[Solved] Enabling wireless LAN connection

[Solved] Enabling wireless LAN connection

Postby eldiener » Sep 6th, '14, 17:09

My wired ethernet connection on my mobo suddenly died on me but I installed a USB device to give me a wireless LAN connection to my modem/router. The USB device is a Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 which I had previously bought a few years back just for this type of emergency situation. I know the device is actually working since I am using it in other operating systems on my multi-boot computer without any connectivity problems.

I went through the MCC to add support for the wireless connection. Because I did not have Internet connectivity MCC could not install the package(s) needed. The messages I received are:

"Could not install the packages (ralink-firmware,ralink-firmware)."

followed by:

"Some packages (ralink-firmware) are required but aren't available. These packages can be found in Mageia, or in the official non-free package repository.
The following component is missing: /lib/firmware/rt2860.bin
The required files can also be installed from this URL:
http://www.ralinktech.com/
Ralink 802.11 n WLAN"

How can I get Mageia to install the necesary package(s) ? I do no know where on the ralinktech.com site I am supposed to get the required package.

I do have my Mageia 4 installation DVD but I did not see a way to get Mageia to get the package(s) it needs from the installation DVDs. I tried to add the DVD to the Mageia repositories through MCC but Mageia insisted it needed Internet access to even do that. It certainly seems to me that there should be some way to at least temporarily add the installation DVD to the list of repositories Mageia searches for packages, but I could not figure out how to do that. Even if I do accomplish adding the installation DVD I do not know if MCC will find the needed package(s) for Ralink from the DVD.

Any help would be appreciated to get Mageia setup to ue my wireless connection.
Last edited by eldiener on Sep 20th, '14, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
eldiener

Re: Enabling wireless LAN connection

Postby Latte » Sep 6th, '14, 18:08

Here is explained how to add a dvd as source: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... al_sources
If you have the dvd as iso please look at the topic one above how to setup an iso as loopback: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... ck_sources

Please ensure that you not only have the core repo from the DVD but also the non-free repo set up, because the ralink firmware is the non-free repo.
Latte

Postby eldiener » Sep 6th, '14, 20:01

Latte wrote:Here is explained how to add a dvd as source: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... al_sources
If you have the dvd as iso please look at the topic one above how to setup an iso as loopback: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... ck_sources

Please ensure that you not only have the core repo from the DVD but also the non-free repo set up, because the ralink firmware is the non-free repo.

I have the 64-bit DVD for Mageia 4, so I assume that the non-free repo is there also. I do not recall a separate DVD for non-free software. Have I missed one ?

How do I determine the medium path for my DVD in the Configure Local Sources dialog ?
eldiener

Postby Latte » Sep 7th, '14, 11:21

eldiener wrote:I have the 64-bit DVD for Mageia 4, so I assume that the non-free repo is there also.

You're correct, the non-free is also available on the DVD, but should be set up as extra repo apart from the core repo.

eldiener wrote:How do I determine the medium path for my DVD in the Configure Local Sources dialog ?

The path should direct to the "core" or the "nonfree" folder of your inserted DVD. In my case it looks like this:

/run/media/marc/Mageia-4.1-x86_64/x86_64/media/core/ for the 'core' and
/run/media/marc/Mageia-4.1-x86_64/x86_64/media/nonfree/ for the 'nonfree' repo respectively

I've tested it in a VB and it works quite well to install the ralink-firmware without any internet connection. If you use the iso as loopback device you'll need to adopt the path above accordingly.
Latte

Postby eldiener » Sep 7th, '14, 13:24

Latte wrote:
eldiener wrote:I have the 64-bit DVD for Mageia 4, so I assume that the non-free repo is there also.

You're correct, the non-free is also available on the DVD, but should be set up as extra repo apart from the core repo.

eldiener wrote:How do I determine the medium path for my DVD in the Configure Local Sources dialog ?

The path should direct to the "core" or the "nonfree" folder of your inserted DVD. In my case it looks like this:

/run/media/marc/Mageia-4.1-x86_64/x86_64/media/core/ for the 'core' and
/run/media/marc/Mageia-4.1-x86_64/x86_64/media/nonfree/ for the 'nonfree' repo respectively

I've tested it in a VB and it works quite well to install the ralink-firmware without any internet connection. If you use the iso as loopback device you'll need to adopt the path above accordingly.

