WinSCP? (in Mageia 7)

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

WinSCP? (in Mageia 7)

Postby m2m4m5 » Apr 20th, '19, 16:21

I'm not a mageia expert (nor linux), but I looked around for a nice ftp program and didn't find a very good one.
In my opinion winSCP would do it. But it's not part of mageia yet. Or did I simply miss the right installation medium?
So far I use gFTP. It's (very) old, but working. And I don't know, why I don't really like FileZilla (at least at the moment).
m2m4m5

Re: WinSCP? (in Mageia 7)

Postby martinw » Apr 20th, '19, 22:21

WinSCP is a Windows application, so it won't run on Linux directly, but it seems you could get it to work using Wine.

I usually use my web browser - just enter a ftp:// URL in the address bar. If I need to transfer many files at once, I use ncftp from the command line.
martinw

Postby m2m4m5 » Apr 21st, '19, 15:44

Thanks! I forget from time to time that WinSCP isn't available for Linux.

It should run with "Wine". It has a "platinum status" there. So everything should work.
The problem here is so far, that I don't get "Wine" running. The "Wine" executable couldn't be found.

(And... "Mageia Linux" could maybe be a distribution that exceeds others by a "magic trick", making impossible things possible.
That simply implies an easier use of "Wine" over a right mouseclick menu for example or something more advanced which readies everything out of the box.)

(But I can live with it the way it is now, if only I could get it working. Maybe you have a suggestion for that too.)
m2m4m5

Postby martinw » Apr 22nd, '19, 01:45

I think either q4wine or playonlinux might be what you want. Both are in the Mageia software repositories.
martinw

Postby jiml8 » Apr 22nd, '19, 02:41

Why on earth would you want to run winscp on linux?

There is the command line scp which works very nicely. If you want ftp, I use both the command line ncftp and the graphical Filezilla. Both work very well.
jiml8

Return to Basic support