I can't make pulseaudio run again

I can't make pulseaudio run again

Postby crez » Jan 15th, '20, 17:56

I am truly new to Linux in general. And I have chosen Mageia 7 as my entry point to the Linux world.
I have only one month studying, practicing and reading about Linux (and Mageia).
However, due to these "practices", it may be possible to touch a file that has made it impossible to handle the Pulseaudio program again.
To the command >>>
pacms -ls
The console in non-root user mode tells me:
"" The PulseAudio daemon is not running, or is not running as a session daemon. ""
For example, the TvTime application that had been working correctly stopped having sound.
On the other hand, however, the KMix program works well and recognizes the 6 sound channels (Intel HDA card). And when you run the Clementine program, it has sound but only through the KMix program, not through the Mageia general volume control.
How can I solve this?
Which command or correction in (maybe) / etc / press
should i run ??
Thanks in advance to those who can help me.

I don't see in the forum any other case in Mageia 7 or others similar to my case.

~topic edited by removing part of text in other than English language; this is an international forum with English as language of communication
Last edited by isadora on Jan 15th, '20, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum.
crez

Re: I can't make pulseaudio run again

Postby crez » Jan 15th, '20, 18:34

Again, best regards to all the members of the Community.
As I explained in my post a few minutes ago, although I have time in handling computers, I have no experience in Linux environment.
I found that if I put the file back

>> daemon.conf <<
as it was, is to say, with all the ""; "" as it originally was, because Pulseaudio's control was immediately restored, as well as the sound on the Tvtime program.

However, I have not been able to understand what this file is there for, in EDITABLE position, if it is not to adapt it to what one believes (perhaps by novice), which is what one requires.

I hope this experience will serve someone else in the future, and provided that of course, it is published in the Forum.

Greetings to all.

I keep learning and studying.

~topic edited by removing part of text in other than English language; this is an international forum with English as language of communication
crez

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 15th, '20, 20:00

Hi there,

from what I understood, the only thing you did was to run "pacmd -ls" which connects to the pulseaudio session daemon.
But it would also have given you the message
pactl: invalid option -- 'l'
as -ls is not a valid command - the proper command to show the current configuration would be
Code: Select all
pacmd ls

In the other post you mention that you put back the original daemon.conf ( probably /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ? ) but you don't mention what happened to it in between, and why you had to "put it back" ?

Maybe next time it would be better to ask in advance what you want to achieve and how to do that?
You also don't mention what you actually wanted to configure/adapt, and what you changed ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby crez » Jan 25th, '20, 14:50

Hi, doktor5000

Thanks for publish my experience.

I'll try to make more data to ask. In FACT I have new ""problems"" or genuine problems with Mageia7, maybe my lack experiences on LINUX in general .
I started with Mageia 7.

I don't know other linux system.

My actual problem is this:

>>>>>
Every time I have tried to install the PulseEffects program, it does not allow Clementine to work properly nor does it allow PulseAudio to work well.
If I have a playback, MP3, in Clementine, then PulseEffects does not show the sound graphics, nor does it allow the Intel HDA sound card to work in 5.1 channel sound mode. In fact, KMIX also stops showing them, despite the fact that on the console when I run the ALSAMIXER program and I press the F6 key and set the 6 sound channels correctly, the system immediately recognizes them but not KMIX, much less PulseEffects.
What I can't understand is that initially when I installed Mageia 7, PulseEffect worked perfectly and the sound through the speakers was very clear and with appreciable and defined bass. In those early days this part of the sound worked perfectly : PulseAudio + PulseEffects + Clementine.

Now, currently, if Clementine works, PulseEffects does not work, and if I turn off the Clementine application within the PulseEffects command box, then nothing is working with respect to PulseEffects.

They excuse the length of trying to explain the problem.
crez

SOUND problems with PULSEEFFECTS

Postby crez » Jan 25th, '20, 14:55

Every time I have tried to install the PulseEffects program, it does not allow Clementine to work properly nor does it allow PulseAudio to work well neither
If I have a playback, MP3, in Clementine for example, then PulseEffects does not show the sound graphics and don't work at all, nor does it allow the Intel HDA sound card to work in 5.1 channel sound mode. In fact, KMIX also stops showing them, despite the fact that on the console when I run the ALSAMIXER program and I press the F6 key and set the 6 sound channels correctly, the system immediately recognizes them but not KMIX, much less PulseEffects.

