[SOLVED] PulseAudio: Unable to connect

[SOLVED] PulseAudio: Unable to connect

Postby dbg » Jun 4th, '13, 01:23

After updating to Mageia 3 I have found sound no longer works with pokerth. This is what I get when starting it from Konsole:

Code: Select all
[dennis@noob ~]$ pokerth
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

Mix_OpenAudio() was not successfull, no sound possible :(

I am running a 64 bit system and pokerth is a 586 program so I'm thinking it must be a library conflict. The program works fine otherwise...just no sound. Sound on other programs also works correctly.
Last edited by dbg on Jun 4th, '13, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
dbg

[Solved] Re: PulseAudio: Unable to connect

Postby dbg » Jun 4th, '13, 20:09

My error...here's why:

I mentioned that pokerth is a 586 game. The Mageia repos include a x86_64 version but it is not on the DVD. When I upgraded to Mga3 I downloaded the DVD and copied all the RPMs to my hard drive and made a local repository. This works fine so if I install any new software it will come off the hard drive instead of re-downloading it or having to insert the dvd into the optical drive. My mistake was that I then disabled the core-release and nonfree-release mirrorlist repos. (thinking I had all those RPMs already in my local repo) The 586 core-release repo was still enabled so when I went to install pokerth I only saw the 586 version. In the past I had installed pokerth by downloading it from their website (http://www.pokerth.net/download.html) which only has binaries for 32 bit. After I uninstalled the 586 version, reenabled the mirrorlist repos and installed the x86_64 version sound works correctly.

So everyone install pokerth and practice against the computer. When you are ready, register for ranking internet games at http://www.poker-heroes.com/register.html. There is no money involved, just lots fun frustration at your bad decision making and/or luck. And remember, I never bluff so please don't call me...
dbg

Return to Sound