Small Suggestion

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Small Suggestion

Postby MaxP » Jul 27th, '19, 20:25

Hi!

I just had an idea that I want to share.
Mageia development teams are often stretched , and they rebuild all the apps, regularly and we are all grateful for that.h
But if the Mageia distribution moved to a model where it was the core operating system and a few useful mini app's along the lines of what we see out of the box on a Microsoft only install (ie without all the crap that vendors add) and then the rest was downloaded as appimages or one of the other app frameworks, flatpak or snap.

Then many distributions would benefit from those apps and visa versa and we would not be locked in to specific versions of apps, either way.

For example those that wanted to stick to an old version of an app for whatever reason could even on a newer operating system, or those suffering from a bug
in the version of app supplied with the current version could jump to the latest.

This would allow more freedom in the core, and perhaps more focus.

Thanks.
MaxP

Re: Small Suggestion

Postby benmc » Jul 28th, '19, 04:08

MaxP wrote:For example those that wanted to stick to an old version of an app for whatever reason could even on a newer operating system, or those suffering from a bug
in the version of app supplied with the current version could jump to the latest.

take VLC

latest available for download for windows: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html 3.0.7.1
latest available for downloads from Mageia repos : 3.0.7.1
appear to be the same.

I have not yet updated this system for VLC, so my system VLC is 3.0.6, I may choose to, or not to, update my VLC, my choice.

what you are proposing is broadly already available, as is the ability to install flatpaks.

One of the great things about Mageia is the multitude of desktops available that will just install and go,
Those that are familiar with each desktop have a particular requirement with the desktop packaged apps, so your suggestion would mean Mageia users will be getting a cut down version of their favourite desktop.
sure, those missing apps can added after, but it is definitely more work for the user, and would likely reflect poorly on Mageia.
benmc

Return to Ideas and suggestions