What I can't understand is that initially when I installed Mageia 7, PulseEffect and all this programs worked perfectly and the sound through the speakers was very clear and with appreciable and defined bass. In those early days this part of the sound worked perfectly: PulseAudio + PulseEffects + Clementine.

Now, currently, if Clementine works, PulseEffects does not work, and if I turn off the Clementine application within the PulseEffects command box, then nothing at all is working with respect to PulseEffects.

I beg my excuse the length of trying to explain the problem.

Can somebody help me with this problem?

PD:
I'm still learning and studying very hard, but is not so easy....
crez

Re: SOUND problems with PULSEEFFECTS

Postby mirej » Jan 25th, '20, 21:43

Hello
Try SMPlayer has a lot of possibilities to configure sound and video.
mirej

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 26th, '20, 00:12

crez wrote:What I can't understand is that initially when I installed Mageia 7, PulseEffect and all this programs worked perfectly and the sound through the speakers was very clear and with appreciable and defined bass. In those early days this part of the sound worked perfectly: PulseAudio + PulseEffects + Clementine.

What did you change since then ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby crez » Jan 29th, '20, 14:13

In truth, all my previous experience (more than 30 years) in Windows environment here, in Linux, practically I'm worth nothing.
I cannot say that I could have changed so that the sound of the three components that I like, work perfectly and synchronously, as at the beginning: PulseAudio + PulseEffects + Clementine.

>>> I'll put it like this then:
Is there any way I can completely uninstall any of the components or all three, if necessary, to reinstall them cleanly? If the answer is positive, will it be possible to tell me, if possible step by step?

I also have problems with automatic updates. They are not installing.
Another thread in another topic?

Thanks in advance.
crez

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 29th, '20, 16:32

FWIW, I've merged both your pulseaudio / pulseeffects threads into one, otherwise this would be too convoluted.

crez wrote:I also have problems with automatic updates. They are not installing.
Another thread in another topic?

Yes, please. The golden rule is: only one problem per thread, thanks in advance.
----
doktor5000

Postby crez » Jan 29th, '20, 17:24

In fact, it is: Complicated.
I forget to mention a 4th program involved: KMix.
Then are 4 programs.
They can work well syncronized ?
I m still syudying as I can.

Thanks.
crez

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 29th, '20, 18:01

Well, it's not that complicated. I can help you reset your pulseaudio system settings and also the per-user settings when I'm back at my Mageia box.

In the meantime, what you can try is to create a new user account, login as that user and check whether pulseaudio and clementine are working as expected.
And please don't use puleeffects or alsamixer for that new user account in the meantime.
----
doktor5000

Postby crez » Feb 1st, '20, 21:55

After creating the new user and without touching anything else, here is what I have detected.

1) The system tries to establish communication with PulseAudio without getting it.

2) The volume control icon from the bottom right, does not show any program or application playing, nor does it find any device, (Plasma Audio).

3) Clementine does not show any sound. I changed the preferences to HDA ​​Intel ALC662 rev1 Analog and did nothing. It does not reproduce any sound although the playback control is seen to work.

4) Then I opened KMix control and verify, without having touched anything, that the 6 audio channels were already there, as it should be. When returning to use Clementine, without having done anything else, this time Clementine did reproduce the sound correctly, that is, with the SubWoffer (LFE). However, the volume control of point 2 still does not show application or device playing.

5) I had omitted to mention, unintentionally, that the sound of the TvTime program also does not work when the problem with Plasma Audio does not work. And this time, as you have kindly suggested, when creating this new user I have not touched anything practically, with the exception of point 3 in Clementine to HDA ​​Intel ALC662 (which was previously automatic).

6) I have noticed that, although in this user I have not touched any other parameters, nor characteristics, it is already clear that the DAEMON.CONF file is kept between different users. And the only thing that if I change (removing the character ";") from that file are these two lines (which I have noticed are the ones that make the bass sound channel or LFE work):

default-sample-channels = 6
default-channel-map = front-left, front-right

I imagine that because of this it is that the KMix program properly shows all the sound channels that I like and I use, type 5.1; although at the cost of not having sound on TvTime.

I think these are the impressions that I may have realized so far.

Thanks again and very grateful, also hoping that, in the future, someone else will learn from these driving details of the Mageia 7 system.
crez

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 2nd, '20, 17:38

From what I understood, you currently don't have any sound at all.

