Gnome GDM does not play ready or login sounds

Gnome GDM does not play ready or login sounds

Postby ssivil » Jul 15th, '11, 17:13

Has anyone been able to hear the GDM desktop-ready or the login sounds? The Gnome Login Sound is listed in the startup programs, put I can't here them. All other sound is working correctly correctly. Thank you.
ssivil

Re: Gnome GDM does not play ready or login sounds

Postby Picure_one » Nov 13th, '11, 01:50

and, does anyone know how to change it? I mean, I have a couple of .wav sound files I'd like to use instead.
Picure_one

Postby John66 » Dec 12th, '11, 06:36

I managed to hear the login sound, by doing the following:
Opened the file manager (as root), went to directory: /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/, and pasted there the sound file (in ogg) I wanted. Renamed the file as: desktop-login.ogg.
Rebooted.
The login sound is now playing!

It seems that some of the sound files are missing from the directory... :?:
So, I placed a couple files there, and renamed them as: desktop-logout.ogg & system-ready.ogg, but I had no success, until now, in hearing the ready-sound (in gdm) or logout-sound.
After that, sometimes, I hear (not in it's full length) the ready-sound when I log-out, and always when I close Firefox. :lol:

I'll keep trying...

It's not a Mageia-only problem. There's the same "problem", in other distros too.
John66

Postby John66 » Dec 12th, '11, 13:13

Just wanted to add, that today I don't hear any sound when closing firefox (that's good), but still hear the ready-sound when I'm logging off (that's not right).
Anyway, I'm still searching for a solution, about ready-sound & logout-sound.
Login-sound problem is solved, at least for me.
John66

Return to Sound