Cleaning day for the repos

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Cleaning day for the repos

Postby youpburden » Dec 8th, '16, 16:29

Hi,

While browsing the available software in the repos to do some QA-testing, I noticed some strange things.

For example both Comix and mcomix are available as packages while comix has been abandoned by the developpers since 2009 and mcomix has forked comix to deliver bugfixes and other stuff.

It’s strange that Mageia5 continues to ship obsolete package next to another whcich is almost a duplicate of the first but improved and it keeps going year after year...

It’s a waste of energy for the team to maintain that type of soft (except if it's a personnal preference from a packager, I don't know)
, that’s why checking for other similarities and cleaning the software included in the repos is important.

It would require a bit of time the first time, but I’m sure it will be worth it in the long run.
We would gain time to work on other things by dropping some obsolete/duplicate soft.
youpburden

Re: Cleaning day for the repos

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 8th, '16, 20:20

youpburden wrote:It’s strange that Mageia5 continues to ship obsolete package next to another whcich is almost a duplicate of the first but improved and it keeps going year after year...

Hi,
once a distribution is released, the packages in the /release branches are not touched anymore, then can only be superseded by an update of a different package or similar.

And if you have any suggestions for improvement for specific packages, then please report that as a bug, after searching if it hasn't been reported yet already: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly

FWIW, similar report was already created: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16050
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby youpburden » Dec 8th, '16, 23:16

I see the point by not touching packages in the repo once a stable version is released, but I just don't understand why some abandoned project since 2009 keeps being packaged into a 2015 or + distribution ...

It's like if Mageia 6 would ship openoffice and next to it Libreoffice it just doesn't make any sense, except a personal choice/preference.

Another example is KDE4, it's been dropped by upstream but it keeps being maintained by the Mageia team for Mageia 5, I get it and think it's fine for the stability.
But see what happens then, Mageia 6 will just drop KDE4 and ship with KDE 5 it's the logical evolution.

Anyway, I'll check if I can find more packages in this situation and file reports, I just thought it would be a good idea to organize some cleaning event to spot and ban packages from future releases.
youpburden

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 9th, '16, 00:01

youpburden wrote:Another example is KDE4, it's been dropped by upstream but it keeps being maintained by the Mageia team for Mageia 5, I get it and think it's fine for the stability.
But see what happens then, Mageia 6 will just drop KDE4 and ship with KDE 5 it's the logical evolution.

Apart from the fact that this is not correct, as KDE offers longterm support for KDE4 from an applications point of view, what else do you suggest?
And this was the same as for KDE3 => KDE4.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Ideas and suggestions