[SOLVED] Sound cards disappeared after reboot

[SOLVED] Sound cards disappeared after reboot

Postby tarazed » Mar 5th, '14, 12:56

Mageia 4 x86_64 : MATE as DE

After installing on my main workstation I have had endless troubles trying to drive a
Bluetooth soundlink speaker. Gave up on bluetooth after eading the errata page regarding
bluez and MATE and went on to try a wired connection to the speaker. No sound, although
pavuctrl showed that the analogue sound card was dealing with it. During my experiments
the pulse directory appeared under ~/.config but owned by root. Must have done something
wrong along the way. Changed ownership to user lcl and rebooted to clear the air. No
cards registered with the sound system although harddrake2 could detect both of them. No
snd_hda_intel drivers anywhere on disk. Could not find a soundcard database. So, how do
I get the system to see the cards again? pulseaudio is definitely running but there is
nothing in ~/.config/pulse but a cookie file.
Last edited by tarazed on Mar 6th, '14, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
tarazed

Re: Sound cards disappeared after reboot

Postby tarazed » Mar 5th, '14, 15:32

Further to this:

snd_hda_intel is the driver specified for the two soundcards but where is it? lsmod
shows that it is not loaded and locate cannot find any filename containing that string.

Code: Select all
$ rpm -q --whatprovides snd_hda_intel
no package provides snd_hda_intel

Does that mean it is built into the kernel?

Wired sound now works on one of my laptops under MATE using snd_hda_intel. I managed to
start pulseaudio by running start-pulseaudio-x11 as a user. But that still leaves the
problem on the desktop machine. The workstation has a user .pulse directory containing
various .tdb files (including the card database) and a couple of broken runtime links.
On the laptop the snd_hda_intel driver is loaded and it does not correspond with any
.ko.z files so I guess it must be built in.
tarazed

Postby tarazed » Mar 5th, '14, 17:27

The operating system does know about the cards but the mixers cannot see them anymore; weird or what?

[root@localhost lcl]# lspcidrake -v | grep -i audio
snd_hda_intel   : NVIDIA Corporation|GF114 HDMI Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO_DEV] (vendor:10de device:0e0c subv:10de subd:0958) (rev: a1)
snd_hda_intel   : Intel Corporation|6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO_DEV] (vendor:8086 device:1c20 subv:1028 subd:0527) (rev: 05)
tarazed

Postby tarazed » Mar 6th, '14, 00:07

Fools rush in where angels fear..... or alittle knowledge is a dangerous thing. It was my own fault - when wired sound did not work I tinkered with snd_hda_intel and set enable to true. Cleared that and the audio cards reappeared. Still don't know if wired sound would work. Don't fancy any more experiments because my Altec Lansing speaker now works via its bluetooth dongle. Bluetooth itself does not work under MATE but the dongle is seen as an audio device, on the main workstation at least. On the other it is assigned to usb_hid.
tarazed

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 6th, '14, 02:12

tarazed wrote:snd_hda_intel is the driver specified for the two soundcards but where is it? lsmod
shows that it is not loaded and locate cannot find any filename containing that string.

$ rpm -q --whatprovides snd_hda_intel
no package provides snd_hda_intel

Does that mean it is built into the kernel?
[...]
On the laptop the snd_hda_intel driver is loaded and it does not correspond with any
.ko.z files so I guess it must be built in.

rpm -q --whatprovides only queries the provides tags of all installed packages. It will not return anything for files, as using filenames for provides is disregarded.
To query which package contains a file/part of filename use urpmf.

And actually what you wanted to use was modinfo - as that will work either via the module base filename snd-hda-intel or it's module alias snd_hda_intel.

Check:

[doktor5000@Mageia4 ~]$ sudo modinfo snd_hda_intel | grep filename
filename:       /lib/modules/3.12.13-desktop-2.mga4/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.xz
[doktor5000@Mageia4 ~]$ sudo modinfo snd-hda-intel | grep filename
filename:       /lib/modules/3.12.13-desktop-2.mga4/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko.xz
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] Sound cards disappeared after reboot

Postby tarazed » Mar 6th, '14, 12:12

Thanks, again, for your helpful reply. As ever you are a mine of information.
As I said, a little knowledge....
tarazed

Re: [SOLVED] Sound cards disappeared after reboot

Postby tarakbumba » Mar 11th, '14, 17:09

As a quick note; you should install mate-settings-daemon-pulse or mate-settings-daemon-gstramer and mate-media-pulse or mate-media-gstreamer depending your choice of backends (Pulse or Alsa)
tarakbumba

Return to Sound