Exploring Mageia's audio production capabilities.

Exploring Mageia's audio production capabilities.

Postby globetrotterdk » Feb 9th, '21, 16:13

I have recently been spending most of my time on Debian and Fedora and have been running into issues with (particularly) Debian's lack of control over repositories. Especially in the area of audio production, things get a bit iffy, as users are forced to use third party repositories, if the user wants to install program packages. In a thread on the Linux Musicians group on Facebook, I was told that this isn't the case with Mageia, being one of the few Linux distributions that have full control over your repositories. That, plus the fact that Mageia 8 has reached release candidate (RC1), has piqued my interest in Mageia again. However, when searching on the net, there are very few references to Mageia and audio production, despite having a SIG for the area. Is it possible to get some (particularly) first hand information about audio production on Mageia? My needs are not huge, and I don't need something like Ubuntu Studio or Fedora Jam, but I do need the basics, such as amsynth, audacity, carla, catia, cadence, guitarix, qsynth, sonic-visualiser, tuxguitar, vkeybd, jack-audio-connection-kit, qjackctl, and preferably a way to get a low latency or real time kernel without having to compile and upgrade manually.

Any responses are appreciated.
Last edited by isadora on Feb 9th, '21, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk

Re: Exploring Mageia's audio production capabilities.

Postby benmc » Feb 11th, '21, 10:23

running Mga7 here and running a dirty search for your requested packages returns:

Code: Select all
amsynth audacity carla catia cadence guitarix qsynth sonic-visualise tuxguitar vkeybd jack-audio-connection-kit qjackctl
No package named guitarix
No package named sonic-visualise
No package named jack-audio-connection-kit

the others appear to be available.

in saying that,
guitarix-lv2
is available, so the others may be available but have different package names.
jackit
The Jack Audio Connection Kit 2​?

you may be able to import the missing packages (with care) from Fedora, so third party repo!

regards the low latency kernel, you should raise a request with a bug report, it will be forwarded to the kernel development team.
benmc

Postby globetrotterdk » Feb 12th, '21, 09:28

Thanks for the reply. First and foremost, trying to avoid third party repositories as there are always problems that crop up with lib conflicts or multiple versions (system and external repository) - i.e. KXstudio for Debian based distributions and GeekOSDAW for GeckoLinux / openSUSE. The whole selling point for using Mageia within the audio production area would be that all packages would be "in house" and not from an external source. Fedora has that to a certain extent with it's Jam Lab , but I find that there are important things missing, such as WineASIO. The same things are missing in Ubuntu Studio, which unfortunately is to be expected as it is the same main developer for both projects - Erich Eickmeyer and https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Eeickmeyer

I will give Mageia 8 RC a try and see how far I get before I start trying to figure out how to file bug reports / package requests ;)
Last edited by doktor5000 on Feb 12th, '21, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote

globetrotterdk

Postby benmc » Feb 12th, '21, 10:21

*No package named sonic-visualiser *

I had a look further for the above.
not ideal, but I did find the above is available as an app-image,

https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/download.html

64-bit Linux AppImage

1. Save the file
2. Make it executable
3. Run it

the selling point for app-images is that they are selfcontained / portable.
Mageia does support app-images - I am lead to understand you do need some spare space to house them ;)
benmc

Postby morgano » Feb 13th, '21, 12:47

Also see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Ways_to_install_programs for more info on Appimage, and also Flatpak and other means to install programs.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby globetrotterdk » Feb 13th, '21, 15:02

morgano wrote:Also see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Ways_to_install_programs for more info on Appimage, and also Flatpak and other means to install programs.

Thanks for that. Here is my list for a Mageia install:
$ sudo dnf install amsynth ardour audacity audio-recorder cadence calf carla carla-vst catarina catia guitarix jack_capture mscore mypaint qjackctl qsynth tuxguitar

Flatpak:
$ flatpak install lmms mellowplayer

A bit surprised that I couldn't get NordVPN to work properly. Seems to be a problem similar to when I tried to get it to run on openSUSE... Simplenote won't install (again, same problem with openSUSE - a lack of some specific packages). Fortunately, there is a Flatpak version...

In general, my impressions of Mageia are good, regarding potential audio production.

globetrotterdk

Return to Sound