I was able setup the local repository so when I setup the wireless connection it found the package it was looking for and completed the wireless setup.

But when I attempt the connection I get the non-informative response of "Connection failed !" is there some sort of log that can tell me why the connection failed so I can attempt to troubleshoot the problem ? I do have the wireless connection working on other OSs so I would like to get it working on Mageia 4, else I cannot get online in Mageia 4. I am hoping it is just some connection parameter rather than an inadequate Mageia 4 package for using my wireless RNX-EasyN1.
eldiener

Postby Latte » Sep 7th, '14, 13:53

eldiener wrote:is there some sort of log that can tell me why the connection failed so I can attempt to troubleshoot the problem ?

well, you can take a look into journalctl:
Code: Select all
journalctl -fa
as root while you try to connect with the wireless network
Latte

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 7th, '14, 14:24

Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby eldiener » Sep 8th, '14, 02:26

Latte wrote:
eldiener wrote:is there some sort of log that can tell me why the connection failed so I can attempt to troubleshoot the problem ?

well, you can take a look into journalctl:
journalctl -fa
as root while you try to connect with the wireless network

The result from journalctl -fa as I attempt to make the wireless connection is:
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: modified file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: modified file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: changed mode of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 to 700
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: written wlan0 interface configuration in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: created file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: running: /usr/sbin/wpa_cli reconfigure
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: running: /usr/sbin/ifdown wlan0 daemon
Sep 07 12:53:46 localhost.localdomain draknetcenter[3641]: running: /usr/sbin/ifup wlan0 daemon
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: ifcfg-rh: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ...
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: <warn> failed to allocate link cache: (-10) Operation not supported
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: ifcfg-rh:     error: Missing SSID
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: ifcfg-rh: removed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0.
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: ifcfg-rh: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ...
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: <warn> failed to allocate link cache: (-10) Operation not supported
Sep 07 12:53:47 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1079]: ifcfg-rh:     error: Missing SSID

Why is the SSID missing ? After all when I click the Connect button I am choosing my wireless connection from the list provided by the Network Manager and the name I choose is a perfectly valid SSID. The wireless connection is my own local one which I have already configured.
eldiener

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 8th, '14, 21:34

Can you please provide the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 and also the following:

lspcidrake -v | grep -i net
ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -ie net -e wpa
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby eldiener » Sep 9th, '14, 01:56

doktor5000 wrote:Can you please provide the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=35
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=no
RESOLV_MODS=no
WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
WIRELESS_ESSID=EdDienerNet
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=s:XXXXXXXXXX
WIRELESS_WPA_DRIVER=wext
WIRELESS_WPA_REASSOCIATE=no
IPV6INIT=no
IPV6TO4INIT=no
ACCOUNTING=no
DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
NEEDHOSTNAME=no
PEERDNS=yes
PEERYP=yes
PEERNTPD=no

I have Xed out the password.

doktor5000 wrote:and also the following:

r8169           : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.|RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:10ec device:8168 subv:1462 subd:376c) (rev: 01)

root        24     2  0 19:28 ?        00:00:00 [netns]
root      1084     1  0 19:28 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
root      1343     1  0 19:28 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -P /run/wpa_supplicant.pid
500       2804  2069  0 19:29 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/net_applet
eldiener

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '14, 07:09

You currently have both net_applet and networkmanager running. Please disable one of those two.
Check viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5782 for pointers on how to do that.

Also, should your connection only be WEP? Otherwise please also post the end of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (and remove your password too) that is, every line that isn't prepended by a # sign.
----
doktor5000

Postby eldiener » Sep 9th, '14, 16:49

doktor5000 wrote:You currently have both net_applet and networkmanager running. Please disable one of those two.
Check viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5782 for pointers on how to do that.

Also, should your connection only be WEP? Otherwise please also post the end of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (and remove your password too) that is, every line that isn't prepended by a # sign.

I disabled net_applet and ran
sed -i 's/NM_CONTROLLED=no/NM_CONTROLLED=yes/' /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
as root. Then I rebooted. The same problem trying to connect occurred with the same errors showing as previously when I used
journalctl -fa
to see what was happening.

My connection uses WPA-PSK, not WEP. The non-comment lines from /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf are:

eapol_version=1
fast_reauth=1
blob-base64-exampleblob={
SGVsbG8gV29ybGQhCg==
}
network={
    psk="XXXXXXXXXX"
    priority=1
    ssid="EdDienerNet"
    scan_ssid=0
}
eldiener

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '14, 22:12

Please remove the current network interface via "remove a connection" in mcc http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/4/en/content/mcc-network.html and try again with networkmanager.
----
doktor5000

Postby eldiener » Sep 10th, '14, 02:30

doktor5000 wrote:Please remove the current network interface via "remove a connection" in mcc http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/4/en/content/mcc-network.html and try again with networkmanager.

I did this but the same error is still occurring:

Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: ifcfg-rh: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ...
Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: <warn> failed to allocate link cache: (-10) Operation not supported
Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: ifcfg-rh:     error: Missing SSID
Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: ifcfg-rh: removed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0.
Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: ifcfg-rh: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ...
Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: <warn> failed to allocate link cache: (-10) Operation not supported
Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: ifcfg-rh:     error: Missing SSID

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 with the key X'ed out is:

DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=35
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=yes
RESOLV_MODS=no
WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
WIRELESS_ESSID=EdDienerNet
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=s:XXXXXXXXXX
WIRELESS_WPA_DRIVER=wext
WIRELESS_WPA_REASSOCIATE=no
IPV6INIT=no
IPV6TO4INIT=no
ACCOUNTING=no
DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
NEEDHOSTNAME=no
PEERDNS=yes
PEERYP=yes
PEERNTPD=no

The error message about the 'Missing SSID' must mean something. If it is looking for something in the ifcfg-wlan0 that it can not find, this implies that the setting up of he connection is not creating the necessary file correctly. If it is saying that there is no 'EdDienerNet' wireless LAN then there is something wrong software-wise between the Network Manager, which finds exactly that ID among others, and the connection processing of the Network Manager which denies that the ID is valid.
eldiener

Wireless networking failure

Postby eldiener » Sep 17th, '14, 06:34

Since I was unable to get a solution to my wireless networking problem in the Networking sub-forum I have decided to post my problem here in he main Basic Support forum. Hopefully some Mageia developer acquainted with the wireless networking code in MCC's Network Manager will see my post and give me the answer which I never received in the sub-forum.

My wired ethernet connection on my mobo suddenly died on me but I installed a USB device to give me a wireless LAN connection to my modem/router. The USB device is a Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 which I had previously bought a few years back just for this type of emergency situation. I know the device is actually working since I am using it in other operating systems on my multi-boot computer without any connectivity problems.

I went through the MCC to add support for the wireless connection. When I try to make the connection, with my own wireless connection which Network Manager shows me in its list and which I setup with the correct password key in Network Manager and which I have selected, I get a "Connection failed..." message. When I execute:

journalctl -fa

to see what is happening I receive:

Sep 09 19:33:06 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1166]: ifcfg-rh: removed /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0.

This is after I have already chosen my wireless network connection in Network Manager from its own list:

There must be some Mageia developer who programmed this and can tell me what is happening here. How can Network Manager show me my wireless network, displaying its SSID which I have configured on my router/modem and which is seen correctly, and then when I try to connect to it tell me that the SSID is missing ? Missing from what ?

I hope someone can help me out. I can not continue to use Mageia if I can't use my wireless connection. I have successfully been able to use the same wireless connection on CentOS6.5, CentOS7, Fedora 20, OpenSuse 13.1, Mint 17, Ubuntu 14, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1. It would be really odd, knowing the quality of Mageia4, if I cannot get this to work on Mageia in any way.
eldiener

Re: Wireless networking failure

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '14, 07:21

eldiener wrote:Since I was unable to get a solution to my wireless networking problem in the Networking sub-forum I have decided to post my problem here in he main Basic Support forum. Hopefully some Mageia developer acquainted with the wireless networking code in MCC's Network Manager will see my post and give me the answer which I never received in the sub-forum.

Sorry, by just opening a second thread for the same problem will not help with that. I've merged the new one into the existing thread.
----
doktor5000

Re: Wireless networking failure

Postby eldiener » Sep 17th, '14, 08:19

doktor5000 wrote:
eldiener wrote:Since I was unable to get a solution to my wireless networking problem in the Networking sub-forum I have decided to post my problem here in he main Basic Support forum. Hopefully some Mageia developer acquainted with the wireless networking code in MCC's Network Manager will see my post and give me the answer which I never received in the sub-forum.

Sorry, by just opening a second thread for the same problem will not help with that. I've merged the new one into the existing thread.

Please do not do that. I placed the thread in the basic support forum in order to get a reply from others who may see it, particularly Mageia developers. By unilaterally removing it from there you are basically making sure that no one will help me. While I appreciate your help here you were not able to solve my problem and now you are actively preventing me from having it solved by anyone else. I do not appreciate that at all. I do no see how you can be so sure that opening another thread on a more widely read forum will not help me, but I know it can not hinder me from seeking a solution.
eldiener

Postby marja » Sep 17th, '14, 10:17

eldiener wrote:
doktor5000 wrote:Sorry, by just opening a second thread for the same problem will not help with that. I've merged the new one into the existing thread.

Please do not do that. I placed the thread in the basic support forum in order to get a reply from others who may see it, particularly Mageia developers. By unilaterally removing it from there you are basically making sure that no one will help me. While I appreciate your help here you were not able to solve my problem and now you are actively preventing me from having it solved by anyone else. I do not appreciate that at all. I do no see how you can be so sure that opening another thread on a more widely read forum will not help me, but I know it can not hinder me from seeking a solution.

I don't know of any mageia developer who regularly visits one of the forums. When a developer visits it, it is usually because doktor5000 asked.
Almost three hours ago, doktor5000 posted a link to this thread in the #mageia-dev IRC channel, asking the developer who can most likely help to take a look. If that developer can free up some time to help you (he needs to earn a living, too, of course), he certainly will.
marja

Postby colin » Sep 17th, '14, 10:38

Sorry, I've not really got a huge amount of time just now to read the forum. All I can say is that you should almost certainly try and use NetworkManager and avoid the drakx stuff. It's very much bitrotted in the last few years and while it still works in some setups, I've not had much time or inclinitation to fiddle with it.

If this is in Cauldron, I did recently break the initscripts ifup-wireless stuff, which I've now reverted (again due to lack of time or inclination to fix the old stuff), but if this is MGA4 then I'm afraid there isn't much I can really do - either way I'd suggest you should still be looking at Network Manager and just avoid the initscripts bits.

Sorry if that's not really that useful a reply!
colin

Postby eldiener » Sep 17th, '14, 11:07

colin wrote:Sorry, I've not really got a huge amount of time just now to read the forum. All I can say is that you should almost certainly try and use NetworkManager and avoid the drakx stuff. It's very much bitrotted in the last few years and while it still works in some setups, I've not had much time or inclinitation to fiddle with it.

If this is in Cauldron, I did recently break the initscripts ifup-wireless stuff, which I've now reverted (again due to lack of time or inclination to fix the old stuff), but if this is MGA4 then I'm afraid there isn't much I can really do - either way I'd suggest you should still be looking at Network Manager and just avoid the initscripts bits.

Sorry if that's not really that useful a reply!

I am using Network Manager. It is MGA4. I am getting an error message that makes no sense. Someone must know the code where the error message is occurring to be able to know what it means. I am a programmer myself so I know that at least that is possible. I do not know what "drakx" stuff is or what "initscripts" are involved but I assure you I did not do anything at a low level but am just using Network Manager in the Mageia4 MCC. Somewhere along the line there must be some explanation of why I would be getting a message saying that "error: Missing SSID" when Network Manager itself is showing the wireless network with exactly the aforementioned SSID.

Sorry if I seem annoyed, but naturally I would like to keep using Mageia. There is no guarantee that anything should work in software and if Mageia4 simply did not support my wireless connection I would understand and move on. But it presents everything as if it should work and then when I try to connect I get an error message which is meaningless given the situation. Of course it is possible that the error message I am seeing I completely fictitious and it is impossible to find out from the Network Manager software why the failure to connect is occurring, in which case I will again move on.
eldiener

Postby marja » Sep 17th, '14, 11:14

After I switched to NetworkManager, I had to remove all drakx-net packages (including libdrakx-net) to get NetworkManager to work properly. If you didn't already do that, you can remove them, as you will know, with
rpm -e --nodeps <packagenames>
marja

Postby eldiener » Sep 17th, '14, 17:21

marja wrote:After I switched to NetworkManager, I had to remove all drakx-net packages (including libdrakx-net) to get NetworkManager to work properly. If you didn't already do that, you can remove them, as you will know, with

I assume NetworkManager refers to MCC Network Center, which is what I am using to try to connect with my wireless networking.

It appears that the drakx-net packages have other packages depending on them that will not work without them, so erasing them will destroy other packages I need. At least that is what the Software Installation app in MCC is telling me. So if I erase the drakx-net packages I am destroying MCC itself, the Update app, Radeon firmware ( I have a Radeon adapter ), and other thing I need to run even if I tell rpm not to remove those dependencies with the --nodeps option. Or are you saying that removing the drakx-net packages really does not impact those other apps at all ? The list of apps that supposedly rely on the drakx-net packages is:

- drakconf-12.51-1.mga4.noarch
- drakguard-1.1-1.mga4.noarch
- drakx-kbd-mouse-x11-1.2-1.mga4.x86_64
- drakx-net-2.12-1.mga4.noarch
- drakx-net-applet-2.12-1.mga4.noarch
- drakx-net-text-2.12-1.mga4.noarch
- drakxtools-16.26.11-1.mga4.x86_64
- drakxtools-curses-16.26.11-1.mga4.x86_64
- harddrake-16.26.11-1.mga4.x86_64
- harddrake-ui-16.26.11-1.mga4.x86_64
- mgaonline-3.10-1.mga4.noarch
- radeon-firmware-20140119-1.mga4.nonfree.noarch
- rpmdrake-6.10.3-1.mga4.noarch
- userdrake-2.5-1.mga4.x86_64

I am unwilling to remove the drakx-net packages if the apps in the list stop working because then I don't have a system to run anymore.
eldiener

Postby jkerr82508 » Sep 17th, '14, 19:36

eldiener wrote:I assume NetworkManager refers to MCC Network Center, which is what I am using to try to connect with my wireless networking.

Network configuration in MCC is drakx-net.

It appears that the drakx-net packages have other packages depending on them that will not work without them, so erasing them will destroy other packages I need.

That is why marja suggested using

rpm -e --nodeps

Using that command removes only the packages explicitly named, and no others. Note you must use "rpm -e" and not urpme.

IIRC if you install Network Manager, there will be an icon in the system tray which you can use to configure it.

Jim
Last edited by jkerr82508 on Sep 17th, '14, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
jkerr82508

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 17th, '14, 19:56

marja wrote:After I switched to NetworkManager, I had to remove all drakx-net packages (including libdrakx-net) to get NetworkManager to work properly. If you didn't already do that, you can remove them, as you will know, with

No, that is definitely not required. I've already posted the link for the thread how to switch back and forth between networkmanager and net_applet.
For completeness sake: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5782

eldiener wrote:I am using Network Manager.

eldiener wrote:I assume NetworkManager refers to MCC Network Center, which is what I am using to try to connect with my wireless networking.

No, networkmanager does not refer to MCC network center. There's net_applet, the default Mageia tool in the systray to manage connections together with the tools from MCC, draknetcenter/drakconnect and drakroam. The opposite is networkmanager, see https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager for more information.
Those tools are conflicting often.

My suggestion would be as follows:

delete all your currently configured interfaces via
drakconnect --del

remove any remaining configurations:

/usr/bin/ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* | grep -v lo$ | xargs echo rm -f
rm -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/wireless.d/*
urpme wpa_supplicant; urpmi wpa_supplicant

Then provide the output of the following commands again:

and, as root:
ifconfig -a
journalctl -b -u network --no-pager -a
systemctl status network.service -a
journalctl -ab | grep -iE "fw|firmware|iwl|wifi|wire|80211"
----
doktor5000

Postby eldiener » Sep 19th, '14, 04:51

Whatever defines Network Manager I was using MCC to setup and make the connection.

I ran:

drakconnect --del

and then:

/usr/bin/ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* | grep -v lo$ | xargs echo rm -f
rm -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/wireless.d/*
urpme wpa_supplicant; urpmi wpa_supplicant

Finally here is the requested output from the commands you suggested.

root        24     2  0 19:35 ?        00:00:00 [netns]
root      1358     1  0 19:39 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -P /run/wpa_supplicant.pid

ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1D:92:B0:B8:D4 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1161 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1161 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:108248 (105.7 KiB)  TX bytes:108248 (105.7 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:6F:5B:66:FA 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

journalctl -b -u network --no-pager -a
-- Logs begin at Sat 2013-06-22 18:08:41 EDT, end at Thu 2014-09-18 20:06:17 EDT. --
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking...
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Bringing up loopback interface:  ./ifup: interface ifcfg-lo is controlled by NetworkManager; skipping.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: [  OK  ]
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Configuring wireless regulatory domain  [  OK  ]
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Bringing up interface eth0:  Error: Connection activation failed: Device not managed by NetworkManager or unavailable
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: [FAILED]
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Bringing up interface wlan0:  ./ifup: interface ifcfg-wlan0 is controlled by NetworkManager; skipping.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: network.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit network.service entered failed state.

systemctl status network.service -a
network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2014-09-18 19:39:27 EDT; 32min ago

Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Bringing up loopback interface:  ./ifup: interface ifcfg-lo is controlled by NetworkManager; skipping.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Configuring wireless regulatory domain  [  OK  ]
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Bringing up interface eth0:  Error: Connection activation failed: Device not managed by NetworkManager or unavailable
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: [FAILED]
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain network[1265]: Bringing up interface wlan0:  ./ifup: interface ifcfg-wlan0 is controlled by NetworkManager; skipping.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: network.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Bring up/down networking.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit network.service entered failed state.

journalctl -ab | grep -iE "fw|firmware|iwl|wifi|wire|80211"
Sep 18 19:35:47 localhost.localdomain kernel: firewire_ohci 0000:04:00.0: added OHCI v1.10 device as card 0, 4 IR + 8 IT contexts, quirks 0x11
Sep 18 19:35:47 localhost.localdomain kernel: firewire_core 0000:04:00.0: created device fw0: GUID 00dc1000015522aa, S400
Sep 18 19:35:47 localhost.localdomain kernel: usb 2-1: Product: Back-UPS RS 1500 FW:8.g9 .D USB FW:g9
Sep 18 19:35:47 localhost.localdomain kernel: usb 2-1: Product: Back-UPS RS 1500 FW:8.g9 .D USB FW:g9
Sep 18 19:35:47 localhost.localdomain kernel: hid-generic 0003:051D:0002.0001: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Device [American Power Conversion Back-UPS RS 1500 FW:8.g9 .D USB FW:g9 ] on usb-0000:00:13.1-1/input0
Sep 18 19:35:48 localhost.localdomain kernel: input: Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:1025 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.4/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0006/input/input16
Sep 18 19:35:48 localhost.localdomain kernel: logitech-djdevice 0003:046D:C52B.0007: input,hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:1025] on usb-0000:00:13.4-2:1
Sep 18 19:35:50 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Sep 18 19:35:50 localhost.localdomain kernel: ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 3070, rev 0200 detected
Sep 18 19:35:50 localhost.localdomain kernel: ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 0005 detected
Sep 18 19:35:50 localhost.localdomain kernel: ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 0 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: US
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 1700 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 2300 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 80000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:35:52 localhost.localdomain kernel: cfg80211:   (57240000 KHz - 63720000 KHz @ 2160000 KHz), (N/A, 4000 mBm)
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1123]: <info> monitoring kernel firmware directory '/lib/firmware'.
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1123]: <info> rfkill0: found WiFi radio killswitch (at /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.5/usb6/6-8/6-8:1.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill0) (driver rt2800usb)
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1123]: <info> WiFi hardware radio set enabled
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1123]: <info> WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1123]: <info> (wlan0): using nl80211 for WiFi device control
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[1123]: <info> (wlan0): new 802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'rt2800usb' ifindex: 3)
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain kernel: ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
Sep 18 19:39:27 localhost.localdomain kernel: ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.29
Sep 18 19:40:00 localhost.localdomain kernel: IFWLOG: register target
Last edited by doktor5000 on Sep 19th, '14, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
eldiener

Next

Return to Networking