[SOLVED] After Upgrade no sound.

[SOLVED] After Upgrade no sound.

Postby francescospina » Jan 7th, '14, 09:04

After the last upgrade i've lost the sound on my laptop. I have Mageia 3 in a laptop Toshiba A100-095. If i try to see the setup for the audio all seems to be good, but i've not sound, in alsamixer all is setup to 100 and if i go to the audio setting i see the bar working like the sound is going. I've tried to follow other topic but i still have the same problem.

Thank yoo.
Last edited by francescospina on Jan 25th, '14, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
francescospina

Re: After Upgrade no sound.

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 7th, '14, 20:39

What desktop environment do you use? And in the mixer of the desktop environment, what's selected as main device?
As most laptops also have HDMI output via graphics card, which is mostly preferred by the system and usually one needs to switch that to Internal Audio Analog Stereo.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 7th, '14, 21:27

My desktop environment is KDE and the audio card is HDA Intel Realtek ALC861-VD. I tried to change the default sound card with the intel card but nothing change. :(
Attachments
tab18.png
tab18.png (796.51 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
tab15.png
tab15.png (787.22 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
francescospina

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 7th, '14, 21:36

That's alsamixer. Use kmix, which is in the lower right corner in your systray in the screenshot.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 7th, '14, 22:08

I have problem to launch kmix, if i click the icon the system seems to start but after few second the process is stopped, if i try to launch the program by the terminal i have this result:

[root@localhost francesco]# kmix
unnamed app(3149): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

unnamed app(3148): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.
francescospina

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 7th, '14, 22:19

You should not launch kmix as root, please run it as normal user.
If you really want to (there's no use to it, as if you run it under root, next time your KDE session is restored it will restore the settings for the normal user) then do so after running
Code: Select all
su -
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 7th, '14, 22:21

doktor5000 wrote:You should not launch kmix as root, please run it as normal user. If you started it as normal user from menu, check if it's not hidden in systemtray. Click on the little triangle right of the systemtray to show hidden entries.

If you really want to run graphical applications as root (there's no use to it, as if you run it under root, next time your KDE session is restored it will restore the settings for the normal user) then do so after running
su -
----
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 8th, '14, 09:51

I'm on kmix, if i go to the riproduction settings i see the file attacched. If i want to select the principal channel i have only: "Output Dummy". Am I in the right way?
Attachments
tab19.png
tab19.png (995.06 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
francescospina

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 8th, '14, 22:31

Yes, but it should show your actual sound devices there.

Did you maybe disable Pulseaudio beforehand, or any other changes to the audio setup?
Also check what you see in systemsettings -> multimedia -> phonon -> device preferences for playback.
----
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 10th, '14, 17:29

Sorry if i'm writing the answer now but i have this pc at parents home, and i can't use it every day..I attach the screen shot of the audio setting, and the internal audio stereo is in grey, could be a problem with the driver? i didn't change nothing in this settings, i have this problem since i've installed the update.
Attachments
tab20.png
tab20.png (144.77 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
francescospina

Postby marja » Jan 11th, '14, 23:09

Tbh, I don't know anything about sound, but I copied the suggestions about sound troubleshooting that are hidden in MCC to https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Support:DebuggingSoundProblems#The_.22Sound_troubleshooting.22_suggestions_in_MCC

If that doesn't help, then there are more links when you scroll up in that page.

Cheers,
Marja
marja

Postby francescospina » Jan 18th, '14, 21:50

I haven't solved my problem, who can help me? please :D
francescospina

Postby marja » Jan 19th, '14, 12:43

francescospina wrote:I haven't solved my problem, who can help me? please :D

You tried everything here
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Support:Debu ... d_commands
and there were no error messages or weird results at all?
marja

Postby francescospina » Jan 19th, '14, 14:45

I have used this command to show if pulse audio have problem, but i don't understand the results:

[francesco@localhost ~]$ ps aux | grep pulseaudio
500       4960  0.8  0.2 109520  5888 ?        S<l  13:29   0:05 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
500       5657  0.0  0.0   4916   840 pts/2    S+   13:40   0:00 grep --color pulseaudio

All it's working correctly?

I have used all the command of the link and i think that all is ok, i think that the problem is the driver of the sound card.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Jan 19th, '14, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags, to improve on clarity
francescospina

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 19th, '14, 16:01

Well, you don't understand the results but you think that everything is OK? Above output only shows that pulseaudio service is running.

What about point 3, 7 and 8 from the wiki page?
----
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 20th, '14, 09:18

I have done those command but i didn't know that i had to post it, next time i will do it because now i'm out of my house. I think that all is good because i don't read program off or something else, is only an intuition. Doktor5000 doesn't think that the problem could be in the image attached above where the internal audio is in grey? Is normal or is a problem of driver? I'm here to learn.:D
Last edited by francescospina on Jan 20th, '14, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
francescospina

Postby wintpe » Jan 20th, '14, 13:51

if you go to start -> sound and video -> pulseaudio volume control and select the tab output devices

what does it say

also what profile is selected in the configuration.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 20th, '14, 21:43

francescospina wrote:Doktor5000 doesn't think that the problem could be in the image attached above where the internal audio is in grey? Is normal or is a problem of driver?

The screenshot shows a sympton or the effect of your problem, but not the reason.
It is not normal, you should see all your soundcards there, and no dummy output. Probably you configured that yourself somehow.

Right-click on kmix -> main channel -> what is selected there? What can you select?

@Peter: It will only show Dummy device, as that's the one enabled currently. kmix should be favored.
----
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 20th, '14, 21:59

If i go to the main channel i can select only "Output Dummy", i don't have other choise.
francescospina

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 20th, '14, 22:15

What do you see on the rightmost tab in pavucontrol?
----
doktor5000

Postby francescospina » Jan 20th, '14, 22:26

I can't answer now because that laptop is not with me. I wrote my last answer because i remembered what i saw in the main channel. I will post the answer when i will get that laptop, sorry.
francescospina

Postby francescospina » Jan 25th, '14, 23:26

I don't know why but in the configuration of pavucontrol i had analogic stereo input, after changing in output all is gone well. :D

Thank you for the help.
francescospina

Return to Sound