[solved] gscan2pdf

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

[solved] gscan2pdf

Postby DShelbyD » May 3rd, '11, 03:36

I've just submitted a package request through Mageia Bugs for gscan2pdf. Please go to bugs.mageia.org and add your vote to #1111.

I needed to use this software today for a meeting this afternoon. Had to go to Plan B: my Mac, though I could have used Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, Kubuntu, or Pardus.

Thanks,
David
David
DShelbyD

Re: gscan2pdf

Postby isadora » May 3rd, '11, 08:53

Looked around and could not find any real alternative DShelbyD.
That is, there was a topic in linux-club.de covering xsane.

Maybe worth reading:
http://www.linux-club.de/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=110614
and
http://www.linux-club.de/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=108536

Edit: another solution could maybe be downloading gscan2pdf from MIB.

I know it's all for the time being, until Mageia has it in it's repositories.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby DShelbyD » May 3rd, '11, 14:41

Thanks for looking around, isadora. Xsane will save a scan to PDF, but only one page at a time. From there one can use pdftk, a command line "pdf tool kit" to compile pages into one document. It's a cumbersome, time-consuming process. Gscan2pdf streamlines this entire process and is invaluable as an "office" application where productivity is valued as much as "cool."
David
DShelbyD

Postby jkerr82508 » May 3rd, '11, 18:02

Xsane can create a multi-page pdf. Select "multipage" from the drop down at the top of the main window. A multi-page dialogue will open. You can edit, delete or rearrange pages in the multipage file.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby wobo » May 3rd, '11, 18:50

Having gone through this lately I experienced that xsane's multipage function is only usable for scanners with multipage hardware (feeding page after page automatically). If you activate multipage in xsane the software scans page after page without any break to manually exchange pages in the scanner.

What gscan2pdf does: it can compile an output of several scanned pages (of the current or a previous scanning session) into one output file. We discussed this in February in the German Mandriva forum and came to gscan2pdf as best solution.
Link to the thread (in German): http://www.mandrivauser.de/forum/viewto ... 57&t=30348
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby jkerr82508 » May 3rd, '11, 20:57

wobo wrote:Having gone through this lately I experienced that xsane's multipage function is only usable for scanners with multipage hardware (feeding page after page automatically). If you activate multipage in xsane the software scans page after page without any break to manually exchange pages in the scanner.

That is not my experience. My scanner does not have any kind of automatic feed. I scan pages one at a time. Xsane pauses after each scan, adds the page to the multipage project and waits until I select another action to be performed (such as to preview or scan another page). I can close xsane and on re-opening can continue adding to the same multipage project as previously. I did use gscan2pdf at one time and I found little to choose between them for ease of use or functionality in producing multi-page pdf files.

(The behaviour of xsane may depend on the hardware being used. I've only ever used two different models of scanner with xsane and the behaviour has been the same for both.)

My comments should not be taken as opposing adding gscan2pdf to Mageia's repo. Having a choice of software is always a good thing. :)

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby DShelbyD » May 3rd, '11, 22:48

Jim, you're right. I've never noticed the multi-page option, and I'm not getting anywhere near satisfactory results with the images exported as PDF, but I do see that Xsane is capable of producing multiple pages in a single document. I've not been able to figure out why the scanned images are very pixelated, overlapping, and unreadable as PDFs, but I've now learned something I didn't know about Xsane.

Still, however, I'd prefer gscan2pdf.
David
DShelbyD

Postby isadora » May 4th, '11, 11:51

DShelbyD wrote:
Still, however, I'd prefer gscan2pdf.

gscan2pdf-0.9.32-4.mga1 will be available soon.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
isadora

Postby wobo » May 4th, '11, 12:34

isadora wrote:gscan2pdf-0.9.32-4.mga1 will be available soon.

Great news!

@Jim:
I wonder why our experiences differ. I'm using one of the best supported devices in Linux: a HP PCS (a printer/scanner device) and never succeeded to have xsane stop between 2 sheets when I setup multipage (I just tested it again after your report), tested with Mandriva 2010.2 and Mageia Beta2.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby jkerr82508 » May 4th, '11, 13:29

wobo wrote:@Jim:
I wonder why our experiences differ. I'm using one of the best supported devices in Linux: a HP PCS (a printer/scanner device) and never succeeded to have xsane stop between 2 sheets when I setup multipage (I just tested it again after your report), tested with Mandriva 2010.2 and Mageia Beta2.

The only explanation that I can think of is that for some reason the driver that you are using is leading xsane to believe that you are using an automatic feeder. I've never used an HP scanner with linux. (Both of my scanners have been Epson models for which I use the proprietary drivers from Avasys.) Does HP's Device Manager handle the scanning function as well as the printing function? Perhaps there's an option that can be tweaked.

Xsane is supposed to offer a "document feeder" option as a source when it thinks that one is attached. In theory, selecting "flatbed" or "manual feed" (I don't know what it is called on a multi-function device) instead should prevent it from trying to use the (non existent) feeder. If it is ignoring that selection, then I think that would be a bug.

Jim
Last edited by jkerr82508 on May 4th, '11, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
jkerr82508

Postby wobo » May 4th, '11, 13:37

Thx for the hints, will check this later.
wobo
---
wobo

Postby isadora » May 4th, '11, 20:25

isadora wrote:
gscan2pdf-0.9.32-4.mga1 will be available soon.

And...............available now through MCC, good luck!!!

isadora

Re: gscan2pdf [Solved]

Postby DShelbyD » May 6th, '11, 03:13

Got it. I'm very appreciative of the quickness with which gscan2pdf was made available after I requested it. Ahmad has heard from me via the bug report.
David
DShelbyD

Re: [solved] gscan2pdf

Postby dglent » Jun 4th, '11, 12:57

Also simple-scan scans multiple pages to pdf and exists in mageia repos
dglent

Return to Ideas and suggestions