I'd like to learn how to set up a file server using Mageia 4

I'd like to learn how to set up a file server using Mageia 4

Postby Atticrat » Oct 7th, '14, 02:11

I have an older Mac, two old WinXP boxes, and a Win7 laptop that I'd like to network around Mageia 4, since it is the only OS I've got that (possibly) has the capability.

This is all toward my studying for a CompTIA Network+ certificate, since it seems to me a fellow should have set up at least one network in his life before trying for that certificate...

Is there a source of tutorials available?
Atticrat

Re: I'd like to learn how to set up a file server using Mage

Postby xboxboy » Oct 7th, '14, 08:51

Yep, Mageia is up to the task.

I believe that because you'll have Windows boxes also, that Samba will be your best bet. You can set up a samba server on Mageia through the MCC (Magiea Control Centre), although if you want to know what's going on under the surface you're probably better off learning by using CLI.

I've set up one samba server a while back, it went well, I just got caught on opening the firewall up so the other PC's could get to the server.
xboxboy

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 7th, '14, 20:56

For the Mageia documentation on how to set that up, check viewtopic.php?p=51814#p51814 and for some more generic documentation you can have a look at viewtopic.php?p=51919#p51919
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Atticrat » Nov 6th, '14, 05:32

doktor5000 wrote:For the Mageia documentation on how to set that up, check viewtopic.php?p=51814#p51814 and for some more generic documentation you can have a look at viewtopic.php?p=51919#p51919

Thanks! I'll be doing some additional studying now...
Atticrat

Postby Atticrat » Jun 16th, '17, 05:47

I'll note an oddity I stumbled across using samba. Two of my laptops (both Acer Aspire One models, though not identical) were unable to detect the samba "Windows Workgroup" until I tracked the problem to them both missing the file gvfs-smb needed for the default file manager to support samba. Another laptop and a desktop had no such problem, though they'd all been set up the same way using the same Mageia installation ISO.
Atticrat

Return to Networking