n00b needs sound help [SOLVED]

n00b needs sound help [SOLVED]

Postby zaivala » Jul 11th, '15, 21:42

OK, I haven't used anything like Mageia since Mandrake 9. I haven't found any distro yet that works better than Puppy, and that does not install well (runs off disk nicely though). So I'm still trying to find that Magic Distro In the Sky and still haven't stuck with one long enough to know what I'm doing.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 518 00
2.40 GHz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
4 Gb RAM 266MHz bus speed
Hitachi 500 Gb HD
Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-72008
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
SB Audigy

The sound works fine at bootup (Mageia sounds). I cannot get my computer to play my music, and Skype has no sound (is that a separate issue?).
Last edited by zaivala on Jul 19th, '15, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
zaivala

Re: n00b needs sound help

Postby benmc » Jul 12th, '15, 01:48

Hello zaivala,

you probably need to add the audio and video codecs.
you will need to enable the "tainted" repos so that you can then download them.
after installing and enabling the Tainted repos, Mageia Welcome has an "Applications" tab, you can install the audio [+ video codecs] from there.

Skype sound is likely a separate issue.

regards

Benmc
benmc

Postby zaivala » Jul 12th, '15, 03:10

I already have the repos enabled... but don't know what codecs to download. The Audio Setup tab doesn't help. I don't know whether to have PulseAudio enabled or not... I did go ahead and download and install some KDE sound codecs from the Tainted library, but it didn't help. (I didn't reboot, but I logged out, which is all it said I needed to do to enable them.)
zaivala

Postby benmc » Jul 12th, '15, 04:39

the required codecs can be downloaded using Mageia Welcome, see the applications tab.

otherwise in "install / remove software" you need to search for and enable "task-codec-audio".
benmc

Postby zaivala » Jul 12th, '15, 05:12

benmc wrote:the required codecs can be downloaded using Mageia Welcome, see the applications tab.

otherwise in "install / remove software" you need to search for and enable "task-codec-audio".

No help there. I did the latter, and got 3 apps, all installed.
zaivala

Postby benmc » Jul 12th, '15, 05:18

which desktop are you using?
benmc

Postby zaivala » Jul 12th, '15, 06:55

I was using KDE. I just gave up and reinstalled using MATE. I'll put this on hold while I discover whether I have the same problems or not. Thanks for your attention.
zaivala

Postby zaivala » Jul 12th, '15, 07:41

OK, I'm up and running... and now do not even get the system sounds. Do I need to disable PulseAudio? Open to ideas.

Edited to add: OK, now I have sound for my music and for Skype. So far, not for Kodi (someone has already stated that MIGHT be a separate issue, and I'll work on it). I do not hear any system sounds on bootup (maybe MATE doesn't have those???) but I accidentally rolled my mouse over one of my songs while moving files around my various drives and got to listen to it, followed by my testing Skype (oddly, the microphone on my headphones works, but the ears do not, plugged into the same jack as my speakers were).

Thanks for your attention.
zaivala

Postby ChuangTzu » Jul 14th, '15, 22:22

Hi Zaivala,

zaivala wrote:I do not hear any system sounds on bootup (maybe MATE doesn't have those???)

I do not recall MATE having system sounds. I believe only KDE and Gnome have them.
ChuangTzu

Return to Sound