[SOLVED] No Sound from Speakers for Compaq CQ20-326TU

[SOLVED] No Sound from Speakers for Compaq CQ20-326TU

Postby rhyne » Oct 1st, '11, 01:17

Hi,

I'm also new to Linux so please bear with me. Out of the box, I am able to play sounds using the headphone jack but can't play sounds from the speakers.

I tried modifying modprobe.conf and added the following:

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop --> didn't work. still only play sounds via headphones
(tried model and other possible values for AD1984A too)

options snd-hda-intel single_cmd=1 --> sound came from both the speakers and the headphone at the same time which is still bad. I only want to enable one.

I have attached the output from running these commands from the terminal:

lspci

and

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec*

I don't really mind if I need to manually set my output to speakers or headset if I have to, as long as I could enable them one at a time.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
lspci.txt
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
codec.txt
(12.66 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
rhyne

Re: No Sound from Speakers for Compaq CQ20-326TU

Postby rhyne » Oct 2nd, '11, 06:30

I couldn't find the edit button. Sorry for the double post.

After testing around with alsamixer and my laptop buttons, having single_cmd=1 isn't as bad as it looks despite having a warning that it is only for debugging purposes. The mute button in the laptop only mutes the speakers and not the headphones. When setting alsamixer, it also does not have a headphone switch unlike the dock microphone so maybe my sound device does not support automuting?

You may treat this as solved. Thanks.

p.s. I like using your distro. The Gnome GUI is intuitive despite me being new to Linux as I had always been a Windows user.
rhyne

Return to Sound