root shell needed for sound

root shell needed for sound

Postby Mijzelf » Sep 22nd, '13, 19:21

On a Dell Inspiron Mini (Atom, GMA500, ...) laptop I have Mageia 3 installed, with an LXDE desktop. Now I have the problem that sometimes sound doesn't work.

In that case mplayer cannot play any video, it stalls in about 0.5 second. And it's sound related. If I disable sound in mplayer (by choosing null as output device), it runs fine. But as soon as I open a terminal, and login as root, it begins to play. As soon as I logout, it stalls again.

Having a root shell open as work-around is good enough for me, but I wonder which strange mechanism is involved here. I can imagine that some initialisation in .profile or something like that can get the sound going. But why does it stop on logging out? I checked, that session doesn't have anything running than bash.
Mijzelf

Re: root shell needed for sound

Postby marja » Sep 22nd, '13, 23:25

That is weird, it reminds me of https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9799 which was fixed before Mageia 3 was released.

I suppose you don't see the "c" prefix on the session id when doing
Code: Select all
loginctl
as root, as in comment 27 of that bug https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9799#c27, do you?
marja

Postby Mijzelf » Sep 23rd, '13, 20:08

Indeed that bugreport fits. But I do have the 'c' prefix:
[root@localhost user]# loginctl
   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT           
        c1        500 user             seat0           
         1        500 user             seat0           

2 sessions listed.

I must admit that I cannot really follow in that thread what was causing the problem.

A new observation: After a reboot the sound works normally, until I open (and close) a root shell. The reboot is not complete, btw, it's 'waking up' from suspend-to-disk.
Mijzelf

Postby marja » Sep 23rd, '13, 20:35

Well, that "c" prefix shows you do have the same bug.

The fix was added to cauldron core/updates_testing, but not to cauldron core, as was the intention. If that had been done, the fix would now have been in Mageia 3

I'll reopen the bug report
marja

Postby marja » Sep 25th, '13, 17:47

@ "mijzelf"

lxdm-0.4.1-13.1.mga3, which solves this bug, is now in Mageia 3_core/updates_testing or, if your mirror doesn't update often, should land there soon.

Can you please test this package and give feedback in the Bug report mentioned above. Please tell whether it solves the issue, whether you see any regressions and which platform (i586 or x86_64) you use.

marja

Postby Mijzelf » Sep 26th, '13, 19:42

Should it popup in "Control Center"->"Update your system"? It hasn't done so far.
Mijzelf

Postby marja » Sep 26th, '13, 21:11

Mijzelf wrote:Should it popup in "Control Center"->"Update your system"? It hasn't done so far.

Sorry, I should have explained.

It needs to be validated by QA team first, so instead of in core/updates it is now in core/updates_testing.

If you want to test, you should enable that medium, you can read how to do that here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Enabling_the_Testing_media

It is then best to go to a terminal and, as root, do
urpmi lxdm

When the package is installed, please don't forget to disable the updates_testing medium again.
marja

Return to Sound