Sound problem with wine

Sound problem with wine

Postby buchstabensalat » Sep 14th, '13, 15:50

Hi there,
I have a problem with wine and sound.
If I start wine while another program is playing sound, I get no sound in wine. Also the sound device is missing from audio tab in winecfg in that case. If I start wine while no other program is playing sound, sound is working fine in wine, but no other program can play sound as long as wine is running.

Screenshot of winecfg:
buchstabensalat

Re: Sound problem with wine

Postby colin » Sep 15th, '13, 20:22

Wine is pretty dumb when it comes to it's audio probing. Especially when using the winealsa.drv stuff.

I'd strongly recommend you use the winepulse driver and ensure you are using PulseAudio (although looking in our code, it seems our wine package does not ship the winepulse stuff any longer - will look into that).

While alsa can technically act as a multiplexor to the hardware via it's dmix plugin, lots of applications (such as wine) stupidly try and acess the h/w directly rather than just using the "default" alsa device. Pretty much all consumer h/w out there only allows one application to access the h/w at a time. This is not normally obvious to users as this detail is hidden away by either PulseAudio (by default) or ALSA dmix. This is highlighted in the device choice menus you see. Really the applications (wine in this case) shouldn't try to implement this as it's pretty much always wrong for an application to access the device directly (there are some exceptions to this rule - namely for PulseAudio itself or JACK if it's used - i.e. very low level sound applications/servers).

Anyway, this complication is typically all hidden away. You should only pick "System default" here with the winealsa stuff. THis should mean that sound will go via the "default alsa device which on a typical setup will be the PulseAudio ALSA plugin in a standard install. Even without the winepulse driver, this should still work. If it turns out wine is accessing the hardware directly even when you select "Systemd default" then something further is wrong.

If it turns out Wine picks the wrong device by default, DONT edit it in Wine, instead use e.g. pavucontrol to chose the right device for wine sounds.

HTHs
colin

Postby buchstabensalat » Sep 15th, '13, 23:36

colin wrote:Anyway, this complication is typically all hidden away. You should only pick "System default" here with the winealsa stuff. THis should mean that sound will go via the "default alsa device which on a typical setup will be the PulseAudio ALSA plugin in a standard install. Even without the winepulse driver, this should still work. If it turns out wine is accessing the hardware directly even when you select "Systemd default" then something further is wrong.

It was set to (System Default) initially, i only experimented with those settings because of the problem, behavior is the same with (System Default) and ALC899 Analog. About pavucontrol: I guess wine should turn up in pavucontrol -> Playback when playing sound? It doesn't.

colin wrote:I'd strongly recommend you use the winepulse driver and ensure you are using PulseAudio (although looking in our code, it seems our wine package does not ship the winepulse stuff any longer - will look into that).

I tried building wine from source with pulse support earlier today. (I took the source from here: http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git )
This worked fine for 64bit wine, it built without problems and used the pulseaudio driver. I couldn't run the (32bit) programs I wanted to run with it though, I figured I need 32bit wine. With wine32 I ran into dependency problems. I couldn't install libpulseaudio-devel, I got this error:
Code: Select all
1 installation transactions failed
There was a problem during the installation:
file /usr/bin/gdbus-codegen from install of libglib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.i586 conflicts with file from package lib64glib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.x86_64
file /usr/bin/glib-genmarshal from install of libglib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.i586 conflicts with file from package lib64glib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.x86_64
file /usr/bin/gobject-query from install of libglib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.i586 conflicts with file from package lib64glib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.x86_64
file /usr/bin/gtester from install of libglib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.i586 conflicts with file from package lib64glib2.0-devel-2.34.3-4.mga3.x86_64

Anyway, thanks for looking into this.
buchstabensalat

Postby buchstabensalat » Oct 4th, '13, 08:36

I spent another 2 afternoons with this, without success. I switched to a virtual machine in the end. :(
buchstabensalat

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 4th, '13, 21:04

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Sound