USB Sound Devices with no sound

USB Sound Devices with no sound

Postby rrsc16954 » Jun 28th, '11, 14:27

I am trying to use a USB Sound Device because of an on-going hardware problem but I get no sound. In Mageia Control Centre I think I can see the device as 'C-Media USB Headphone set'.

When I click on the device it shows:

Vendor: ‎C-Media Electronics, Inc.

Description: ‎C-Media USB Headphone Set

Media class: ‎Audio|Control Device

Connection
Bus: ‎USB

Bus PCI #: ‎2

PCI device #: ‎2

Vendor ID: ‎0x0d8c

Device ID: ‎0x000c

Misc Module: ‎snd_usb_audio

It offers to let me 'set current driver options' but all the fields are empty and I don't know if I need to make entries. It's supposed to be 'plug and play' and it works ok in XP letting me use headphones or my speakers without drivers.

EDIT: My motherboard soundcard is still installed and working (but is for XP as well) - can this interfere?

Any help please?
rrsc16954

Re: USB Sound Devices with no sound

Postby ahmad » Jun 28th, '11, 14:59

Yes, it interferes, but not necessarily in a bad way. You have two sound devices and ALSA picks one and makes it the default at boot with no guarantees which one will be the default.

PulseAudio is enabled by default, you can use it to manage multiple sound devices, so open pavucontrol (Menu -> Sound & Video -> PulseAudio Volume Control):
- While any app is playing sound, a stream should appear on the Playback tab, you can route the sound to the device you want
- You can set the usb device to be the default one, in the "Playback Devices" tab click the green-tick-mark icon next to the appropriate device to set is as the "fallback" i.e. default.
ahmad

Re: USB Sound Devices with no sound FIXED!!!!

Postby rrsc16954 » Jun 28th, '11, 21:05

Hi ahmad - that worked - thank you very much!

It is very sensitive though and very easy to confuse so sound is lost again requiring several re-boots to get going again.

I will just need to remember not to upset it again!

I bought 2 different versions from Amazon because they are so cheap just a couple of pounds when I was expecting to buy a sound card for much more. With XP I can just swap them backwards and forwards but Mageia doesn't like that at all! I had to decide which one was going where...

I think the speaker system I got with pc is on the blink and has broken the onboard soundcard on one pc and nearly broken the same on another that is not working properly! Thanks again.
rrsc16954

Re: USB Sound Devices with no sound NOT FIXED

Postby rrsc16954 » Jun 29th, '11, 20:46

Another day, and today no sound. I have been tinkering for an hour or so re-booting and re-booting but not a sound! I am now thinking about turning off the internal sound card but not sure how to this safely.
rrsc16954

Postby ahmad » Jun 30th, '11, 05:37

No sound at all, or just no sound in the usb sound device?

Make sure alsa-utils is installed then post the output of:
aplay -l
cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/modules
ahmad

Postby rrsc16954 » Jul 1st, '11, 00:45

Hi - I didn't have the card installed to begin and when I plugged it in a message flashed up something like 'switching from internal to adapter'.

The volume was turned right down to begin, I have turned it up and checked the green tick and no sound at all. I have re-booted twice and now have the adapter showing when I click on the volume control at the bottom of the stream and also in Pulse.

[root@localhost richard]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 1/2
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 1: default [C-Media USB Headphone Set ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
[root@localhost richard]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfbdf8000 irq 21
1 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:02.0-3, full speed
[root@localhost richard]# cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio

The following was after the re-boots:

[root@localhost richard]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: default [C-Media USB Headphone Set ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
Subdevices: 1/2
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
[root@localhost richard]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:02.0-3, full speed
1 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfbdf8000 irq 21
[root@localhost richard]# cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_hda_intel
rrsc16954

Postby ahmad » Jul 1st, '11, 01:24

Could you test:
- Power off, connect the usb device then start the machine, does it work?
- Power off, don't connect the usb device until the system has fully booted and you've logged in, does it work?
ahmad

Postby rrsc16954 » Jul 1st, '11, 20:15

I tried the ways you suggested: connect before and connect after and got no sound. I tried power down and re-boot with a different device and got it to work (on the playback page of the PAVC at VLC audio stream on I selected Audio Controller).

Rebooted to see if still working but not a sound after lots of tinkering. I tried the Kubuntu 11.04 live cd and got no sound from that either. I see on the Kubuntu and Ubuntu websites other users trying to get help with the same problem.

Thank you for your patience.
rrsc16954

Postby ahmad » Jul 1st, '11, 22:12

Try tinkering with the profile for that device on the "Configuration" tab in pavucontrol.
ahmad

Postby rrsc16954 » Jul 5th, '11, 20:58

I have been tinkering day to day but no sounds. I'm a bit weary with this problem, hopefully sometime there will be a fix.

Even if I get it to work there is no guarantee or even likelihood it will work next time and I don't like those odds.

I have tried the Kubuntu 11.04 live cd again several times and I can get sound each time. Unfortunately because it is 'live' I need to tinker quite a little to get the sound (give myself permission to access the software downloads to enable d/l lame/mp3 to enable to play sound-file and it doesn't remember next time). After getting the mp3 software I can go into Phonon and choose the usb card and it plays ok for that session.

All my music, audiobooks and video files are stored on this computer (my library) so it's a bit of a pain and I may install Kubuntu until Mageia 2 arrives.

Thank you for trying to help.
rrsc16954

Postby ahmad » Jul 6th, '11, 04:36

I am out of ideas.. sorry.

I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugs.mageia.org , so that Colin Guthrie (or resident sound and pulse expert) can have a look at it.
ahmad

Return to Sound