[SOLVED] broadcom wireless problem

[SOLVED] broadcom wireless problem

Postby bobcatbrown520 » Aug 26th, '12, 18:38

I installed my system once before and wireless worked out of the box. I tried another distro and didnt like it so decided to go back to Mageia, only this time after the install it wouldn't install the wireless. So I had to hook up my laptop to a hard wire connection, updated the system, then it installed the broadcom wireless firmware. Ok I'm thinking great. I reboot my computer, the wireless light comes on, it shows the list of all available wirelss networks around (so it is seeing wireless) I go to try and connect to my network and it tells me failure to connect. I have my settings and the wireless password EXACTLY the same as it is on all the other boxes in my house but for some reason I cannot get it to connect!! Any suggestions anybody.........gettin fed up and thinking about putting the PcLinux thats on my wife's laptop on my laptop as she never had any of these issues during or after install!!
Last edited by bobcatbrown520 on Aug 27th, '12, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
bobcatbrown520

Re: broadcom wireless problem

Postby tom_ » Aug 26th, '12, 20:56

gnome or kde?
networkmanager or netapplet or...?
which wireless device do you have?
can we see the connections log (the last part of /var/log/syslog)?
tom_

Postby michel » Aug 26th, '12, 20:59

Have a look at the network icon bottom right of your screen. Right click and choose active interfaces. Is your wireless active?

Then right click and choose configure network and then wireless. Is broadcom highlighted or ndis wrapper?

Michel
michel

Postby bobcatbrown520 » Aug 27th, '12, 23:13

<<<<<<<<<<<<SOLVED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The hell with Mageia.............I installed the PcLinux......works out of the box. The rest of these distros need to get their stuff together......if PcLinux can make it work out of the box the rest of em should too
bobcatbrown520

Re: broadcom wireless problem<<<<<SOLVED>>>>>>>

Postby tom_ » Aug 28th, '12, 11:23

Thanks a lot for the help you gave us answering each our question
while we were trying to solve your personal problem...
tom_

Return to Networking