No sound from Firefox/Internet

No sound from Firefox/Internet

Postby superclerk637 » Mar 19th, '16, 16:07

An introduction: After a long time, my e-mail and wireless eventually quit working in Mandriva 2010.2 (I've been with Mandriva since Mandrake 8.0). I re-formatted the partitions used by 2010.2 and installed Mageia 5 64-bit last night. This is a home machine with only one user (Mike). Installing security updates and Thunderbird (for the regular user) was pretty smooth as far as linux goes (though using LILO-text mode as my bootloader caused endless reboot loops; they went away when I switched to GRUB).

Playing audio CDs with KSCD is fine. System sounds (KDE startup and shutdown) are heard (MIDI instruments may be wildly incorrect, but sounds will sometimes play). But sounds from the Net are not heard. (No, I have not tried Opera or other browsers yet).

My equipment is good quality and gently used:

Gigabyte 970A-UD3 motherboard, AMD Athlon 8150 8-core CPU, 16 GB Ram, NO overclocking
Gigabyte 6770 PCI-E passive-cooled video card (GIANT heatsink/fins)
Audigy2 ZS Gamer sound card (not used by Windows, IIRC)
Seasonic M12-II Bronze Evo Edition PSU (520W IIRC)

I think it's a 3 TB SATA drive. It's dual-booting Mageia 5 and Win 7 Professional (both 64-bit).

Here is the first command often asked for. I did not type the ASCII line-characters near PID 1895 and 1917:

Code: Select all
[mike@Mikes-8-core-Athlon ~]$ systemctl –user status pulseaudio.socket pulseaudio.service -1
* pulseaudio.socket – Sound System
  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket; static)
  Active: active (running) since Sat-2016-03-19 04:53:11 EDT; 1h 55min ago
  Listen: /run/user/1000/pulse/nave (Stream)

Mar 19 04:53:11 Mikes-8-core-Athlon systemd[1853]: Starting Sound System.
Mar 19 04:53:11 Mikes-8-core-Athlon systemd[1853]: Listening in on Sound System.
Warning: Journal has been rotated since unit was started.  Log output in incomplete or unavailable.

* pulseaudio.service – Sound Service
  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service; disabled)
  Active: active (running) since Sat 2016-03-19 04:53:25 EDT; 1h 55min ago
 Main PID: 1895 (pulseaudio)
   Cgroup: /user/slice/user-2000.slice/user@1000.service/pulseaudio.service
         1895 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
         1917 /usr/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper

Mar 19 04:53:25 Mikes-8-core-Athlon systemd[1583]: Started Sound Service.
Mar 19 04:53:26 Mikes-8-core-Athlon pulseaudio[1895]: W: [pulseaudio] server-lookup.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.NotSupported: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

Here is the output of the second command often asked for:

LC_ALL=C PULSE_LOG=99 pulseaudio –check
D: [pulseaudio caps.c: Cleaning up privileges.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon running as PID 1895

Here is another frequently-requested command:

LC_ALL=C PULSE_LOG=00 pactl stat

Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0 KiB each, total size is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65472
Trying to connect to {44c9c2db43f94066bd13ff2e07a74bd0}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native…
SHM possible: yes
Protocol version: remote 29, local 29
Negotiated SHM: yes
Currently in use: 1 blocks containing 63.9 KiB bytes total.
Allocated during whole lifetime: 3391 blocks containing 34.0 MiB bytes total.
Sample cache size: 0 B
Server String: unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 29
Server Protocol Version: 29
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 26
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: mike
Host Name: Mikes-8-core-Athlon

Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 5.0.0.6-mga5
Default Sample Specification: s161e 2ch 44100 Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_input.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo
Cookie: 09fe:4711

The output of "pactl list cards" is far too long to hand-type, though I can use pastebin if needed. Basically, the output of this command names three sound cards - Card #0 is the ATI "Juniper" HDMI audio unit on the Radeon 6770. Card #1 is SBx00 "Azalia (Intel HDA)" which appears to be the sound chip on the motherboard. Card #2 is the SB Audigy 2 ZS.

The output of "getfacl /dev/snd/*" is likewise pretty long.

When I first started having problems, I removed my speakers from the IOGEAR KVM and plugged them directly into the motherboard sound output. I no longer have 2 computers at my desk - removing the KVM removes a possible point of failure. If I plug the speakers into "front speakers" plug on the Audigy 2 ZS, audio CDs are not heard. Clearly the motherboard audio's front speaker plug (with the "pale green" plastic around the plug) is where I should focus my efforts.

Are there any more commands I should run?

Does anyone know what might be going on? Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!
superclerk637

Re: No sound from Firefox/Internet

Postby superclerk637 » Mar 19th, '16, 17:30

EDIT: I meant to say "immediately after installation, I noticed the 'no sound' problem, so I unplugged my speakers from the IOGEAR KVM". In my post, I says "when I first started having problems". That suggests it was working and then stopped working. That is not true. Sound from the net never worked, and this is a new install.
superclerk637

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 20th, '16, 10:01

This may sound like a dumb question, but what does "sound from the net" mean in particular?
Are you talking about flash videos or other videos (html5 or ... ) when watched with firefox? It would be appreciated if you could post a sample link that doesn't give sound.

Also please provide the output of
rpm -qa|sort|grep gstreamer
urpmq --list-media active --list-url
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby superclerk637 » Apr 17th, '16, 04:46

Terribly sorry for the late reply. Youtube videos had no sound before I logged in or afterwards (YT defaults to flash, but when I logged in, YT switched to HTML 5 because I set my preferences to HTML5). Video clips from MSN, Yahoo, etc. also had no sound.

A fresh installation seems to have fixed everything.

Thanks!
superclerk637

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 17th, '16, 15:05

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [DONE], thanks
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Sound