Mozilla freezes the system.

Mozilla freezes the system.

Postby pipesmoker » Jun 8th, '11, 14:42

Not a mageia problem but when browsing with Firefox the system freezes, accepts no input from peripherals and the only answer is to pull the power plug.

It's a bit like an interrupt conflict. Is that possible just using a browser?
pipesmoker

Re: Mozilla freezes the system.

Postby rc2011 » Jun 8th, '11, 17:45

Have you given Chrome or Chromium a try? Does it do the same thing? With Firefox, maybe it is the flash plug-in? Are you using Adobe flash, 32bit or 64bit? My guess is it may be the flash plug-in or if you have a 3D card and are using Nouveau driver for it, it could be Nouveau. If you don't like Chrome or Chromium then try Opera. At least to see if it still does the same thing.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals, dying of nothing.
rc2011

Postby sant » Jun 8th, '11, 22:04

I'm using Firefox from x86_64 Mageia 1 box with flashplayer10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz installed in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Several times the system had crashed (with no reaction from peripherals just like pipesmoker had) when i was switching from the full-screen and windowed mode of flash-apps. The same plugin worked stable on Mandriva 2010.2 x86_64.
sant

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 8th, '11, 22:18

Also stumbled over such issues, with nspluginwrapper and 32bit flash combo and also with native 64bit flashplayer "square" ( just like sant).
Currently i've disabled all unneeded plugins and addons, and it does not seem directly related to flash,
i.e. happens also when there is no tab with flash content opened.

One suggestion would be to check the firefox error console, but this didn't gave me more information about the hangups,
as sometimes it's really a hard lockup, with only Magic SysRq key combinations working to reboot the system.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby isadora » Jun 9th, '11, 09:32

There are already many messages written about freezing systems.
Had issues at my own system as well, this seemed to be a combination of the NVidia-driver 270.41.19 and desktop effects.
System got frozen after trying to resize a window. No problems since disabling theses effects.
In my case it is not just a Mageia-thing, happens everywhere in Linux-land with this one driver.
So, just wait until NVidia 275.something is distributed.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby rom1dep » Jun 11th, '11, 12:38

I encountered freezes just as described by sant on intel hardware with flash 64.
X server shouldn't be as sensitive I agree, but try first to remove the flash player and see if problems persists.
rom1dep

Return to Networking