[SOLVED] No Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to GNOME

[SOLVED] No Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to GNOME

Postby falcon40 » Aug 26th, '12, 21:57

I have installed several desktop environments/window managers and the only environment/manager which gives me wireless access is KDE (initial install). Has anyone seen this behavior in the past and know of a solution? I know I could stick with KDE all the time but in the interest of learning how network access works between environments/managers I would like to pursue this issue.

Problem is duplicated on two machines with different network cards. Whenever leaving KDE to another environment/manager (Gnome, LXDE or E17) network access fails. Logging out and back into KDE is not enough. I must reboot, log into KDE and wireless access is then restored.

Never had this issue before. Thanks for any clues.

falcon40
Last edited by falcon40 on Aug 27th, '12, 11:30, edited 3 times in total.
falcon40

Re: Lose Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to GNOME

Postby falcon40 » Aug 27th, '12, 04:01

I will reinstall and just use KDE. The wireless was always a little peculiar with my Cisco (ralink rt73) usb NIC but I suppose trying to layer other desktops on top of the base has proven to be just too much. Still a Mageia proponent--just sticking to one environment. I love the fact that Mageia offers opportunity to explore other GUIs. I hope they continue to work any kinks out. I will consider this issue [CLOSED].

falcon40
falcon40

Re: Lose Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to GNOME

Postby Ken-Bergen » Aug 27th, '12, 04:29

falcon40 wrote:I will reinstall and just use KDE.
I thought wireless already worked for you in KDE. :o

A re-install with just KDE doesn't solve anything but only prevents you from logging into other desktops.

If you don't want to find out and have fixed the wifi problems in other than KDE desktop so be it but I wouldn't call this solved.
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Re: No Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to GNOME

Postby falcon40 » Aug 27th, '12, 09:08

Hello Ken-Bergen,

Thank you for the reply. I have edited the subject to remove the "closed" moniker. I did not want to trouble the whole for one unique occurence. Thanks for correcting me and allowing me to proceed further.

I reinstalled with KDE only and wireless connectivity initiates and holds after each boot. What I have done in the past is use the "task-XXX" packages to add desktops. I used to use the DVD (free) version and did not seem to have too many problems. This time I used the Live CD to install Mageia 2 and, in KDE, everything is much more consistent and predictable. I noticed that if I tried to install from boot, I experienced random dropouts. However, if I ran the Live CD and installed from within the test environment I ended with a rock solid implementation that initiates wireless connectivity every time. (This may be one reason there is such a divide in opinion on whether the wireless scripts, commands and programs are sufficient.) Before I try to reinstall other desktops, is there a particular process which should be followed?

One thing I am wondering about is whether removing "mono" instances can break the network connectivity of all the other desktops. I did try to remove any "mono" instances (no particular agenda, necessarily--just trying different implementations). Other than that I did not do anything I have not done in the past.

I will await a reply in the event you or others have any insight before I try again. I am not averse to additional trial and error as it helps me learn but the process is time consuming. I am a little wary as once I tried to access other environments, that is when all my issues started.

falcon40
falcon40

Postby Ken-Bergen » Aug 27th, '12, 09:34

Your wireless connection should be desktop agnostic. So try installing task-XXX then log out and log into XXX.
If wireless is broken in XXX please file a bug report at https://bugs.mageia.org/
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby falcon40 » Aug 27th, '12, 09:44

O.K. I will try that. Hopefully everything will go smoothly this time. I will try one environment at a time. I will start with GNOME. Thank you.

falcon40
falcon40

Postby falcon40 » Aug 27th, '12, 11:00

Ken,
Long story--short: Operator error (for the most part).

I knew it had to be operator error in some shape or fashion (I am used to being the culprit most of the time). It appears I am not able to manage the network connection through GNOME's network settings but apparently connectvity is active nevertheless. There is an applet, "net_applet" which is hidden in the lower right-hand corner. Connectivity can be handled through it. It looks like it goes to the familiar connectivity program I use in KDE. This must be that agnostic capability you spoke of.

GNOME's network icon shows, "Wired--cable unplugged" and "Wireless--unmanaged." When I click on "Network Settings" the wireless option has the Network name grayed out rendering any attempts to initiate/modify futile. I clearly have lots more to learn (I did not think otherwise). GNOMES interface is very different but it appears Mageia has made strides to address issues with tools of their own.

The only frustration is that the GNOME icon set seems to suggest there is no wireless connectivity. Actually, it is just letting us know it is not controlling that aspect of the operating system...learn something new every day.

I still suspect mono may be intertwined with more inner workings than I had originally thought. This time I left the mono bindings in tact and I was able to log back into KDE with absolute connectivity every time. Before, it was hit or miss. I fully realize it is possible there was more operator error in that scenario as well.

I will try basic Gnome, Enlightenment and LXDE. I will keep this open for now but I think I will close it out very soon. I think the "bug" is me.

Thanks again for encouraging me to not give up.

falcon40
falcon40

Re: [Solved] No Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to G

Postby falcon40 » Aug 27th, '12, 11:43

Ken,

Thanks again for "pushing" me to try again. Everything worked perfectly. No hiccups, no problems, just smooth transitions form one desktop to the next. I just had to remember that E17 does not load with desktop effects enabled. Once again, I am reminded of why I like Mageia (Mandriva beforehand) so much. Not only is the software head and shoulders above the rest, you demonstrated that the community promotes progress and innovation the right way--helping others learn more so they can be more active participants.

Although you could have ignored my post, you challenged me to try again and figure it out. I recall you helping me with some other issues a few years back. I learned something new and was reminded of other issues through the process:

1) Never give up
2) Mageia has thought of most things, and
3) The community does not look down on people like me who just are not as familiar with everything--they help bring us along--without too much hand holding (important for real learning)

If someone were to ask me about this I feel I have some experiential knowledge (very little) to help them out with.

Thanks again. Now this item is "Closed" or "Solved."

falcon40
falcon40

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 27th, '12, 21:30

falcon40 wrote:I knew it had to be operator error in some shape or fashion (I am used to being the culprit most of the time). It appears I am not able to manage the network connection through GNOME's network settings but apparently connectvity is active nevertheless. There is an applet, "net_applet" which is hidden in the lower right-hand corner. Connectivity can be handled through it. It looks like it goes to the familiar connectivity program I use in KDE. This must be that agnostic capability you spoke of.

GNOME's network icon shows, "Wired--cable unplugged" and "Wireless--unmanaged." When I click on "Network Settings" the wireless option has the Network name grayed out rendering any attempts to initiate/modify futile. I clearly have lots more to learn (I did not think otherwise). GNOMES interface is very different but it appears Mageia has made strides to address issues with tools of their own.

Yes, the default setup when switching with an existing set-up wireless connection to GNOME is quite bad :(
It seems you don't have a connection, and things are broken, while net_applet is just hidden (but you can see it flashing shortly
during login process).

Also partly described in https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5250 and https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5583
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] No Wireless Access When Switching From KDE to G

Postby falcon40 » Aug 29th, '12, 11:14

doktor5000,

Thank you for sharing the bug report links. It was good reading and lets me know I was not totally off base the first two times I tried it. Everything worked the third time and, of course, when I did not try to modify anything. It certainly highlights the challenges GNU/Linux distributions face in the interest of complete interoperability. They are challenged with interoperability between desktops and between operating systems. No other operating system/distribution I am aware of even attempts to accomplish that. As GNU/Linux users, and for certain Mageia users, we have come to expect it. Mageia takes on the challenge of being inclusive rather than exclusive. Admirable in my opinion.

Thanks again,

falcon40
falcon40

Return to Networking