Downgrading wifi driver

Downgrading wifi driver

Postby nikos » Apr 28th, '15, 19:55

Hallo, to cut a long story short, sometime ago, updating my wifi driver has introduced a bug.
(the long story bug 11479.

Newer upgrades haven't fixed the problem.
This seems to be a driver issue.
I don't know how Broadcom goes about their drivers, but they don't seem to care much, whether they work properly, or not.
Anyway...

I think that downgrading to an earlier version of the free driver should work.
But I have no clue how.

For starters... which rpm of Mageia _3_ has the free driver for BCM4313 broadcom wifi card?
nikos

Re: Downgrading wifi driver

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 28th, '15, 21:28

I believe you cannot easily downgrade drivers, as those are dependent on a specific kernel version and underlying structures. The driver in question comes as a kernel module I believe.

For starters and to get a current status quo, please provide the following information.
Which desktop environment are you using? Do you use net_applet or NetworkManager?
And please provide the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all
lspcidrake -v | grep -i -e net -e wireless -e wifi
ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -ie net -e wpa

and, as root:
ifconfig -a
rfkill list all
systemctl status network.service -a
journalctl -ab | grep -iE "fw|firmware|iwl|wifi|wire|80211"

Also from the linked bug report seems you did not follow up on the advice from Sander: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11479#c14
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby nikos » Apr 30th, '15, 19:24

doktor5000 wrote:Also from the linked bug report seems you did not follow up on the advice from Sander: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11479#c14

I did tried it later on. It didn't seem to have any affect other than changing between the free and Broadcom's driver. But that I had done it with Mageia's tools, also (running the Live iso --> setting repositories --> using drakrpm).
Note that this advice was about the Live version, which was not my main concern. Just for testing.

And I did a lot of testing. I even used other linux distributions. And I read stuff here and there. So my conclusion is that this is a driver issue.
No need to go through all that again...

Which brings us to...
doktor5000 wrote:For starters and to get a current status quo, please provide the following information.
Which desktop environment are you using? Do you use net_applet or NetworkManager?
And please provide the output of the following commands:

lspcidrake -v | grep -i -e net -e wireless -e wifi
ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -ie net -e wpa

and, as root:
ifconfig -a
rfkill list all
systemctl status network.service -a
journalctl -ab | grep -iE "fw|firmware|iwl|wifi|wire|80211"

Combined with...
doktor5000 wrote:I believe you cannot easily downgrade drivers, as those are dependent on a specific kernel version and underlying structures. The driver in question comes as a kernel module I believe.

As I feared, this is beyond my capabilities, since the solution is going to include words like "compile".
But still, thank you doktor5000 for clearing that up.
nikos

Postby doktor5000 » May 1st, '15, 00:45

If you don't provide detailed current status information, nobody is able to determine that. And it's not said that you need to compile something at all.
So nothing has been cleared up so far.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Networking