Replace icewm-light with icewm

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Replace icewm-light with icewm

Postby drynkins » Apr 7th, '16, 16:53

Dear all! Thanks for a wonderful distro! Just getting to know it so far. But decided to come up with a suggestion, if i may, to replace icewm-light with full-featured icewm on simple installation with X. Should not take too much extra space for a full pannel with clock and applets (like a must-have keyboard applet for multilanguals) out of the box. Though such a minor thing, it would add up to make it a complete experience for minimalists and to avoid some confusion while editing icewm configs. Maybe adding both of them as an option during the individual package selection would make it an intermediate option? Thanks for your time!
Cheers!
drynkins

Re: Replace icewm-light with icewm

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 7th, '16, 21:51

In individual selection you can also directly select packages, see http://doc.mageia.org/installer/5/en/co ... sTree.html
Is that what you're asking for?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby drynkins » Apr 8th, '16, 01:13

Thanks for the reply! I would like to see not only icewm-light, but icewm as well in individual package selection (maybe even as a default option). At the moment you can upgrade from one to another only after the installation is complete. It took me some time to realize the light version limitations, and the fact that you gotta upgrade to get a full-featured taskbar.
Cheers
drynkins

Postby drynkins » Apr 8th, '16, 08:48

Thanks for the reply! i'm aware of the individual package selection -that feature is awesome!! what i think would be even more awesome is an option to install the full-featured icewm from that individual package selection menu during the Mageia's initial installation. At the moment you're have no choice but to go with icewm-light, which, as i mentioned, is a little too limited from my point of view, plus a little misleading (cuz the Minimal install section clearly states you gonna get icewm, see http://doc.mageia.org/installer/5/en/co ... stall.html. i didn't even know there is icewm-light before that! And they are two different packages). As minor as it seems it could be somewhat beneficial for certain audience.
Cheers !
drynkins

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 8th, '16, 18:27

Please report that as an enhancement request, after searching if it hasn't been reported yet already: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby drynkins » Apr 9th, '16, 02:42

Ok, thanks! And Sorry for double-posting
drynkins

Return to Ideas and suggestions