networkmanager and associated problems

networkmanager and associated problems

Postby sreejiraj » Jul 1st, '11, 05:34

Hi,

I decided to install network manager because of an old bug that has been inherited from Mandriva -- the default network configuration in Mandriva/Mageia asks for a four digit pin for my wireless broadband card.

Normally, installing networkmanager and using it with my wireless broadband card (ZTE something..) is a breeze, whether it's fedora, ubuntu or debian.

But in Mageia (no idea about Mandriva, but suspect it's been solved there,) networkmanager connects, technically, to the network. It shows that the network has been connected (using the pop up), but the packets never make it out to the Internet.

When I ping, the local IP (IP acquired from the WAN) tells me network is unreachable. This issue's not there in other distros which easily let me use my wireless broadband card.

My questions are:

Why are we not defaulting to network manager since it is, in my opinion, a much more elegant solution and there is a lot of developer momentum behind it?

and

Can someone check out if the networkmanager (I am using the gnome DE) can actually connect through the mobile broadband module or not? NM works fine for wifi and wired.
sreejiraj

Re: networkmanager and associated problems

Postby jkerr82508 » Jul 1st, '11, 08:50

Network Manager works for me using Gnome and a ZTE mobile broadband dongle.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 1st, '11, 16:19

A while back i also had problem running a ZTE stick on Mandriva, in the end i removed usb_modeswitch
and used sakis3g, which worked out really well. The author also has a howto, how setup sakis3g so it automagically
connects when you plugin your broadband modem.

http://www.sakis3g.org/
http://wiki.sakis3g.org/wiki/index.php? ... s3G_UI#OSD

Never used networkmanager though, but from what i heard, it seems to be working really well for other people.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby David_Batson » Jul 2nd, '11, 04:16

I use Network Manager in Fedora 15 Gnome. Wouldn't work in Mageia 1 KDE for me. Kept crashing the X server. Haven't tried Mageia 1 Gnome.
David_Batson

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 2nd, '11, 14:44

Did you write any bug reports about networkmanager crashing Xserver?
AFAICS there are none about this problem.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby David_Batson » Jul 3rd, '11, 14:10

doktor5000 wrote:Did you write any bug reports about networkmanager crashing Xserver?
AFAICS there are none about this problem.

No. I ended up using kppp and forgot about networkmanager. Since I am not using networkmanager now and don't need it, I am reluctant to file a bug report.

What happened was if I had an active interface such as WLAN or WWAN, I could not open anything on the desktop or from the menu, but I could choose a couple of things from the menu such as Shutdown or Logout. If I had my WLAN radio turned off or did not have WWAN enabled, I did not have any such crashes. I only found out it was an X server crash from when I had Terminal open one time. Before that I really didn't know what was going on. When I uninstalled networkmanager I had no more of these crashes. If I reinstalled it, they came back.
David_Batson

Return to Networking