HDMI audio has background noise

HDMI audio has background noise

Postby vattuvarg » Jun 5th, '15, 21:36

I like listening to music so recently my old computer was replaced with an ASUS E210. Now the computer is completely silent. It doesn't even have fans. It was connected with the old 3.5mm audio cable from the earphone socket. Every time I start the machine I have to set the sound to use the earphone socket. There is only that one 3.5mm socket.

It would be nice to have the sound working without changing settings so I thought about using HDMI instead. The Philips 248C monitor has the same 3.5mm socket. So I moved the plug. Everything was silent, as it should be. I lowered the volume and started playback. The beautiful female voice was mixed with quite a lot of background noise. Static. When pausing the playback the music stops and the white noise continues for a couple of seconds.

Is there anything I can do to get the audio without the background noise?
vattuvarg

Re: HDMI audio has background noise

Postby vattuvarg » Jun 5th, '15, 21:42

Forgot to add that I am running the Mageia 5 RC.
vattuvarg

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 5th, '15, 22:41

What desktop environment do you use?

For the analog output to the 3.5mm jack you should select analog audio output as default via the mixer or your desktop environment or by using pavucontrol.

For the background noise, that does not sound like it can be fixed by software. And it's probably not the HDMI that has the background noise but the passthrough in the monitor.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vattuvarg » Jun 5th, '15, 23:05

I use Gnome (and sometimes Cinnamon).

How do I set the analog output to be the default in pavucontrol? In the audio settings for Gnome there is the setting "use as fallback" but there's nothing similar in pavucontrol. None of the settings has changed the fact that the machine defaults to HDMI for audio after a reboot. That's why I am hoping to get HDMI working.

So I need to try another HDMI unit to see if that gets the background noise too? OK. I think I can borrow a DVD-player or something. Hopefully it's not the display. It's a nice unit and it uses very little electricity. ...and white displays are harder to find.
vattuvarg

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 6th, '15, 00:32

vattuvarg wrote:How do I set the analog output to be the default in pavucontrol? In the audio settings for Gnome there is the setting "use as fallback" but there's nothing similar in pavucontrol.

All those mixers offer such a setting, including pavucontrol. "use as fallback" effectively makes that the primary sound device.
Bildschirmfoto2_158.png
Bildschirmfoto2_158.png (61.49 KiB) Viewed 2018 times

You might need to go to the "Configuration" tab and try another profile for the analog output, but first you need to make it the primary output.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vattuvarg » Jun 6th, '15, 01:14

I had the two controls mixed up. The setting for fallback is in pavucontrol. ...and the computer still defaults to HDMI after a reboot. Maybe because it is a headphone socket? (It is the only analog audio socket on this small computer, except for the mic.)

Checking with alternative HDMI source as soon as possible.
vattuvarg

Postby vattuvarg » Jun 6th, '15, 14:04

You were right about the noise being added by the display. No luck there.
vattuvarg

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 8th, '15, 19:34

Can you please show a screenshot of pavucontrol on the output devices tab?
Also please add the output as normal user of
Code: Select all
pacmd list-sinks | grep priority
pactl list short
pacmd list-cards

For that use code tags as explained in ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandriva/m ... e_tags.ogv
----
doktor5000

Return to Sound