Better installer?

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Better installer?

Postby schnappi » Apr 15th, '20, 21:55

Hello

Installer is quite old dated and also many non functional issues in it.
Any plans to update it to make it beautiful and more functional?
Example: try to install with uk english gui + germany keyboard. Its 2020 and such a simple combination is a big logical headache to install.

Rgds,
+A
schnappi

Re: Better installer?

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 16th, '20, 01:10

Do you have some more examples for non functional issues ?

I also don't get your issue about english system and german keyboard layout, how is that a big headache ? Select german keyboard, then later on select UK as country. I don't remember issues when e.g. installing VMs that way.

For your question, I don't see a proposed feature for that - check https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Category:Pro ... ureMageia8
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby schnappi » Apr 16th, '20, 22:43

1) When installation starts, I select UK English
But I have a German kybd laptop. So the default is not useful.
After clicking More, selecting German layout, I am still shown selection as UK.
Lots of time is spend just to understand that once German is selected, ignore the UK selection and continue further.

2) Also, further during the installation, the time to complete installation is approx 1hour 30 mins for LXDE workstation. I find this to be bit time comsuming for a simple lxde workstation.
schnappi

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 16th, '20, 23:54

schnappi wrote:After clicking More, selecting German layout, I am still shown selection as UK.
Lots of time is spend just to understand that once German is selected, ignore the UK selection and continue further.

Why do you spend lots of time, if you simply select what you need, and then continue on with the installation ?
Also, you may want to read the installer documentation, where exactly this is mentioned:

http://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/content/selectKeyboard.html wrote:Note
After choosing a keyboard from the More dialogue, you'll return to the first keyboard choice dialogue and it will seem as though a keyboard from that screen was chosen. You can safely ignore this and continue the installation: the keyboard chosen from the full list will be applied.

schnappi wrote:2) Also, further during the installation, the time to complete installation is approx 1hour 30 mins for LXDE workstation. I find this to be bit time comsuming for a simple lxde workstation.

Depends on what you install from/to. Installation from usb drive is usually 10-15 minutes here. That won't be magically fixed by replacing the installer, though.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby schnappi » Apr 17th, '20, 16:34

http://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/content/selectKeyboard.html wrote:Note
After choosing a keyboard from the More dialogue, you'll return to the first keyboard choice dialogue and it will seem as though a keyboard from that screen was chosen. You can safely ignore this and continue the installation: the keyboard chosen from the full list will be applied.

Thanks for the infos. But rather than following the "rtm/read the manual" philosophy, I think its better to upgrade the flow so that its easy for new users. Hence the suggestion.
schnappi

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 18th, '20, 14:45

Feel free to write up a list of things for the installer in the wiki that should be changed (and how they should change in particular), which should consist mainly of constructive criticism.
----
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions