Skype sound dies on Mageia 4 or not on

Skype sound dies on Mageia 4 or not on

Postby moshebagelfresser » Feb 3rd, '14, 20:49

When Skype starts up there's no sound, I have to quit Skype and then open again. Sometimes I have to do this several times. I am wondering whether the latest Skype version is to blame.

Any ideas on this.
moshebagelfresser

Re: Skype sound dies on Mageia 4 or not on

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 3rd, '14, 22:37

moshebagelfresser wrote:I am wondering whether the latest Skype version is to blame.

Any ideas on this.

Well, try some of the older versions. For Skype we also have a MAQeia: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1121

Just checked, and skype works just fine here, with get-skype-4.2.0.11-5.mga4.nonfree
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby marcpare » Feb 19th, '14, 16:21

I have this problem on some of my boxes too but not all. Try this:

* open skype and before calling anyone
* go to options
* click on sound
* Skype will have autmatically found your sound devide BUT
* notice the name of the sound device and pick any other sound device and then click apply
* go back and choose the same sound device that was first picked by Skype then re-choose it
* do your call

If you call anyone and your sound is dead, just signal to the person to wait, and do the same as above.

This tends to work for me. Hope this can help you.

Cheers,

Marc
marcpare

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 19th, '14, 22:32

Skype will try to use Pulseaudio by default. You're supposed to select your preferred audio device via the mixer of your desktop environment.

Also you may want to look at the posts starting from viewtopic.php?p=44730#p44730
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby marcpare » Feb 20th, '14, 04:26

I am not really a big fan of pulse audio, so I normally turn it off and go for ALSA.

That being said, yes if Pulse is chosen as the audio driver then, yes, there are no other choices of drivers other than Pulse.

But, if ALSA is chosen, then, through the "Options" section in Skype, you can pick the audio driver of your choice. If you then follow the routine I suggested, then there is no need to restart Skype, and, it also leaves you an option to fix audio problems inside Skype even when you connect with another Skype person abroad -- this will sometimes happen if someone Skypes you and you find that when you answer their call that they can't hear you. You then just go through the routine I described and it will fix the problem.

Cheers,

Marc
marcpare

Return to Sound