[SOLVED] incoming email does not play sound

[SOLVED] incoming email does not play sound

Postby Randall » Jun 20th, '13, 21:44

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with 2 internal hard drives. One drive runs Mageia 3 that does not play a sound when a Thunderbird email arrives, even though I have Thunderbird enabled to play a sound. Mageia plays a sound when Mageia launches. The other hard drive runs Windows XP which plays a sound when a Thunderbird email arrives. I also installed the Claws email program on Mageia's hard drive, but that also does not play a sound when an email arrives.
Last edited by Randall on Jun 23rd, '13, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Randall

Re: incoming email does not play sound

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 22nd, '13, 12:33

You may need to choose a custom sound, other then the system default. I've not yet found out how thunderbird determines the GNOME/GTK system sound to use.
Check Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Play a sound -> Play a custom sound and select one there.

For me it works though, with the system sound. Maybe i've just got the package installed which includes the sound thunderbird wants to play ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: incoming email does not play sound

Postby Randall » Jun 23rd, '13, 00:47

I went to MCC, entered "esound" in the search bar, got "PulseAudio Esound", and installed it. I then opened Konqueror, found "PulseAudio" in /usr/bin/, and copied it to the desktop. I then went to Thunderbird's toolbar -> Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Play a sound -> selected the "Browse" button -> entered "PulseAudio" into the search box. It still did not play a sound when I received an email, so I uninstalled Thunderbird and installed the Kmail email application, and enabled Kmail to play a sound. Kmail plays the sound about 8 seconds after the email appears in the inbox.
Randall

Re: [SOLVED] incoming email does not play sound

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 23rd, '13, 01:14

You should select a sound file, not some sound application. Best choose one from /usr/share/sounds
and it seems like Thunderbird only supports .wav files.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] incoming email does not play sound

Postby Randall » Jun 23rd, '13, 01:32

I reinstalled Thunderbird, went to toolbar -> Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Play a sound -> selected the "Browse" button -> Selected "File System" in left column -> /usr/share/sounds -> pop.wav
Thunderbird now makes a pop sound when I receive an email.
Thanks
Randall

Return to Sound