[DONE] ATI SBx00 Azalia - no sound

[DONE] ATI SBx00 Azalia - no sound

Postby mackowiakp » Jun 29th, '13, 19:07

It is well known bug, but I have no sound on AMD ATI SBx00 Azalia sound chipset. Many information when goggling about the bug but is any workaround?
Last edited by mackowiakp on Jul 12th, '13, 23:10, edited 3 times in total.
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

No sound on AMD ATI SBx00 Azalia

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 1st, '13, 11:41

I moved topic from "Basic-Sound" to "Advanced" because nature of problem. I have no sound on AMD ATI SBx00 Azalia sound chipset. It was well known bug aprox 5 years ego, but (i think) still present in M3.

Output from lspsci:

Code: Select all
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Host Bridge (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS480 PCI Bridge
00:12.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI0)
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI1)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI2)
00:13.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI3)
00:13.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI4)
00:13.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 13)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 IDE
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200/1100]
0c:04.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10

Only null sound output is available, but the system recognize card as snd- intel-hda as existing.
Any idea how to resolve the problem?

WARNING ! The administrator has the right to refuse to install WINDOWS, invoking the conscience clause
mackowiakp

Re: No sound on AMD ATI SBx00 Azalia

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '13, 20:13

Please don't cross-post, or post twice for the same topic. Also by just posting in another subforum, you probably won't get more replies.
I've merged it into your existing thread.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: ATI SBx00 Azalia - no sound

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 1st, '13, 20:50

After goggling a lot and try to find out solution. I try alsa tools like: alsamixer, alsactl etc, but nothing helps. Still KMix shows only "deaf" output as a master. So I think, something wrong with audio driver.
KMix also does not show for example stereo output. Help please !

mackowiakp

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 2nd, '13, 17:01

Just goggling, goggling, goggling etc. And YES< YES< YES! The sound in working. The only problem is that i dont know how I done it... :D

mackowiakp

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 5th, '13, 22:01

Short update. After several reboots - the problem return. I don know why, but only "null" output is available on KMix. So no sound and procedure like this:
http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=134656

But nothing helps. Probably it is old bug with origin in Mandriva sources or KDE. Any idea?

mackowiakp

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 6th, '13, 21:58

Topic moved to Bugzilla because of possible kernel driver related problem.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10721

mackowiakp

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 12th, '13, 13:06

I just found workaround to this problem. Simply bought USB audio dongle, turn off audio chip on BIOS level and plug the dongle to PC. The cost of such dongle in my country - 0,9 EURO. Just dont want to waste a time for evident bug in Mageia. I placed the problem in M3 bugzilla.

I dont know manufacturer of this dongle (this is original "China No Name") but there is an output from lsusb:

Code: Select all
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter

And link to the portal I bought one (sorry it is in Polish)

http://allegro.pl/nowa-karta-dzwiekowa- ... 08188.html

So can I mark the topic a [WORKAROUND] ?

mackowiakp

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 12th, '13, 22:37

mackowiakp wrote:o can I mark the topic a [WORKAROUND] ?

Yep, either that or [DONE].

Apart from that, only opening the bugreport is not enough, please follow up on it and please provide the information, for the builtin audio.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [DONE] ATI SBx00 Azalia - no sound

Postby Atticrat » Jul 13th, '13, 20:48

I was trying various random things here, since my Azalia-based sound was disabled somehow during the most recent update. I tried booting to older kernels, playing with boot kernel options, just being silly 'cause I don't know what I'm doing.

Then, because in the "old days" I always had to boot using "no APIC" I tried that, and Gnome ...came up with the old menu and desktop. And the audio was shown to be at 8%. I moved the audio level slider up and it made the "pop" sound to confirm the change. Huhh... Audio.

So, I restarted with the default boot options and the modern Gnome menu and desktop appeared. But the audio was still working.

OK, now I get it. It's magic. I'll let somebody else figure it out, but I've got my audio back.

Later addendum:
After several days, my computer once again booted with no audio support. I repeated the same series of steps--Restart with "No APIC" and then restart again using "Default"--and once again the same results. The audio came back. Freaky stuff, huh? I've got my audio, and I imagine some great and mighty wizard is already working on a solid fix for it, though.
Last edited by Atticrat on Jul 19th, '13, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.
Atticrat

Re: [DONE] ATI SBx00 Azalia - no sound

Postby mackowiakp » Jul 14th, '13, 08:50

As "Uncle Goggle" stands, it is necessary to add some additional parameters to snd_hda_intel driver in /etc/modprobe* files, according to particular hardware/manufacturer needs. The question is which one in particular case. Look to the link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

But installer should did it by itself. So in my meaning it is a bug.

mackowiakp

Return to Sound