. For example, if you have a pen drive (which is slow), and you want to copy 40 files onto it, it is much better copying them one-by-one instead of starting to copy 40 files in parallel. That is why enqueuing is important. If you pack/unpack 40 files in parallel, you overload your computer, but adding them to a queue, is much more useful.
for windows problems reboot; for linux problems be root
alf

Postby pmithrandir » Feb 12th, '13, 22:16

Thank you for the tip.
I will try it eventually.

Does anyone knows about another product that would be integrated to dolphin directly ? I like the defaut explorer, so I'm not willing to change so much everything.

Pierre
pmithrandir

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 12th, '13, 22:46

From a short look no, as that would need quite a lot of integration into some of the kio slaves ...
Has also been discussed already with upstream: http://kde.6490.n7.nabble.com/Ultracopi ... 68033.html
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions