Mageia 6 Sound works but no event sounds

Mageia 6 Sound works but no event sounds

Postby Micromet » Aug 6th, '18, 14:58

My sound works fine (Clementine, VLC, Audacity, tuxguitar etc) - but I don't have any event sounds (Booting, Email arrival, that sort of thing). This is probably because somewhere in MCC or System Settings it hasn't been turned on - but where do I look?
Micromet

Re: Mageia 6 Sound works but no event sounds

Postby martinw » Aug 12th, '18, 22:38

It's normally under system settings, but the exact details depend on which desktop environment you are using. For Cinnamon, it's in System Settings->Sound->Sound Effects. I can't help you for other DEs, but browse through the system settings and you should find something.
martinw

Postby jkerr82508 » Aug 13th, '18, 01:08

In plasma it's System Settings - Personalisation - Notifications

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby Micromet » Aug 13th, '18, 12:43

Thanks Jim for the Plasma info - this is the DE I'm using. Notifications contains 10 Event sources (Accessibility, Akregator, Archive Mail agent, Bluetooth System, Firefox, Followup reminder Agent, Instant Messaging, k3b, KDE Free Space Notifier Daemon and KDE e-mail client) - none of which contains anything that relates to event sounds being turned on or off. Perhaps it's described in some obscure way?
Micromet

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 13th, '18, 14:07

Is this issue with a fresh installation with a fresh /home, or is this some upgrade and/or was /home maybe restored from a backup?

Does the same issue persist with a freshly created user?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Aug 13th, '18, 14:39

This is with an official online upgrade from Mageia 5.1 to Mageia 6 onto a separate SSD drive containing the distro. Home is on another Hard drive and was not touched during the upgrade - although no doubt certain configuration files were altered in line with the upgrade. I haven't tried the new user approach yet - didn't really want to conplicate my setup with a new user with another home directory etc if there was a simpler explanation. My original request for help was prompted because the "jingle" tune that Mageia 5.1 put out when boot loading had finished just wasn't there in my installation of Mageia 6. It's not a problem except if it indicates something else is wrong. I had turned off the QUIET option in my boot loading script as that seemed the obvious place to start - but still no boot "jingle".
Micromet

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 13th, '18, 14:49

Micromet wrote:I had turned off the QUIET option in my boot loading script as that seemed the obvious place to start - but still no boot "jingle".

quiet in the kernel boot options refers to text output during boot, there's no relation to sound at all.

Please try with a new user, just create one and login to see if the issue persists or not.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Aug 13th, '18, 17:33

quiet in the kernel boot options refers to text output during boot, there's no relation to sound at all.

Yes - quite right - forgot that. I deleted the "QUIET" option so that I could investigate why booting took so long - turned out to be multiple AMD-Vi IO PAGE FAULT listings - solved by putting iommu=soft into menu.lst

Please try with a new user, just create one and login to see if the issue persists or not.

Did that and rebooted into new user - still no boot "jingle". I don't want to waste people's time - as it's not that important - I just got sidetracked into trying to find out why it didn't work.
Micromet

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 13th, '18, 17:45

Totally forgot this errata entry: You may want to check https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_6_Err ... ifications
See also the similar thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11926
----
doktor5000

Postby Micromet » Aug 13th, '18, 18:29

Had a look at both those threads. I already had phonon4qt5-gstreamer and phonon4qt5-vlc installed. Looking at MultiMedia>Audio and Video> Audio Playback>Notifications - I have 2 devices - the built in Audio Analogue Stereo (Motherboard sound) and a PCI Audio device (separate Audio Board) - seems like this may be the problem. Tested the motherboard Audio - gave me the expected book "jingle" - nothing from the PCI board. Possibly the notifications were going to the PCI board which, at present, has no connections to speakers. Will need to reboot to see what happens - will post again after reboot.
Micromet

Postby Micromet » Aug 13th, '18, 18:48

After Reboot - still no boot "jingle". Made certain that the motherboard audio was "preferred" in the Phonon Audio and Video section Notifications listing. Even set all the other Applications to use the device list as set up in notifications and tested applications such as VLC, Clementine, Audacity - these all worked fine. Reset Phonon Audio and Video to Defaults - and rebooted - still everything worked except for boot "jingle" and other notifications - such as "Device Notifier" which, for example, usually gave a "ping" to say a USB stick had been inserted in Mageia 5.
Micromet

Postby aboutblank » Feb 27th, '20, 03:47

Micromet in August 2018 wrote:
I don't want to waste people's time - as it's not that important

Unlike Micromet, to me it's important. I've been using event sounds for years, and rely on them as audible signals that "all is well" with what I'm doing. It's a bit disappointing to me that two and a half years later, system event sounds is still a problem for Mageia, even if (as I suspect) it's "not their fault"! (I suspect it's the fault of the Xfce Desktop Environment.)

I've spent about two hours plus or minus trying to get event sounds to work, mostly reading forum posts like this one, and others. I've tried quite a few of the "obvious" suggestions, such as changing the volume in Volume Control - Playback - System Sounds from the default zero to 100%; checking in the Settings Editor - xsettings - Net - SoundThemeName to see if there's one there ("default"); trying to install "Borealis" sound theme (not in repositories in RpmDrake Software Manager); and checking that both boxes in some Settings window for using System Sounds are checked (the name escapes me at the moment, it might be Windows Manger Tweaks, or Windows Manager, neither of which will open now that I've installed and activated Compiz!).

It's a shame that such a nice distro as Mageia is hampered by this flaw. If I'm overlooking the obvious, I'd appreciate any guidance. I'm trying to avoid editing configuration files, if at all possible. (I'm really surprised that neither the Settings Manager nor the Mageia Control Center has a gui applet that allows configuration of individual system event sounds.)

Thanks for any help!

aboutblank
February 26, 2020
aboutblank

Postby aboutblank » Feb 27th, '20, 07:18

On February 26 2020 I wrote:

It's a bit disappointing to me that two and a half years later, system event sounds is still a problem for Mageia...

I made an error in my earlier post: I did the math, it's about one and a half years later.... :(

aboutblank
February 27, 2020
aboutblank

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 27th, '20, 18:10

aboutblank wrote:It's a bit disappointing to me that two and a half years later, system event sounds is still a problem for Mageia, even if (as I suspect) it's "not their fault"! (I suspect it's the fault of the Xfce Desktop Environment.)

The OP reported this issue for Plasma. So far this is the only report I've seen so far for plasma for this topic.

You're reporting this for XFCE. This is a totally different topic, please create a separate thread for this. BTW, this is also the only occurence of such an issue so far for XFCE.
----
doktor5000

Postby aboutblank » Feb 28th, '20, 04:26

Thanks for the response, and the advice. I was aware that the original post was not about Xfce, but thought this post was a logical place to chime in, even though not about Plasma - though still about 'Mageia'. There are plenty of 'hits' if one Google's about sound problems with Xfce (though none, if I recall, concerning Mageia). That's why I remarked that it "is still a problem for Mageia, even if (as I suspect) it's "not their fault"! (I suspect it's the fault of the Xfce Desktop Environment.)"

I don't know the procedure for informing those responsible for putting together the Xfce version of Mageia, but have high hopes that someone will notice this report, and perhaps try to test it to see if the 'problem' (as I see it) lies with Mageia, Xfce, or elsewhere. Assuming they can duplicate it, and I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Thanks again!

aboutblank
February 27, 2020
Last edited by doktor5000 on Feb 28th, '20, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
aboutblank

Postby benmc » Feb 29th, '20, 09:42

if this issue is with Mga6, it is unlikely to be addressed as Mga6 is now EOL.
I would recommend an upgrade to Mga7.

If the issue is evident in Mga7, please create a bug report.
have a look here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
benmc

Postby aboutblank » Mar 2nd, '20, 00:48

Thank you for the advice, I'll report it, as it's for Mageia 7.1 Xfce 64 bit.

aboutblank
March 1, 2020
Last edited by doktor5000 on Mar 2nd, '20, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
aboutblank

Postby aboutblank » Mar 2nd, '20, 02:08

If the issue is evident in Mga7, please create a bug report.
have a look here: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly

Hmmm, ran into a glitch. The link requires me to log-in to post (I assume), and I my user-id/password is not recognized for some reason. (I believe it should be, but spam posted to the Wiki appears to have led to a decision to ban new posts, without prior permission, if I read it correctly. I posted the problem at https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13159&p=78156#p78156, but am not sure if that's the proper place.)

Wait - Wait - Wait! I clicked on a link (https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Mageia&format=guided) that has asked me to log-in, and I logged in successfully! It looks like I can indeed submit a bug report, as I'm seeing this page, after logging-in: https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi

So it looks like I'm good to go!

Thanks again for the help.

aboutblank
March 1, 2020
aboutblank

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 2nd, '20, 21:21

So this is probably your bugreport? https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26281
Please always post a link back, to allow others that might have a similar or the same issue to follow up.
----
doktor5000

Return to Sound