Lite

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Lite

Postby teak » Oct 15th, '16, 16:12

Perhaps a light version of Mageia can be issued. Easy to load on USB. Then the full version can either be upgraded. Or Maybe a free choice choose your package program. Look forward to packages like tuxguitar. I guess the RPM command is like: yum install tuxguitar.rpm? Sudo apt-get not used?

Where can we find packages? there is a Ubuntu place called app.ubuntu.com, one can see all the apps. How much space should I allocate between mint an Mageia. I think 35% Mint? Mint has bee reported unstable, so I may like to get rid of it all together.
teak

Re: Lite

Postby filip » Oct 16th, '16, 12:16

teak wrote:Look forward to packages like tuxguitar. I guess the RPM command is like: yum install tuxguitar.rpm? Sudo apt-get not used?

I recommend Mageia Control center as GUI tool. It's way simpler than CLI. Note that urpmi is tool for Mageia not yum or apt-get.

teak wrote:Where can we find packages? there is a Ubuntu place called app.ubuntu.com, one can see all the apps.

One option is Mageia Control center but if you insist on web site there's a Mageia app db available.
filip

Postby benmc » Oct 16th, '16, 21:11

teak wrote:Perhaps a light version of Mageia can be issued

what do you mean?

If you use the "network installation" method, you can install a Mageia Minimal and then only those programmes that take your fancy.
Likewise, if you downloaded the Classical .iso, again you can choose the packages and desktop you wish to install.
There are Live CD versions of KDE and Gnome, 680MB or less

If you wish, they can be installed onto USB.
You can then change the Desktop to your preferred one.
benmc

Postby ozky » Dec 14th, '16, 22:31

teak wrote:Perhaps a light version of Mageia can be issued. Easy to load on USB. Then the full version can either be upgraded. Or Maybe a free choice choose your package program. Look forward to packages like tuxguitar. I guess the RPM command is like: yum install tuxguitar.rpm? Sudo apt-get not used?

it's very fast and good way to install packages from terminal,rather than wait 10minutes to load buggy and slow laggy gui to install packages.
Here is command you need to use from terminal with root priviledges.
Code: Select all
urpmi tuxguitar
Mageia user
ozky

Postby Lebarhon » Dec 15th, '16, 17:31

ozky wrote:it's very fast and good way to install packages from terminal,rather than wait 10minutes to load buggy and slow laggy gui to install packages.
Here is command you need to use from terminal with root priviledges.
urpmi tuxguitar

Provided you know exactly what you need, try
urpmi guitar

you get nothing, it works with the CCM.
teak seems to be new with Mageia, I recommend him to have a look to our wiki documentation
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Documentation
Lebarhon

Postby xboxboy » Dec 16th, '16, 04:50

I use a minimal install for my testing web app and stuff in VM's, it's awesome. All the tools I need ie. Urpmi, MCC etc. with none of the junk I don't.

For workstations I still use a regular install though.
xboxboy

Return to Ideas and suggestions