[SOLVED] Connecting to ssh server

[SOLVED] Connecting to ssh server

Postby xboxboy » Apr 19th, '15, 14:46

I've installed sshelper on my smartphone, that installs a heap of servers etc... I should then be able to connect to it using sftp and dolphin.

But, it doesn't, dolphin then gives a fault:

Code: Select all
kex error : did not find one of algos diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 in list curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1 for kex algos

I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Pointers most appreciated.

I have server address which fit's my network fine, but the ssh server port is shown as 2222 and I can't change it, it seems.

** Update, I can ssh via CLI if I set the port to 2222, so it's definately the port that's the issue using dolphin
Last edited by xboxboy on May 10th, '15, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
xboxboy

Re: Connecting to ssh server

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 19th, '15, 15:22

How do you connect to it in dolphin?
By entering sftp://IP in the adress bar, or by adding a new network connection via the network place? The latter allows for specifying a port.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Apr 20th, '15, 13:36

I've tried both.

The address bar obviously doesnt' work.

I've tried by double clicking network from the places panel, I then try the add new network icon, which brings up the network folder wizard: I fill that out as I expect, but it doesn't work, neither fish or sftp connect. Interestingly when I attempt using fish it asks for a passward, but sftp doesn't.

I'm also unsure what directory I should be putting in the directory box, as the ssh server has it's own page: See http://arachnoid.com/android/SSHelper/

I've tried to make the config file as mentioned on the sshelper website page, but it doesn't work for me from the CLI, it says bad permissions.
xboxboy

Postby wintpe » Apr 21st, '15, 14:48

id run a port scan on your phone, to ensure that theres no firewall blocking access

since your phone is android, i would remind you that kitkat phones from samsung now include iptables and selinux as standard.

im not saying this is the case for yours but keep an open mind.

you can use nmap to perform a port scan on your phones ip address.

this will ensure that it is listening on those addresses, and that it is something at the client end you may be getting wrong.

different protocols prompt for passwords at different points in the connection setup.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby xboxboy » Apr 22nd, '15, 03:09

Pete, I can login over ssh using the terminal, I just can't get it done through dolphin.

The phone is a samsung, but running 4.3 jelly bean: I'm not sure how the effects things.

I'm not familiar with nmap, so could you please guide me?
Network at home is 10.0.0xxx, at work it is 192.168.1.xxxx. It fails at both.
xboxboy

Postby wintpe » Apr 22nd, '15, 17:02

sorry obviously misread the problem first time round

try something like :2222 in the dolphin sftp:/hostname:2222

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby xboxboy » Apr 23rd, '15, 01:38

Update: I now have a correctly working ~/.ssh/config file.

$ ssh 192.168.1.102
Warning: Permanently added '[192.168.1.102]:2222' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
SSHelper Version 7.3 Copyright 2014, P. Lutus
pilot@192.168.1.102's password:
X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0
GT-I9300:3.0.31-2168382
u0_a84@smdk4x12:/data/data/com.arachnoid.sshelper/home $ exit
Connection to 192.168.1.102 closed.

So, from CLI I can access phone just with IP address and password ie. my config file correctly specifies the port. This is true for both my samsung android phone and my nexus tablet.

But from Dolphin I still get the same issue as in the first post: Doesn't matter if I start dolphin from the icon or by "dolphin sftp://ip.of.android.device".

kex error : did not find one of algos diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 in list curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,ecdh-sha2-nistp256,ecdh-sha2-nistp384,ecdh-sha2-nistp521,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1 for kex algos

Just found I can access it via firefox browser with "sftp://10.0.0.52"

Strange why dolphin wont connect: Filezilla wont either.
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 24th, '15, 21:53

xboxboy wrote:I'm also unsure what directory I should be putting in the directory box, as the ssh server has it's own page: See http://arachnoid.com/android/SSHelper/

I've tried to make the config file as mentioned on the sshelper website page, but it doesn't work for me from the CLI, it says bad permissions.

I've recently also had that same issue. Problem is that for whatever weird reason both sftp and fish require you to specify a directory,
but that's not possible with the way that sshelper (or sshdroid in my case) work, they do it for you upon login. I ended up using airdroid instead,
and as it also didn't do what I wanted, I simply grabbed the SD card and did it in the new phone.

If you want to change the config file you probably need root permissions. Is you device rooted or not?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Apr 26th, '15, 16:20

Device isn't rooted, and TBH, I really don't want to root for various reasons.

So, my understanding is, the way that the sshelper app is setup confuses dolphin and filezilla in regards to the directory tree???
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '15, 19:02

xboxboy wrote:So, my understanding is, the way that the sshelper app is setup confuses dolphin and filezilla in regards to the directory tree???

Exactly - but to be honest dolphin requiring starting folder is also pretty dumb IMHO, because normal ssh connect works fine, dolphin should be able to do that, too.
----
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » May 1st, '15, 06:17

Ok, thanks Dok.

I've been emailing the author and he's been really helpful.

Are there any other GUI's ftp apps I could try or you can recommend?
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » May 1st, '15, 11:38

FTP? Sorry, no clue.
Only hint is you could try airdroid.
----
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » May 10th, '15, 15:09

Thanks Dok.

Out of curiousity I tried my old couldron install: It worked straight up. Dolphin's at version 4.14.1, where as my Mageia 4 install it's only at 4.12.5.

Awesome! I'm loving it now :)
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '15, 15:28

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
----
doktor5000

Return to Networking