[SOLVED] No sound

[SOLVED] No sound

Postby altairz » Nov 17th, '11, 22:58

Hey!

I have installed two fresh mageia instlations on my laptop (mageia 64bit full version, and mageia one).
Both of them had the same problem with sound. There is no sound.

I have had a sound problem on other machines, but then it was only to adjust up the master and PCM in alsamixer.
But with this machine, everything in alsamixer is fine. Have also tried to to turn off pulse audio with no success.

How can I get the sound to work?
altairz

Re: No sound

Postby altairz » Nov 18th, '11, 14:57

It works now, but don't really know why :P
I installed some video and sound codecs yesterday, like gstreamer. And when I started the computer today, it worked.
altairz

Re: [SOLVED] No sound

Postby hoheria » Dec 19th, '11, 18:47

I'll post this in the hope that it save someone else spending hours trying to figure it out low sound volume on their setup when 64 bit version is installed. My problem was very low and slightly distorted sound. I have an Asus M4A88T-m mobo with integrated card ATI Technologies Inc|RS880 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4200] and with which no combination of pulse audio/alsa/ various sound card drivers could I get a decent sound volume. I finally sorted it out with this post:
http://linux.dsplabs.com.au/alsamixer-a ... tings-p29/

which gives you terminal access to the alsamixer - for some reason which I dont understand the master volume will set itself to close to zero - my problem - also shared with Mandriva from which I understand this distro was derived.

in case that link disappears it says
put 'alsamixer' into terminal
adjust as you need
then save config (when logged in an admin
'alsactl store'

Incidentally I seem to need to have pulse audio enabled to get amarok to work.

Otherswise I'd just like to comment that this is a great distro - I've been thru most of the main ones and this offers the most stable wine I can find, and it actually processes big image files from raw to tiff faster than under Win XP and Photoshop CS2 is nice and stable. So bit by bit I'm weaning off windows. ;)
hoheria

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 19th, '11, 18:54

Actually that is the wrong way to do it. Here's how you should have done it:
This is because you didn't select the right main mixer channel, so this gets actively muted. If you use GNOME, do it via gnome-volume-control, under KDE it's available via system settings -> multimedia -> phonon -> Audio Hardware Setup, but only if your sound card supports connectors. Select the appropriate connector which uses the channel which you want to use, and which is muted.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby hoheria » Dec 19th, '11, 19:32

well I use KDE and that option does not seem to exist for my sound card and with Mageia/Mandriva - believe me I'd been through that option many times! I have also installed Mint 11 and 12, ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, pclinux, centos, suse, fedora, porteus, mephis and debian and all without this sound issue - they all failed (sometimes big time) for other reasons and this was a small failing which is now thankfully sorted.
hoheria

Return to Sound