sound recorder doesn't work

sound recorder doesn't work

Postby tux76 » Aug 3rd, '12, 09:08

sound recorder cannot record. Option-field "record as" is empty. No choices are possible. Version: mageia2, WMs GNOME, LXDE and KDE.
tux76

Re: sound recorder doesn't work

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 5th, '12, 16:56

It can record, you just can't select the output format.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby tux76 » Aug 6th, '12, 07:28

Which additional packages do I need in mageia2 to make (other) formats selectable in gnome-sound-recorder?
tux76

Postby vilas2006in » Jul 21st, '13, 13:28

Sound Recorder a simple and usefull Gnome package is not working for most of MAGEIA 2 or 3 LINUX users.
Let us make this workable.

Firstly go to MCC Select Hardware >>> Sound>>> reconfigure your sound card correctly and do not seclect ¨Enable Pulseaudio¨. Close MCC and Reboot. After restart KDE, right click Kmix icon on Task bar select your sound card and Audio Setup – Channels – unmute all channels, These are mutted by Pulseaudio as Default a nasty beheviour of PulseAudio. Further in this Audio Setup, select your ´Catpure’source as Line -In or other as you whish and set Audio out Speaker setup as 5.1 Analog Stereo out and for audio input as ¨Built in Audio Analog Stereo¨. After this in Sound Recorder Record from Input menu becoms active.

Secondly once again open MCC and install package avilable in Gnome Category “libgnome-media-profile¨ before this make sure that mp3 ecoder i.e media codecs are installed from Tainted source. Now Record As Menu in Sound Recorder becomes active. Play sound click red button to start recording. You are done.
Your Sound Recorder begins it duty perfectly. Only spoil shot was PulseAudio installed in Mageia by default. Mageia People should give us choice not to install or disable this nasty stuff PA.
vilas2006in

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 21st, '13, 18:34

vilas2006in wrote:Only spoil shot was PulseAudio installed in Mageia by default. Mageia People should give us choice not to install or disable this nasty stuff PA.

You recognize that PA is the default for most linux distros since, uhmm, years? Apart from that, it can be easily disabled from within MCC.
Also gnome-sound-recorder works perfectly fine with PA enabled. It has nothing to do with the missing audio codec dropdown menu.

Also i've got PA enabled and can select with input channel to record from, no need to disable PA for that.
Also libgnome-media-profile and installed mp3 encoders being installed won't change the record format dropdown menu on it's own.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vilas2006in » Jul 24th, '13, 20:45

In this forum many users are trying to bring sound in the System. I was also unable to set up sound in Magia 2 & 3, This can be done only after disabling PA and run Alsamixer in Terminal as root. Default sound card in PA for me is ATI HDMI as my display adaptor is ATI. If sound recorder works fine for you, Will you please discribe it step by step?
vilas2006in

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 24th, '13, 21:15

Well, open sound recorder - select input device if necessary - press record.
For pulseaudio, you only need to select the default output device, if the one you're using differs from the default one.
I need to go to KDE systemsettings -> multimedia -> Phonon -> Device preference
and select Internal Analog Audio Stereo instead the Digital HDMI output which is the default - once after Mageia installation.

Disabling Alsa and using alsamixer as root is only a hackish workaround and may cause more
problems longterm that it solves.
----
doktor5000

Return to Sound