Just a suggestion for better info

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Just a suggestion for better info

Postby Zeeman » Jun 1st, '20, 05:20

I have worked with Mageia cinnamon, LXQT and LXDE for a while. Mageia runs smoothly but unfortunately there is no information available for both Cinnaman and LXQT. I personally find the LXQT working environment much better than Xfce.
I find the available info insufficient for novice Linux users, especially if you don't know anything about computers. Daarom zou het handig zijn om voor alle omgevingen een lijst te maken zoals in volgende link: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
I know that you want to know what you can always do in the forum and that you will be helped quickly and well.
The big problem for computer dummies like me is that you don't know what to ask because you don't know anything about it, and before you know it you are working with a malfunctioning and / or unsafe system.
a while ago I once asked how you could decrease the swappiness from 60 to 10 which is much better if you only have 4GB RAM. for ssd it is even better to set the swappiness to 5. Unfortunately, the answer did not make me much wiser, I thought it was too incomplete for someone without computer knowledge.
Mageia herself claims that this Linux distro is suitable for people with low to medium computer skills. Personally I think that it requires medium to high computer knowledge because of the minimal information.

I have been using Linux mint for seven years but have been less satisfied with it lately.
Zeeman

Re: Just a suggestion for better info

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 1st, '20, 14:52

Zeeman wrote:Mageia herself claims that this Linux distro is suitable for people with low to medium computer skills.

Where does Mageia claim that ? I think that's merely an interpretation.

Zeeman wrote:Personally I think that it requires medium to high computer knowledge because of the minimal information.

Minimal information - about what in particular? If you think something is missing, then feel free to join the documentation team: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Doc_Team_Portal
Also our wiki already contains a wealth of information. And if you feel like something is missing, then feel free to add that information.

On a related note, as your main point seems to be computer novices/dummies that don't know anything about computers and especially about linux.
And your point is some random blog, that provides a lot of hints, but does not explain the most basic stuff.

I don't think that it's a good idea to duplicate basic knowledge about common linux stuff again and again, specific for every distro out there, that just leads to a lot of duplication.
And there are already a lot of really good and maintained documentation sources out there, which are mostly distro-agnostic. If you really feel like to add another, then please - go ahead.
Apart from that, in my humble opinion - majority of the "casual" userbase is not interested in learning anything, so that information is mostly wasted.

But what do I know? There are people in the forums, that are using Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake sometimes since sometimes over a decade.
And often they still ask questions regularly about basic stuff, like why do downloads from repositories fail, or what repositories are needed, and how to set them up.
Or how to provide sufficient information apart from "program abc doesn't work" when posting in the forums or in a bugreport.
I don't think adding "information" on anything will help with that, because those people don't want to learn and even ignore pointers to documentation.
They just want an easy solution, and the next time they have that same problem, they will post that exact same issue again.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions