SOLVED - headscratcher with ssh tunnel

SOLVED - headscratcher with ssh tunnel

Postby jiml8 » Apr 22nd, '15, 19:13

Scenario: Computer A is a workstation running Mageia 4. Computer B is a laptop running OpenSUSE 13.2.

Computer A has sshd running and port 22 is exposed through a router to the internet (the WAN). Of course, sshd is also exposed through the LAN.

Computer A is also running x11vnc without a password, watching port 5900. Port 5900 is firewalled off on the workstation and on the router; it is only available locally.

Computer B has a wireless connection to the same LAN that A is on. B can make a normal ssh connection (for a terminal session) with A using A's LAN address. B can also make a normal ssh connection with A from the LAN or from remote locations, using the WAN address. X forwarding is enabled and is working.

Thus, connectivity with ssh seems to be working correctly.

B then attempts to establish an ssh tunnel to A. When B accesses A using A's LAN IP, the tunnel works.

Syntax: ssh -f -l jiml 192.168.0.2 -L 5900:192.168.0.2:5900 -N

Doing it this way results in a vnc session forwarded to computer B enabling remote control of computer A.

When B accesses A using the WAN address, the ssh tunnel connection is made and both B and A agree this has happened. However, x11vnc on A never sees a connection from the client (krdc) on B and no data is passed.

Syntax: ssh -f -l jiml WAN.IP.addr -L 5900:WAN.IP.addr:5900 -N

I am baffled by this. I reiterate; B can access A for an ssh terminal session from anywhere. Via the LAN, a tunnel session works fine. Via the WAN, the tunnel is apparently established, but no data passes. How can this be? Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by jiml8 on Apr 22nd, '15, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
jiml8

Re: headscratcher with ssh tunnel

Postby jiml8 » Apr 22nd, '15, 19:23

...and, as so often happens, after beating my head against the wall and finally asking the question, I found the answer right after I posted the question. It was in front of me the whole time.

The answer is that I have to use the internal IP for the forwarding host.

syntax: ssh -f -l jiml WAN.IP.addr -L 5900:192.168.0.2:5900 -N

And this works fine.
jiml8

Return to Networking