[SOLVED] Problems activating mike for Facebook and Google

[SOLVED] Problems activating mike for Facebook and Google

Postby ghmitch » Dec 1st, '15, 16:13

I am unable to activate either USB or analog microphone when using either Facebook Messenger or Google Hangouts. Everything else works just fine. Inbound audio and video in both directions work flawlessly. Microphone works fine for Skype but not for Hangouts or Messenger. Anyone else been through this around here?
ghmitch

Re: [SOLVED] Problems activating mike for Facebook and Googl

Postby ghmitch » Dec 3rd, '15, 03:06

I finally happened upon the solution to this mystery. Pulse Audio has a volume control application with five tabs. Two for record, two for playback, and one for applications. I have always been using the playback and record tabs. I really did not understand that application tab. But the application tab is key to getting all audio applications to work correctly. The record settings in PA are meaningless when applications are involved. PA is set up so each application has its own unique settings. So for video calling on Chrome, whether Facebook Messenger or Google Hangouts, you need to first make sure you have the PA volume control app up on the applications tab which will be blank. Then bring up Chrome and start your video call. When you start the video call, "Chrome" will immediately appear on the PA volume control application tab, and THAT is where you set your record levels. Default for Chrome is always mute, almost certainly for security reasons. Unmute record and magic will happen. After all these years I am still learning how PA works. I almost had udev figured out when systemd came along and now I am back to square one again. Our Linux devs just don't have any mercy on us old guys. LOL Always something new and improved and totally confusing.
ghmitch

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 3rd, '15, 12:47

Depending what mixer your desktop environment uses, it may also expose that functionality. E.g. kmix exposes all currently playing streams, and one can easily adjust volume level also for recording.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ghmitch » Dec 4th, '15, 22:25

Yes! Kmix is doing exactly that. But it was not working that way in Mageia 3 because I struggled with this same problem in Mageia 3 and recently upgraded to Mageia 5. Pulse Audio volume control was probably the only way to deal with it in Mageia 3, because I remember it had the Application tab back then. But I was trying to use kmix back then and it was not showing separate sliders for applications.
ghmitch

Return to Sound