At what point is Mageia no longer Mandriva based?

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

At what point is Mageia no longer Mandriva based?

Postby Fitz » Aug 11th, '21, 01:59

Hi everyone!

So far I love Mageia and I want to help contribute. I've noticed that some tooling (like DrakX and urpm) are a bit dated. But that raises a question, what is more important to Mageia as a whole:

1. keeping the distro Mandriva based even if it sacrifices advanced functionality (newer tech)

2. Keeping the distro going and if we can keep the old tools great, if not get something similar?
Fitz

Re: At what point is Mageia no longer Mandriva based?

Postby morgano » Aug 11th, '21, 13:11

Welcome, Fitz :)

As I see it Mageia is the continuation of Mandriva.

urpmi "dated"? I drink water as my ancestors did millions years ago, and at work i let current flow thrpugh copper conductors like have been used hundreds of years... For me all that just works.

You can also use dnf.

And there are many other ways to install programs in Mageia.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby Fitz » Aug 11th, '21, 17:22

Thanks!

I want to say, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm here because I like Mageia. I'm just having a discussion.

Yes urpm(i) works, but is it still as efficient and well maintained as other package managers? If so, why include DNF if urpm is sufficient? If not, why hold onto it?
Fitz

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '21, 17:44

Fitz wrote:but is it still as efficient and well maintained as other package managers? If so, why include DNF if urpm is sufficient? If not, why hold onto it?

It's efficient and it works. It's not like other package managers are better in everything and don't have their own drawbacks - so why change it?

dnf was included because the maintainer was interested and invested a lot of work in that area.
One of the advantages is it allows for e.g. copr integration, so packages for Mageia can be built from copr repositories. Have a look at https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Fedora_COPR
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Fitz » Aug 11th, '21, 17:56

Awesome. I was hoping that copr was being used! Are they able to be used interchangeably? Or do I need to pick urpm* or dnf and stick to it to avoid issues?
Fitz

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '21, 22:00

Yes, you can use them interchangeably.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Fitz » Aug 12th, '21, 02:36

So with them being interchangeable, can I enable Copr with dnf and then install from that repo with urpm*?
Fitz

Postby Bequimao » Aug 12th, '21, 15:11

No, you'll have to use dnf then. There are no urpmi metadata.
You are not shure, if the packager provides the correct Mageia version. There is also no testing. Any problem you'll have to contact the developer yourself.
Bequimao

Return to Ideas and suggestions