Please show the output as normal user of
LC_ALL=C systemctl --user status pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service
LC_ALL=C pulseaudio --check
LC_ALL=C pactl stat
LC_ALL=C getfacl /dev/snd/*
LC_ALL=C pacmd ls
----
doktor5000

Postby crez » Feb 9th, '20, 15:48

Good morning, my best regards to everyone in the community, especially the good friend, doktor5000.

I extend my apologies for not being able to communicate before today, since I am still interested in achieving a solution to the (apparent) problem that arises when I use Clementine configured to reproduce a 5.1 surround sound vs. when you want to play sounds via YouTube, or TvTime, in which cases no sounds are played back at all; that is, I cannot have both environments functioning correctly at the same time.

Again I wish to clarify in insisting that this may be due to my manipulation with KWrite, of the file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf that, "I discovered" that by changing the lines
; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000

Note that I only delete the symbol ";" from the last two lines of the captured (the file continues with many more lines that I have not edited) and there is the change in positive when I want a good sound in Clementine, but at the expense of not being able to have sounds in other programs, as already indicated above.

I take a picture capture but the colors are not visible as in the console, or in KWrite.

Friend doktor5000 I capture the first of the lines that you have kindly indicated to me:

[crez@localhost ~]$ systemctl --user status pulseaudio.soket pulseaudio.service
Unit pulseaudio.soket.service could not be found.
● pulseaudio.service - Sound Service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-02-09 08:43:17 -04; 57min ago
  Process: 5193 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 5193 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

feb 09 08:43:17 localhost systemd[4912]: pulseaudio.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
feb 09 08:43:17 localhost systemd[4912]: pulseaudio.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
feb 09 08:43:17 localhost systemd[4912]: Stopped Sound Service.
feb 09 08:43:17 localhost systemd[4912]: pulseaudio.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
feb 09 08:43:17 localhost systemd[4912]: pulseaudio.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
feb 09 08:43:17 localhost systemd[4912]: Failed to start Sound Service.
[crez@localhost ~]$

At this moment when I capture this from console, was the modified daemon.conf file on those two lines .
Second line:

[crez@localhost ~]$ pulseaudio --check
E: [pulseaudio] daemon-conf.c: El mapa de canal predeterminado especificado tiene un número de canales distinto al especificado como predeterminado.
[crez@localhost ~]$

=====>>>> The specified default channel map has a different number of channels than the one specified as the default.

Third line:

[crez@localhost ~]$ pactl stat
Error en la conexión: Conexión negada
[crez@localhost ~]$

=======>>> connection denied

Fourth line: too long.........>>>>>>>>>

[crez@localhost ~]$ getfacl /dev/snd/*
getfacl: Eliminando '/' inicial en nombres de ruta absolutos
# file: dev/snd/by-path
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

# file: dev/snd/controlC0
# group: audio
user::rw-
user:crez:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

# file: dev/snd/controlC1

# file: dev/snd/controlC2

# file: dev/snd/hwC1D0

# file: dev/snd/hwC2D0

# file: dev/snd/pcmC0D0c

# file: dev/snd/pcmC1D0c

# file: dev/snd/pcmC1D0p

# file: dev/snd/pcmC1D2c

# file: dev/snd/pcmC2D3p

# file: dev/snd/seq

# file: dev/snd/timer

[crez@localhost ~]$

and the last line indiated: 5th

[crez@localhost ~]$ pacmd ls
El demonio PulseAudio no está ejecutándose, o no se está ejecutando como un demonio de sesión.
[crez@localhost ~]$

==========>>>>>> The PulseAudio daemon is not running, or is not running as a session daemon.

/////////////// .......... //////////////////

Well, this is it.
I hope this descriptions help later, not just me and my machine.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Feb 9th, '20, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
crez

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 9th, '20, 16:17

As a hint, if you would have prefixed the commands by LC_ALL=C as suggested, there would be no need to translate the output, it would show it in english directly.

crez wrote:Again I wish to clarify in insisting that this may be due to my manipulation with KWrite, of the file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf that, "I discovered" that by changing the lines
; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000

Note that I only delete the symbol ";" from the last two lines of the captured (the file continues with many more lines that I have not edited) and there is the change in positive when I want a good sound in Clementine, but at the expense of not being able to have sounds in other programs, as already indicated above.

[...]

