Download progress of packages during installation [SOLVED]

This forum is dedicated to new ideas, suggestions and proposals.

Download progress of packages during installation [SOLVED]

Postby rmag » Feb 2nd, '16, 03:39

I have recently installed Mageia5 and I am finding it very good. I have used a number of other distributions in the past. While installing packages, I find that urpmi does not show progress while downloading, though progress is shown while installing. Actually, more time is often needed while downloading, while actual file installing process takes much less time. Hence, I think it would be better if progress is shown while downloading also (as done by Pacman of Arch and apt-get etc of Debian).
Last edited by rmag on Feb 3rd, '16, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.
rmag

Re: Progress during downloading while installing packages

Postby Latte » Feb 2nd, '16, 10:54

You are talking about the graphical interface? I don't use it quite often, but there isn't a progress for the download process? You should try urpmi --auto-update in the terminal, there you will have a download progress available.
Latte

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 2nd, '16, 11:11

That depends on what downloader is configured/chosen. See the urpmi man page:
man urpmi wrote: --downloader program name
Use a specific program for downloading distant files via http or ftp. By default curl is used if available, or wget instead.

Hint: a short form is supported, so you can also use --wget or --curl.
curl and wget do not provide a progress bar with the default settings urpmi uses, but a % counter, ETA and download speed.

Although in the GUI, the progress bar is calculated, see the older bug https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10436

You can configure a different downloader systemwide, or only for selected repositories in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg
man urpmi.cfg wrote: downloader
Specify which download program to use: wget or curl.

urpmi supports wget,curl,aria2 and rsync as downloaders IIRC. For aria2, the progress bar broke parsing broke recently, see https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16500

edit doktor5000: actually it seems urpmi will never display such a ascii progress bar for downloading, just tested. So you should probably file an enhancement request bug for that
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ozky » Feb 2nd, '16, 15:55

I get only wget from terminal show progress of download.I needed to download huge 300mb package to see it my network speed is 3-5mb/s,it will not be visible with small libraries cause network is too fast.
Mageia user
ozky

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 2nd, '16, 17:29

All 3 usual downloaders show the progress in the same way (although for aria2 the patch from linked bug is required on mga5).
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby rmag » Feb 2nd, '16, 19:16

I was mentioning command version 'urpmi <pkg>' and not gui version.

I added following to /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg:
Code: Select all
{
 downloader : wget
}

and then ran command 'urpmi bleachbit'. But the output was same and there was no progress indicator while downloading packages, only while installing packages:

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/libgnomeui2_0-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/gnome-python-2.28.1-10.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                   
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/libgnome2-2.32.1-14.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                     
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/libbonoboui-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                     
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/gnome-python-bonobo-2.28.1-10.mga5.i586.rpm                                                           
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/gnome-keyring-3.14.0-2.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                   
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/libgnome2_0-2.32.1-14.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                   
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/libgnomeui2-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                     
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/gnome-python-canvas-2.28.1-10.mga5.i586.rpm                                                           
$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/libbonoboui2_0-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm                                                                 
installing gnome-python-2.28.1-10.mga5.i586.rpm libgnomeui2_0-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm libgnome2-2.32.1-14.mga5.i586.rpm gnome-python-bonobo-2.28.1-10.mga5.i586.rpm libbonoboui-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm gnome-keyring-3.14.0-2.mga5.i586.rpm libgnome2_0-2.32.1-14.mga5.i586.rpm libgnomeui2-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm libbonoboui2_0-2.24.5-8.mga5.i586.rpm gnome-python-canvas-2.28.1-10.mga5.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...                     #######################################################################################################
    17/27: libgnome2_0           #######################################################################################################
    18/27: libgnome2             #######################################################################################################
    19/27: libbonoboui           #######################################################################################################
    20/27: libbonoboui2_0        #######################################################################################################
    21/27: libgnomeui2           #######################################################################################################
    22/27: libgnomeui2_0         #######################################################################################################
    23/27: gnome-python-bonobo   #######################################################################################################
    24/27: gnome-python          #######################################################################################################
    25/27: gnome-python-canvas   #######################################################################################################
    26/27: gnome-keyring         #######################################################################################################

$MIRRORLIST: media/core/release/bleachbit-1.6-1.mga5.noarch.rpm
installing bleachbit-1.6-1.mga5.noarch.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms                                                                     
Preparing...                     #######################################################################################################
    27/27: bleachbit             #######################################################################################################

root@localhost:~#
rmag

Postby Latte » Feb 2nd, '16, 20:59

the percentage is not sufficient as download indicator?
[root@Laptop marc]# LC_ALL=C urpmi kernel-tmb-source-4.1.15-2.mga5

http://mirror.netcologne.de/mageia/distrib/5/x86_64/media/core/updates/kernel-tmb-source-4.1.15-2.mga5-1-1.mga5.noarch.rpm
^C      12% of 75.8M completed, ETA = 0:00:35, speed = 2002k 

I just aborted it during the download to show it (and in fact I don't need the sources of tmbs kernel ;) ). In my opinion there is all information someone needs? the progress, total size, estimated time left, actual speed. The only thing x times the sharp is missing (which has in fact no information, since you don't see the end...)
Latte

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 3rd, '16, 00:12

If you only install small packages, then usually those are downloaded in a few seconds, in which case the download progress doesn't show.
Try with bigger packages like texlive or kernel-source ;) or similar.
----
doktor5000

Postby rmag » Feb 3rd, '16, 01:24

Why I am not getting percentage as you can see from the output I posted above?
rmag

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 3rd, '16, 08:10

Did you read my last reply?
----
doktor5000

Postby rmag » Feb 3rd, '16, 09:13

If you only install small packages, then usually those are downloaded in a few seconds, in which case the download progress doesn't show.
Try with bigger packages like texlive or kernel-source ;) or similar.

My internet connection on this machine is very slow (~60 kbps). Hence, bleachbit downloaded slowly and there was no percentage mentioned.

edit doktor5000: actually it seems urpmi will never display such a ascii progress bar for downloading, just tested. So you should probably file an enhancement request bug for that

OK.
rmag

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 3rd, '16, 09:24

rmag wrote:I added following to /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg:
{
}

Where exactly did you add this? I've used media management to choose another downloader and got this, without a blank before the colon:

[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[08:22:31]─[~] cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg
{
  downloader: wget
  verify-rpm: 1
  xml-info:
}

[...]

Apart from that, you're using MIRRORLIST, where it's also possible that you get served rsync: mirrors and hence wget wouldn't be used.

Either try again by forcing the downloader with e.g.
urpmi --wget packagename

or select a specific mirror so that you know which protocol is used, instead of MIRRORLIST.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... dia_source
----
doktor5000

Postby rmag » Feb 3rd, '16, 13:18

I had manually added following to urpmi.cfg file:
{
}
after reading this page: viewtopic.php?t=1&p=16620

However, I placed above at the end of urpmi.cfg and not at the beginning. Also, I did not know that "downloader:" should not have any spaces.

Now I will use the simplest solution: urpmi --wget packagename
rmag

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 3rd, '16, 14:08

If you want an easy way to edit the global options, see the Options > Global Options menu in drakrpm-edit-media :
http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/5/en/content/ ... media.html
----
doktor5000

Postby rmag » Feb 3rd, '16, 17:20

Ok. Thanks.
rmag

Return to Ideas and suggestions