[crez@localhost ~]$ pulseaudio --check
E: [pulseaudio] daemon-conf.c: El mapa de canal predeterminado especificado tiene un número de canales distinto al especificado como predeterminado.
[crez@localhost ~]$

=====>>>> The specified default channel map has a different number of channels than the one specified as the default.

You changed the systemwide pulseaudio configuration /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, as you mentioned above. But this is not necessary, you can reconfigure most settings for your user, and not for the systemwide configuration.

Now pulseaudio is not even starting at all anymore. I suggest to revert your changes to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and then reboot, and check again if systemctl --user status pulseaudio.service does not return any errors.

On a related note, in one of the commands you had a typo, although this doesn't really matter for now.

[crez@localhost ~]$ systemctl --user status pulseaudio.soket pulseaudio.service
Unit pulseaudio.soket.service could not be found.

It's pulseaudio.socket not pulseaudio.soket
----
doktor5000

Postby crez » Feb 12th, '20, 18:27

Good morning, and my best regards again:

Thanks to friend doktor5000 again.

I will be as short as possible.

To go with the thread of what I referred to last time, I will say that the sound problems that you are facing, were solved in large part (not in its entirety), because I think, to the accumulation of automatic updates that occurred in the system since the date of my last report.

I must ask for excuses, to doktor5000, for my apparent lack of care in the typing of his instructions, I really did not realize, mostly drunk that the key of the letter "C" on my keyboard sometimes does not work properly ( I hope to correct that problem, alien to this thread).

Certainly, after these updates they work quite well and at the same time: Clementine, internet level for example YouTube, TvTime and system sounds. The only thing is that the KMIx program fails to show the controls (or touching the Preferences), sliders of the different 5.1 sound channels. That is, front and rear speakers and the LFE separately.
However, the sound in Clementine is quite acceptable.
Of course, I restored to its normal condition, the file etc / pulse / daemon.conf as it was originally. Do not forget, as I did this several times, BEFORE the updates:
>>> kernel: 5.4.17 desktop-1.mga7
>>> KDE Plasma: 5.14.4
among other files updated automatically.

Until now, despite these restitutions to daemon.conf this had not worked.

I capture the console screen of the first instruction:
=> LC_ALL = C systemctl --user status pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service
and the console threw this information:

********** /////// **********
[crez@localhost ~]$ LC_ALL=C systemctl --user status pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service
* pulseaudio.socket - Sound System
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-02-12 03:00:34 -04; 9h ago
   Listen: /run/user/1000/pulse/native (Stream)
   CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/pulseaudio.socket

Feb 12 03:00:34 localhost systemd[13319]: Listening on Sound System.
Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavail>

* pulseaudio.service - Sound Service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-02-12 11:10:47 -04; 58min ago
 Main PID: 21802 (pulseaudio)
   CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/pulseaudio.service
           |-21802 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no
           `-21881 /usr/libexec/pulse/gsettings-helper

Feb 12 11:10:33 localhost systemd[13319]: Starting Sound Service...
Feb 12 11:10:44 localhost pulseaudio[21802]: W: [pulseaudio] module.c: module-combine is depr>
Feb 12 11:10:44 localhost pulseaudio[21802]: W: [pulseaudio] module-combine.c: We will now lo>
Feb 12 11:10:47 localhost systemd[13319]: Started Sound Service.
lines 1-21/21 (END)...skipping...
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavailable.

Feb 12 11:10:44 localhost pulseaudio[21802]: W: [pulseaudio] module.c: module-combine is deprecated: Please use module-combine-sink instead of module-comb>
Feb 12 11:10:44 localhost pulseaudio[21802]: W: [pulseaudio] module-combine.c: We will now load module-combine-sink. Please make sure to remove module-com>
~
~
~
~
~

Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started. Log output is incomplete or unavail>

Feb 12 11:10:44 localhost pulseaudio[21802]: W: [pulseaudio] module.c: module-combine is depr>
Feb 12 11:10:44 localhost pulseaudio[21802]: W: [pulseaudio] module-combine.c: We will now lo>
~
~
lines 1-21/21 (END)

******** ////// ***********
FINALLY:
If no one has inconvenience / doubts / other observations / suggestions; On my part I conclude this thread, since most of the inconveniences with the sounds of the system now work acceptably due, I think, to the automatic updates made by the system and which, in some way influenced the solution of the original problem .

Thanks to Mr. doktor5000

Greetings to the community.
Last edited by isadora on Feb 12th, '20, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
crez

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 13th, '20, 19:09

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
----
doktor5000

Return to Sound